Trying to lose weight, vegan, and feeling weak

Options

Replies

• thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just became a vegan about 2 months ago for ethical reasons. I have also been trying to lose weight by controlling my diet and exercising. The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs. Eventually I cut back a bit on the exercise and started attending body pump, body attack, body step classes 1 hr each day. I feel that I definitely gained more definition in my body and my clothes fit better (from a size 7 down to 5 or 4) but my weight wouldn't budge. It hasn't been until the last few days that I finally saw the scale move (total of maybe 6-7 weeks) and I'm now down to 128. But I feel so weak. I know it's probably because I'm not eating enough protein being vegan. At first I felt myself getting stronger at body pump classes, but instead of feeling stronger each time I go now it feels so hard! And I'm lifting the same weight I've been lifting for 2 weeks. I've also been eating more, I think averaging around 1500 calories a day now but I still feel so weak and tired. I don't really count calories but I just estimate based on what I eat. Does anyone have suggestions what I could eat that may help me feel stronger?

Here is a sample daily menu:
    Breakfast: 1 slice of multigrain bread from Whole Foods (approximately 120 calories) with either vegan butter or almond butter, half a banana, and a glass of soy milk
    Lunch: Salad (lettuce, spinach, olives, cucumber, chick peas, peas, 2-3 slices of beets, croutons) without any dressing (sometimes 1-2 tablespoons of salsa sauce as dressing)
    Then I go to gym for 1 hr (either body pump, body step, body attack, or run on treadmill)
    Dinner: 1 glass of soymilk, 1-2 slices of bread toasted with almond butter or vegan butter, sometimes I'll add half a piece of vegan breakfast sausage (Tofurky brand) about 35 calories, some kind of fruit such as 4-5 strawberries or a pear or something else.
    And I drink lots and lots of tea
    Sometimes I'll also take a laxative to help move bowels along but I don't do this often, maybe only once a week.

Is this a troll post? I mean, honestly? You are living off soy milk, bread and nut butter and you don't understand why you are feeling weak?

You need to do some serious studying about diet before you land yourself in the hospital. There is more to a vegan diet than bread and soy milk. Not only are you restricting calories WAY too low, but your diet lacks any true nutrition.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You need to increase your food intake especially working out as much as you do. Buy a book on becoming Vegan, there's lots of good reading material to get you going in the right direction (food wise). Last bit of advice I have for you>>stop taking laxatives! I don't want to see you get dependent on them, trust me I know all about that. Be smart, Read up on being a Vegan, Eat Healthier. Don't overdo on exercising. Good Luck to you :smile:
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You need to be aware a vegan diet will not help you with losing weight or being healthy. It's a diet that is only based on ethics (not nutrition!).

If you're having issues, then you should strongly consider switching to a vegetarian diet until you get your weight and eating under control. You can always go back to being vegan later when you're not trying to lose weight.

This is false and unhelpful advice. Veganism is also based very much on healthy eating...look at any of Dr. Greger's videos at Nutrition.org or the movie FoodMatters. I am a very healthy vegan. You just need to do research. In fact it is meat and dairy that causes most health problems in our western world.
    She seems to have an eating disorder and wants to lose weight when she doesn't need to...that is the issue here, She is not eating enough.
    You need a healthy shake with lots of fruits, kale, flax for omega 3 and a good quality protein powder..also lots of fruit, veg, lentils, beans, nuts and tofu. Also take B12 and possibly Vitamin D if you live in a cool climate.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try hemp protein it's vegan.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ..... Also, soy protein is horrible, especially for women. ....

Incorrect...You're merely perpetuating a myth, parroting hearsay, etc. :yawn:

Here is one experts's (yes, an actual expert) opinion:

Andrew Weil M.D. Says:

<<<<<I’m aware of Internet paranoia on the subject of soy and the contention that only fermented soy is safe to consume. That is simply not true. Some of the best forms of soy – edamame, tofu and soy nuts – are unfermented and are much more likely to help you than hurt you. >>>>>

<<<All told, based on the evidence to date, I see no reason to worry about eating soy foods, whether fermented or not. >>>

<<<Given the uncertainty of the study results, I continue to advise avoiding concentrated soy supplements entirely. However, I still recommend one to two servings a day of whole soy foods.

<<<A serving is a cup of soymilk or one half-cup of tofu, tempeh, edamame or soy nuts. At those amounts you'll get the benefits of soy without the theoretical risks of taking in too many isoflavones>>.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

<<<I still recommend consuming one to two servings of soy per day, an amount equivalent to one cup of soy milk, or one half cup of tofu, soy protein (tempeh) or soy nuts.>>>>>

Andrew Weil, M.D.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Options
    [/quote]
    <<<<<Is this a troll post? I mean, honestly? You are living off soy milk, bread and nut butter and you don't understand why you are feeling weak?>>>>>
    [/quote]

What ugly thing to say...Are you feeling superior now? Someone clearly uneducated rregarding food AND asking for advice doesn't deserve your scorn, or your rude coments.
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Options
    Did anyone actually read this? So much wrong here.
    The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs.

1200 calories per day is far too little for almost every single person, let alone someone who is exercising 10% of their waking hours... AND is already at a healthy weight for her height.

Yup. Someone needs a steak.

Someone needs a "Grow Up" pill.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more whole grains and legumes and stay away from laxatives in causes havoc on the intestines and depletes your body of absorbing the nutrients!

Not to mention you will end up skinny with saggy skin and rotten teeth among other health problems
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I just became a vegan about 2 months ago for ethical reasons. I have also been trying to lose weight by controlling my diet and exercising. The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs. Eventually I cut back a bit on the exercise and started attending body pump, body attack, body step classes 1 hr each day. I feel that I definitely gained more definition in my body and my clothes fit better (from a size 7 down to 5 or 4) but my weight wouldn't budge. It hasn't been until the last few days that I finally saw the scale move (total of maybe 6-7 weeks) and I'm now down to 128. But I feel so weak. I know it's probably because I'm not eating enough protein being vegan. At first I felt myself getting stronger at body pump classes, but instead of feeling stronger each time I go now it feels so hard! And I'm lifting the same weight I've been lifting for 2 weeks. I've also been eating more, I think averaging around 1500 calories a day now but I still feel so weak and tired. I don't really count calories but I just estimate based on what I eat. Does anyone have suggestions what I could eat that may help me feel stronger?

Breakfast: 1 slice of multigrain bread from Whole Foods (approximately 120 calories) with either vegan butter or almond butter, half a banana, and a glass of soy milk
    Lunch: Salad (lettuce, spinach, olives, cucumber, chick peas, peas, 2-3 slices of beets, croutons) without any dressing (sometimes 1-2 tablespoons of salsa sauce as dressing)
    Then I go to gym for 1 hr (either body pump, body step, body attack, or run on treadmill)
    Dinner: 1 glass of soymilk, 1-2 slices of bread toasted with almond butter or vegan butter, sometimes I'll add half a piece of vegan breakfast sausage (Tofurky brand) about 35 calories, some kind of fruit such as 4-5 strawberries or a pear or something else.
    Sometimes I'll also take a laxative to help move bowels along but I don't do this often, maybe only once a week.

Is this a troll post? I mean, honestly? You are living off soy milk, bread and nut butter and you don't understand why you are feeling weak?

You need to do some serious studying about diet before you land yourself in the hospital. There is more to a vegan diet than bread and soy milk. Not only are you restricting calories WAY too low, but your diet lacks any true nutrition.
    Not saying this looks like an eating disorder, but 1/2 of the people with ED's have called themselves a vegan at one time or another........taking laxatives once a week for something to do, is not something most would think of when you know your not eating enough.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Listen to yourself, OP.

Me: so, I'm interested in becoming vegan, but I'm worried its not healthy. Can you tell me about what you eat on a normal day?

You: here you go [hands over list of things in first post]

Me: ok. So you eat two pieces of toast, two glasses of milk, and have a handful of chickpeas and a few vegetables in a day. Oh, plus five strawberries. Are you certain this is healthy?

You: well, I'm tired, weak and dizzy and feel pretty crap. But I'm helping animals. And I drink lots of tea, especially with my laxatives. But I don't take them often, it's under control.

Me: riiiight. Thanks for the information.

By the way, you're not going to the bathroom much because there isn't much in your system to pass.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You just need to do research. In fact it is meat and dairy that causes most health problems in our western world.
    This is not a fact. It is vegan propaganda and opinion, and it's not based in science nor has any science supporting it.
    Here is one experts's (yes, an actual expert) opinion:

Andrew Weil M.D. Says:
    You may consider Andrew Weil an 'expert' but most of the medical and scientific world thinks he's a quack:

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/weil.html
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/05/23/dr-andrew-weil-versus-evidence-based-med/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/andrew-weil-integrative-medicine/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/when-should-we-call-a-quack-a-quack/

Arnold Relman, former editor of The New England Journal of Medicine, has shed light on Weil’s background and his thought processes:
    Weil earned an MD, but instead of choosing a specialty and following the usual path into residency training he dropped out, experimented enthusiastically with a variety of psychedelic drugs, and lived on an Indian reservation to learn from a shaman. Then he re-invented himself as America’s guru of integrative medicine, established a commercial and educational empire, wrote books, and appeared on the cover of Time.

According to Relman, Weil accepts science, but only to a degree. He has openly promoted “stoned thinking,” alleging that thoughts experienced while under the influence of psychedelic drugs or in altered states of consciousness are as valid as, or more valid than, scientific evidence.
    ... That's the "expert" you're quoting? Someone who values thoughts experienced on psychedelic drugs over science-based medicine???
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you find a good psychologist, and then a real nutritionist....
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. 115 is way too thin for your height. I am 5'2 and my GW is 125. Vegan should be a 4 letter word. Your body needs protein.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Try eating real food.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would suggest if you are struggling with ethics of things, you spend a holiday in a farming community where soy, quinoa, and other high on the food chain vegan foods are produced. I have lived in deep deep farming country and worked for them for my whole life, and for ethical reasons I could never be a vegan. Unsustainable, the insane inputs to grow them, what it is doing for the environment (ever tried to raise a bee or a garden when you are surrounded by farmland that is sprayed 1-2x a week for bugs because dem bugs just LOVE the soybeans?), and what it does for my health on several counts. I hope for wisdom for you and health for me who lives in the middle of this farmland and inhales all this wonderful vegan spray. . .
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. 115 is way too thin for your height. I am 5'2 and my GW is 125. Vegan should be a 4 letter word. Your body needs protein.

115 is a perfectly healthy weight for her, it's a 19.7 BMI (if you put value in that). I'm 5'5", and somewhere between 115 and 120 is where I look and feel best. And there's nothing wrong with being a vegan as long as the person has done their research, knows where to get their protein and micronutrients from, and eats sufficient calories... Which right now she isn't, but I think many people here has given good advice on how she can increase her intake and live her lifestyle healthfully.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Why on earth does your salad have no dressing? Are you eating any fat at all? Many of the most important vitamins are fat-soluable - your body will almost ignore them if they're consumed as part of a fat-free meal.

Tracking what you're eating would give you a better idea of your macros - how much protein you're actually getting, and how much fat.

In the meantime? Add some avocado to that salad. And some olive oil. And maybe some nuts. Have some hummus made with lots of tahini and olive oil on that bread. Have a bowl of lentil soup with a drizzle of herbed olive oil on top. Spread garlic oil on that bread and grill it. Have some grilled tofu dipped in sesame-peanut-ginger sauce.

There are so many delicious vegan things to eat that are much higher in protein and good fat than what you're eating. If you're going to go vegan, please at least do some reading and look at some menus. The internet is great, but I'd recommend actually getting a book that lays a lot of stuff out for you regarding nutritional macros, good soruces of various nutrients, etc.
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Heyy,
    Im a low fat high carb raw vegan. I think there might be another way to approach this. First, i think you should add some fruit and lower the fat. A lot of the reason the vegan diet an be so good is that it is gentle on the digestive system. You shouldn't be having to take a laxative at all if you are food combining properly and eating enough leafy greens and fiber. Also, in terms of the energy, You could add more raw fruits in to your diet. The sugar and carbohydrates would give some energy... then eat tons of vegetables, and a small amount of nuts to help you maintain that energy throughout the day. With a vegan diet, if you keep the fats low you don't really have to calorie restrict.
    Contrary to popular belief you really don't need as much protein as you think you do. Only about 10-15% of the daily diet needs to come from protein. What are those sources...well quinoa, millet, buckwheat, dark leafy greens, some fruits even...like oranges. These are clean sources of protein that will help you feel great. Also, soy can be great for some people, but excess soy is a problem for people who have or are predisposed to thyroid problems. It can suppress thyroid hormone and make you feel lethargic and cranky! Try cutting out soy for a few weeks, and see if that helps as well. Replace it with almond, coconut, or cashew milk. Gluten can also be a problem, try cutting it out for a few weeks. If you notice no difference add the gluten back in, if you notice a difference, keep it out of your diet.
    Also, make sure you food combine properly for optimal digestion. A full bloaty tummy , inflammation, or uneven levels of intestinal flora, can cause fatigue as well. There are many websites on food combining, you should look them up.
    In my diet i eat low fat...meaning 10% of my calories come from fat, high carb...meaning unlimited fruits and veggies, and raw or as much raw veggies as possibly. I have tons of energy and I do Insanity as well as maintaining an active day. You should give it a try. It'll clean out your digestive system, and def give you that energy your looking for. a typical day might look like this...

Breakfast: water w/ lemon, little bit of coffee then a fresh pressed green juice or mono fruit smoothei
    Snack: another smoothie- banans and dates, or a combination of berries and greens
    Lunch: 2-3 oranges, apples, or some other fruit
    Snack: shakeology, or other smoothie, usually with a source of protein (non whey source)
    Dinner: HUGE Salad unrestricted size, amounts of veggies....small amount of fat either nuts or hummus etc.

Keep in mind too that you could still be detoxing, and you might be still feeling the effects. Everyone is different, so the traditional detox phase can last even up to 6 months! It depends how bad your diet was before, how your bodily pH is, how inflamed you are, if your kidneys are holding on to a lot of toxins...it all really depends.
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    Check out the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine at www.pcrm.org. They gather together all the research and information regarding a plant-based diet and why it is the most healthy option. You can subscribe to breaking research bulletins, weekly recipes, regular newsletters, etc.

If you are eating plenty of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and legumes (as, ideally, you would on a vegan diet) you certainly would have no need for laxatives.

The PCRM recommends B12 fortified cereals or supplements. If you are eating a healthy, well-balanced diet - including a rainbow of vegetables and fruits each day - you should have everything else covered.

The PCRM may be able to answer your questions about feeling weak and tired and how you can adjust your food balance and intake so that the number of portions are adequate. Try their "contact us".

Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Check out the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine at www.pcrm.org. They gather together all the research and information regarding a plant-based diet and why it is the most healthy option. You can subscribe to breaking research bulletins, weekly recipes, regular newsletters, etc.

If you are eating plenty of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and legumes (as, ideally, you would on a vegan diet) you certainly would have no need for laxatives.

The PCRM recommends B12 fortified cereals or supplements. If you are eating a healthy, well-balanced diet - including a rainbow of vegetables and fruits each day - you should have everything else covered.

The PCRM may be able to answer your questions about feeling weak and tired and how you can adjust your food balance and intake so that the number of portions are adequate. Try their "contact us".

Good luck!
    http://activistcash.com/organizations/23-physicians-committee-for-responsible-medicine/

“The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. PCRM is a fanatical animal rights group that seeks to remove eggs, milk, meat, and seafood from the American diet, and to eliminate the use of animals in scientific research. Despite its operational and financial ties to other animal activist groups and its close relationship with violent zealots, PCRM has successfully duped the media and much of the general public into believing that its pronouncements about the superiority of vegetarian-only diets represent the opinion of the medical community.

“Less than 5 percent of PCRM’s members are physicians,”