Ate something with MSG bad idea!

Options
StArBeLLa87
StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
Anyone get headaches after consuming something with MSG?

Replies

• nickip91
    nickip91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The last time I ate something with MSG (Chinese Takeaway) within 20 minutes I had a headache and chronic stomach pains to the point I went home from my volunteer work I felt so rough. I now know to avoid it at all costs! It's not worth the pain!

Seems like quite a common issue for a lot of people. Why they haven't banned it I don't know!
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    MSG makes me sooo sick now too. I get a headache and I feel really hung over and sick for the rest of the day.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    Doesn't seem to affect me. It's delicious!
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem to affect me. It's delicious!
    Yeah, it didn't use to bother me either until I quit eating it fora few months. Now I can't.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I love MSG.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My aunt gets bad migraines from MSG but it doesn't affect me or most of my family at all.
  • gabesgourmet
    Options
    After I started eating clean MSG became my mortal enemy...I don't get headaches-but GOOD LORD what it does to my tummy. It's in so much stuff-especially spice blends. I've had to throw them all away and make my own! MSG is EVIL!
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it'll trigger a migraine sometimes for me....not always though. I read labels to avoid it. Nasty stuff!
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can have slight amounts of it (like Soy Sauce for Sushi) but anything more than that and I am headed for a migraine and stomach/GI issues.

FYI - lots of prepackaged salads have it sprinkled on the greens to keep them green and crunchy and many salad bars also do that. Especially fast food restuarant salads!!! Chick-Fil-A is safe as is Wendy's - the rest of them - beware. I always ask now and am shocked by how many popular chain restuarants do it. When you ask, tell them you are allergic to MSG so that the wait staff will actually ask someone who knows and gets you the right answer.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    horrible headaches within a half hour. hangover feeling the next day. i dont touch anything with msg.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Chinese Restaurant syndrome

Do these things also give you headaches?

Free glutamate content of foods (mg per 100g)
    roquefort cheese 1280
    parmesan cheese 1200
    soy sauce 1090
    walnuts 658
    fresh tomato juice 260
    grape juice 258
    peas 200
    mushrooms 180
    broccoli 176
    tomatoes 140
    mushrooms 140
    oysters 137
    corn 130
    potatoes 102
    chicken 44
    mackerel 36
    beef 33
    eggs 23
    human milk 22
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Severe headaches......horrible.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    next time take the fortune OUT of the fortune cookie before eating it...

get it... ate something with msg...
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between free glutamate that is found naturally in foods and digestion and the manufactured stuff (MSG) - but in answer to your question to those of us with MSG problems - some of those items do actually give me headaches or slight tummy problems if they are eaten in excess but not the mind numbing migraines and major gastro issues that I get with MSG.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I used to have MSG problems but then I got this HTC One X and it works so well. Now I can get all the MSG I want.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love MSG.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have never been to Madison Square Garden so I cannot comment on any effects from the food there, no.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I used to have MSG problems but then I got this HTC One X and it works so well. Now I can get all the MSG I want.

I like my samsung galaxy ;)
  • TraceysJourney
    TraceysJourney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Brings on an asthma attack for me and sometimes tomato sauce can aswell lol:smile: