Runners need feedback/advice

Options
Hello fellow runners.....lately I've been experiencing headaches 30-40 minutes after my runs. I typically run a 10 min mile, and I believe my breathing is fine. Any ideas or advice? I'm wondering if it is maybe allergies (I run outside in Chicago). Just curious if anyone else experiences this and has any advice.

Replies

• Montarosa456
    Options
    Hmmm
    Are you drinking enough? It could be dehydration after the run that is giving you a headache? Plus are you eating enough? As this can cause dizzyness/headaches?
    Not sure what else to suggest...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I started drinking chocolate almond milk after my runs. I usually have a pretty decent recovery now.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I get migraines after runs if I don't drink enough water, before and after. Also, allergies/pollen also affect me in the spring.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i just got home from running and have the same headache. maybe it's dehydration. it was cold here and i didn't cover my ears, but the headache always happens. I'm in Albuquerque, btw.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do you hydrate enough before & after the run? If you drink coffee before the run, it might cause dehydration, which causes headaches? Also, you should have a light protein & carb combo snack b/f your run. Like a slice of toast w/ P.B or a half a protein bar. I love my coffee in the a.m. (only time I drink it - so I have a cup as soon as I wake, and then have 2 cups of water, than pee like a horse (hehe)- and then go running.I eat a protein bar too. - I get hunger headaches if not!! now for allergies - living in Chicago is a huge factor due to the ever changing seasons (daily as you and I are experiencing it now:() and pollution! I get migraines because of the weather they are triggered from sinus/allergy/climate changes. Hope that helps - and I still love to run outside even if it gives me a big headache.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I will get a headache during recovery if I don't hydrate myself before and after my run.

I also can't run on an empty stomach, but if I eat too soon before a run I get cramped easily. So, on days when I am heading out for my long runs I wake up a good 2 hours before I'll run, have 2-3 glasses of water, and make myself a small bowl of oatmeal with PB and milk, or have 1/2 a bagel with PB and banana.

Allergies bug me too, but more so in the wheezing area as opposed to headaches.

Also, be sure to think about your posture - your body shouldn't be pushed forward, but rather you should be upright like standing straight. If you are pushing forward, you could be getting headaches from neck/shoulder strain.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    My typical running morning includes a protein bar and 16 ounces of water 30-45 minutes before the run. Does that not sound like enough water prior to the run? After running I have another 16 ounces of water and a snack. It may be that I should drink more water, I'll try that out and see if it helps. I should mention that I run on the Prairie Path so I'm surrounded by trees weeds and peoples back yards. Total allergy haven.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My typical running morning includes a protein bar and 16 ounces of water 30-45 minutes before the run. Does that not sound like enough water prior to the run?

I had about 8 oz. of water this morning and did 7 miles. That's pretty typical. If you stay hydrated during the day you don't need to do anything special before you run. Your body knows how to store water for when you need it and can't get a drink at the moment.
  • JenRun1
    Options
    My typical running morning includes a protein bar and 16 ounces of water 30-45 minutes before the run. Does that not sound like enough water prior to the run?

I had about 8 oz. of water this morning and did 7 miles. That's pretty typical. If you stay hydrated during the day you don't need to do anything special before you run. Your body knows how to store water for when you need it and can't get a drink at the moment.

Thank you...now I want waffles.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You might be low on nitrites, try eating something salty before or after a workout. I used to restrict salt because I thought it was unhealthy too eat too much. Turns out I was eating too little. I eat more salt now and don't get headaches after runs.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I will start out sounding like a broken record - hydration, hydration, hydration...

There are two sides to that coin, though. I run about your speed, usually doing a 5k in slightly over a half hour. I do not mouth breathe. I only breathe through my nose. I think you dehydrate much faster if you mouth breathe.
  • scribega
    scribega Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Weird, but maybe too much water? Like someone else said, if you drink enough through the day then you might not need that much before a run. The PP mentioned salt, some people will take a salt tablet to help keep hydrated during a run. Try that. Another thing maybe to try some gatorade also about 20 mins before a run.
  • kristinhardesty
    Options
    electrolytes?
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'll have to go with the dehydration. I had a killer migraine after doing a 3 mile fast walk, and I was an idiot and didn't drink any water. It hurt so bad, I couldn't see straight.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Water/dehydration. How much are you drinking before running? I typically try to do 20+ oz, up to 2hrs before running, then maybe 4oz right before i head out.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying my gut says dehydration. It could also be posture, are you standing up straight or food striking weird/different?
  • JenRun1
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying my gut says dehydration. It could also be posture, are you standing up straight or food striking weird/different?

Ya know I never thought about that, but I'm not a new runner, I've been running for 3 years now so I think I've got that all in check. I do stand up straight and don't notice anything wierd about my striking either. Tomorrows run, I'll pay more attention to it.
  • JenRun1
    Options
    electrolytes?

Good point!
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a hydration problem, but you probably want to tell your doctor about this as well, just to cover your buns......I would suggest that you hydrate before, during and after the runs. Mainly before and after if you are doing 40 minutes, anything longer you will want to either have a place you can stop for water or bring it with you.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I don't get headaches after every run. But I will get headaches after hard runs, not typcially my long runs, but more my tempo runs. I haven't 100% found the issue, but I do think it is electrolytes. I sweat A LOT, but I also drink a lot of water. I think the days I get headaches is because I'm straining more on the run, sweating more. Those days a gatorade seems to help. If you are a heavy sweater you may want to work on increasing your Salt, and potassium. ...that might help.