Weight lifting for women

Options
2»

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Read NROLFW, mostly for the nutrition section. Read Starting Strength to learn good form and how and why the lifts work, then do Strong Lifts 5x5 because it is the easiest to follow and will give great results. It also offers a phone app for tracking sessions, amount of weights to be used and progress. Eat well.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Squat rack
    Barbell
    Bench that can go inside the rack
    Weight plates set (2.5lbs, 5lbs, 10lbs, 25lbs, 35lbs, 45lbs)
    powerful music system

Should be able to find a lot of that stuff used on craigs list.

You can also start to do a lot of things with just your body weight and those dumbbells you have now. Till you get your barbell! Good luck.
    Add an iron gym to that list. Pull ups are beast. Dips can be done with two chairs facing away from each other. Just place your hands on the back of them.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you want actual weight-training then there's really no difference in training men versus women, well maybe subtle differences. New Rules, Starting Strength, and SL5x5 are all great for beginners because it's easy to understand.

If you want more conditoning then P90x, Boot Camp, Chalean Extreme are more along those lines. You may get a little stronger doing these but they're not true strength training, they are more conditioning. I actually took some time to do a month of Boot Camp recently and I can standby and support that comment. I was never ever sore but I felt it in my conditioning or lack there of. The lack of soreness meant that my muscles were strong enough to adapt to the training and the stimulus wasn't enough to foster strength growth.
  • Mita19
    Mita19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MsDana126
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing as I too want to get into lifting but not to be a masculine looking female. I took the advice of others and reserved the book from my local library that was mentioned on here. Thanks everyone!
  • k8wizzo
    k8wizzo Posts: 33
    Options
    I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women program yesterday. I liked the first workout and I'm definitely feeling it today. You do need a barbell and stuff for it, though.

This. Check craigslist for equipment--I got my stuff for super cheap that way. :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing as I too want to get into lifting but not to be a masculine looking female. I took the advice of others and reserved the book from my local library that was mentioned on here. Thanks everyone!

Not looking masculine from weight lifting is an EASY goal, simply don't take anabolic steroids. It's not a smart-*kitten* comment either, that is the truth when it comes to women. Don't grossly overeat and definitely don't take steroids. That's it. :)
  • babams
    babams Posts: 15
    Options
    I started with the Jamie Eason Fit for Life program. It was easy to follow and it helped me kick start my weight lifting. She also posts some really good recipes. However, after completing the program I noticed the lack of carbs in her diet, which are needed to build muscle strength. That being said, I still recommend her program for newbies.
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Today's the big day. Huge garage sale time. Hoping to find some cheap weights lol.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    +1 for Stronglifts! New Rules of Lifting is also a great book but if you're just starting out I would recommend Stronglifts as it only has 5 exercises. For me personally, when I started lifting I did try NROLFW, but since I had no idea what I was doing it was a little complex for me. I did not feel comfortable bringing the book to the gym with me to make sure I was doing everything right. I would start out with Stronglifts first so you can practice form, and then go on to NROLFW to add some more lifts to your repertoire.