FitBit? Electronic Tracking Devices

Options
2»

Replies

• Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit. I don't use it to track my "exercise", I use it to track my daily activity (i.e., walking). I take it off when I'm at the gym, or going for a run, and log that separately into MFP. I have a desk job, so the FitBit is great to see how much daily walking I'm getting in. It can REALLY vary...from only a couple thousand steps on a day I drive to work, and don't do any other walks, vs. 10,000 steps when I take the train to work, and then go out to lunch, and then walk the dog in the evening.

The reason I like it is if I'm considering driving vs. walking to the store, or I'm considering watching TV vs. taking the dog for a walk, or anything along those lines, and I see that my steps is low for the day, I'll end up doing the walking in stead. Also, there have been some days where I think "Man, I'm tired today!" and then I'll realize I walked the full 10,000 steps, in addition to working out, and realize why!
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I want the Polar F7, I have been researching for months and I think that will track my exercise the best. I am looking for something that doesnt have a monthy subscription fee, removeable battery, and can track my heart rate for a more accurate calorie burn report. Anyone have a Polar or Garmin and can suggest a model that is tried and true?
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    FITBIT!!!
    Love this little bug! I have the FitBit Ultra clipped to my bra at all times. I've bought TONS of exercise gear and gadgetry, and nothing has motivated me to MOVE more than my FitBit. I love that it syncs automatically, too, so I don't ever have to log exercise on MFP. I also have the FitBit Aria scale, so I just step on Friday morning and have my weight and body fat percentage uploaded automatically.

I don't like the chest strap on an HRM, and the ones without just don't do the job right. Owning an exercise bike, an aerobic step, resistance bands, weights, a pile of workout videos, etc. doesn't mean you are or will be using them consistently. The FitBit has me moving consistently. That is the highest praise I can give anything in this house!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    1. Who out there uses this kind of device? I have a Fit Bit One I bought in Jan of this year

2. Do you like it?-Yes, I love it!

3. Do you wish you purchased a different tracker? If so, which one? No, I love my fit bit one! It motivates me to move more throughout the day and challenges me to get 10,000 steps or more in a day in. I like how it syncs with MFP also!
    Best $100 I have spent in a long time!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I also have a HRM watch I used to wear at the gym but I checked it to the readouts on the cardio machines and it was basically the same rate so I quit wearing it. I sometimes where it though when I am doing strength training. It isn't a fancy HRM watch but it did/does the job I need for it. I bought it at TJMaxx for $20 last summer.
  • louismetal
    Options
    I just got my Fitbit this week and I'm loving it! I'm a geek for looking at graphs and stats and love that feature of it as well as the motivation to get moving!
  • msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    CrazeBeck,

I have a Polar FT4 and love it! It works great and I haven't had any issues with it. I bought it earlier this year when I started Couch to 5K. I have exercised-induced asthma, so being able to see my heart rate has helped me control my breathing during my runs.
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have one, wear my everyday. I love it!!!!! :smile:
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I want the Polar F7, I have been researching for months and I think that will track my exercise the best. I am looking for something that doesnt have a monthy subscription fee, removeable battery, and can track my heart rate for a more accurate calorie burn report. Anyone have a Polar or Garmin and can suggest a model that is tried and true?

I have the Polar FT7 and I love it. The chest strap doesn't bother me and I like seeing my calories burned during and after my workout.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of opinions and options so I would always recommend looking at the benefits of each and based on your life style pick the right fir for you. For my part I can speak to the FitBit Ultra, Garmin FR60, and MotoActiv. For general step counting the FitBit does a great job with a rechargeable battery life 2nd to none, I think my wife has to charges hers every 4 weeks or so. Hers has also survived the laundry twice now with only a minor chip to the case. Down side other than steps I do not see allot of benefit to it but it helps motivate her so I am all for it. The next is the Garmin FR60. Great running watch when paired with a HRM and foot pod. Plus the bonus of a 1 year battery life. The down side is it does not display steps or calories you have to wait til it uploads to your computer and then look at the software. The last is the MotoActiv I have. You can ware it on the hip, as a watch or with a sport band. It tracks steps and calories through the day. As a running watch I love it during my runs I can see pace, calories, heart rate total distance and map if needed. Down side you have to charge it fairly often every other day for me. The fitbit is the only one right now that auto connects with MFP. I hope this helps and you are able to find 1 that fits your style and helps to motivate and track information for you.
  • MrsDRS54
    MrsDRS54 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Fitbit Flex to be released. Should be out sometime in May. Looks very promising.