Cheat meal = 2 pounds gain !!??

Options
2»

Replies

• locaoca
    locaoca Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too. But I only cheat when I reach certain weight goals and I go for a whole day. I usually gain 1-2 pounds for the day. What I have found that helps it come off faster is to double my water on the cheat day and overload on fiber the following 2 days. And I actually end up losing the 2 pounds from the cheat day and 1 extra one.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me between today and yesterday. I'm not gonna worry about it!
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    water weight from sodium!!!!! been there done that! scarey! lol
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hello there !!

I've been eating very clean for the past weeks. Two days ago, I've decided to have a cheat meal since I felt like I deserved it. Thus, I ate a poutine and a chocolate bar.. Problem is, I weighed myself the day after and realized I've gain 2 pounds....! I first thought I was just bloated from eating so much carbs so I didn't worry much and just kept on eating clean like I usually do. But then, I weighed myself again this morning and I was still 2 pounds over.

Whaaaaat the hell. Is that normal ?!

So whilst you were keeping your macros consistent, the glycogen in your body was depleted and when you ate the extra carbs it was replenished and is still replenished. This isn't a fat gain, just your muscles trying to hold on to glycogen (which bonds with water to make you gain a little weight). Don't let it get you down, it's temporary. What you should be focused on are "trends". Overall, are you dropping week to week, month to month and so on? That's what's going to determine whether you reach your goal, not a little bit of carbing up somewhere along the journey. Stay on point.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hello there !!

I've been eating very clean for the past weeks. Two days ago, I've decided to have a cheat meal since I felt like I deserved it. Thus, I ate a poutine and a chocolate bar.. Problem is, I weighed myself the day after and realized I've gain 2 pounds....! I first thought I was just bloated from eating so much carbs so I didn't worry much and just kept on eating clean like I usually do. But then, I weighed myself again this morning and I was still 2 pounds over.

Whaaaaat the hell. Is that normal ?!

Hell yeah! That's how you do it!

Poutine is crazy good. So is chocolate.

Head to the head, you'll get light.
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the friends above, if you didn't eat 7000 calories then its impossible that you have gained 2lbs. For example I am on the Lemonade Diet and I have been going down 2lbs everyday. Now I had 3 forks of salad and drank plenty of water last night and I woke up and it said I gained 2.5lbs... That was completely impossible. But yeah maybe its just water weight like what I have :)
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake, poutine (fries, gravy & cheese curds) = high sodium! unfortunately there is no healthy version of poutine, not if you want the real thing, what you can do, depending on the restaurant is ask them for unsalted fries, but the other two, well, they are what they are. I know places like McD's actually have to clear out a bin and make a new batch if someone asks for unsalted fries. Also a lot of cheat foods, pre-packaged foods and restaurant meals are notorious for being high in sodium, its like they don't understand if you flavour your foods with herbs and spices you don't need the extra salt to make it taste better. Here's a test, get Mrs. Dash or McCormick's salt free seasoning, cook with it for 2 or 3 weeks, don't add salt. I use either of those seasonings in my cooking or on my meals, I don't use much salt if any. Sodium is a huge culprit.
  • ccllnply
    ccllnply Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale. It's a lying *kitten*! Only weight your self once every two weeks. I was weighing myself 3 times a day like a mad man. it's not healthy

Probably the best post in the whole thread. Just like someone said you can't gain 2lbs in 24 hours, retaining 2lbs of water (almost a litre) in 24 hours is almost impossible.

It's could be a huge amount of factors. Inaccurate scales, the time you weighed yourself, when you ate your meals, the clothes you were wearing etc.

Moral of the story is don't weigh yourself so often, you can't be sure of progress until you've allowed yourself enough time to a substantial change. Just keep eating a calorie deficit and you will lose weight
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale. It's a lying *kitten*! Only weight your self once every two weeks. I was weighing myself 3 times a day like a mad man. it's not healthy

What's unhealthy about weighing more than once a day?

Now, I can understand being obsessed to the point where the numbers actually affect your self image being unhealthy. But stepping on a scale to see what it says you weigh...even if you do it 20x a day...isn't unhealthy at all. I regularly weigh myself multiple times a day, because it's interesting to see how the things I do throughout the day affect the number.

What I find unhealthy, is when people weigh themselves once every couple weeks, and freak out because they've gained weight on their magic time and day they weigh themselves. Maybe they had a salty meal the night before, or ate a good bit more protein and aren't quite as 'regular' as they would otherwise be. I regularly fluctuate 5lbs or more during the week. And it's not timeable. Some Fridays (butt naked in the morning after the bathroom) I'll be 5lbs heavier than my previous low, some Fridays I'll be 2lbs lighter. This is with a consistent deficit also.

Tracking every day helps you keep track of those things...just don't let the numbers upset you. As long as every once in awhile there's a number lower than your previous low, you're moving right along.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Probably the best post in the whole thread. Just like someone said you can't gain 2lbs in 24 hours, retaining 2lbs of water (almost a litre) in 24 hours is almost impossible.

It's could be a huge amount of factors. Inaccurate scales, the time you weighed yourself, when you ate your meals, the clothes you were wearing etc.

Moral of the story is don't weigh yourself so often, you can't be sure of progress until you've allowed yourself enough time to a substantial change. Just keep eating a calorie deficit and you will lose weight

Really? 2 pounds of water is almost impossible? Not hardly. 2 pounds = 896 grams. A whopping 224 grams of carbohydrates beyond what you normally eat can EASILY cause a gain of 2 pounds in 1 day. I've gained substantially more than that--I've also lost substantially more than that..in a single day.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with weighing yourself.

But, a lot of people are really busting their *kitten* trying to lose weight and nothing messes with your mind more than when you know you've put in the work but the scale doesn't show it.

It's can be a huge blow to your motivation and all types of thoughts start running through your head "am i doing this right?, what am i screwing up blah, blah, blah"

When in reality nothing is wrong. Like you said you can be one weight after a workout and something else right when you wake up. I just find it easier to weight myself once every 2 weeks and keep my mind focused on busting my *kitten* and not what a scales says.

But that's what works for me.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with weighing yourself.

But, a lot of people are really busting their *kitten* trying to lose weight and nothing messes with your mind more than when you know you've put in the work but the scale doesn't show it.

It's can be a huge blow to your motivation and all types of thoughts start running through your head "am i doing this right?, what am i screwing up blah, blah, blah"

When in reality nothing is wrong. Like you said you can be one weight after a workout and something else right when you wake up. I just find it easier to weight myself once every 2 weeks and keep my mind focused on busting my *kitten* and not what a scales says.

But that's what works for me.

I understand your reasoning (and I'm glad it works for you!)...for me it's the opposite. Weighing often is what made me realize the number on the scale is useless other than as a very, very general guide. It tells me NOTHING about my lean mass (bodyfat scales are useless people!), NOTHING about water retention, NOTHING about fat lost. All it registers is what I weigh, coupled with whatever foreign material I may be carrying with me (water, waste, food in my stomach etc).

The main reason I replied to your post at all was simply to put out another viewpoint on the madness caused by the terrible tyranny of the thing we call the scale :).
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hear you, and your right when you say "Weighing often is what made me realize the number on the scale is useless other than as a very, very general guide"

That why i like to focus on how much more I can lift, how further I can run without getting out of breath. To me it's just a better marker of progress.

But for some reason stuff like that comes second to the number on the scale.

BTW I have one of those body fat scales and it's totally useless.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love poutine.

This happened to me last week and I was very anxious about it. My weight was up 2 lbs. Friday and Saturday of last week. By Monday, I was below were I was the week prior. (I know that's probably confusing). I total get the stress and panic. But, I can attest that your weight will come back down.