Marathons & Lifting

Options
I'm not much of a runner so to speak, but I got into it a little bit last year and ran a couple of 5K's. Towards the end of the year, I decided I wanted to put my focus on lifting. Not to "tone", but to build! Dana Linn Bailey and Ashley Horner (2 different bodies, but both awesome) are my idols if that gives you an idea of where I'm going. Anyway, fast forward to today and I have had a friend ask me if I would like to run a half marathon with her in October. Why yes, yes I would! How freaking awesome would it be for me, a non-runner to complete 13.1 freaking miles?! BUT my question is....... will training hinder what I'm trying to do in the gym?

Thanks!!

Replies

• aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this also. I started lifting about a month ago, but I want to stick with running and ideally, I would like to complete a marathon. But, if I weight train on MWF, have swim practice (adult swim league, yay!) on MTW, and work my second job Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights, the only day that really leaves me to run is on Sundays...When I'm done with swimming, should I do some runs after my lifting sessions on MWFs?
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a number of friends (and a husband) who are marathoners. They tone but don't do anything to add bulk--the more weight you need to move (even if it's muscle) the harder it is to run longer distances.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I would say you could do both, but you'd have to eat A LOT to make up for the cardio plus making gains. I personally do a good amount of cardio but I still lift occasionally (mainly cause I like to lift heavy stuff, not to necessarily build muscle) and I've still seen muscle gains.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes it will... they are competing goals. How significantly? Hard to say. Since you're trying to build, I assume you're in a calorie surplus. Maintain that surplus and the detriment to your lifting caused by your running should be fairly small. That said, your goals are pretty lofty and anything less than optimal progress/results will make it that much harder to get there.

How well do you want to do in the half? Are you looking to only complete it and don't care if you walk some of it? If so, training can be fairly light to keep your focus on lifting. If you have higher aspirations, then you'll have to train more which will cut into your lifting (both the time you could be lifting and the results you see from it).
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    This article might be helpful.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marathon-weight-training-stay-strong-during-marathon-training.html

I enjoy running and do a long run (1-1 3/4 hours) once a week, then do 2 shorter and quicker runs twice a week (+/- 30 minutes). 2 days a week I focus on lifting.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes it will... they are competing goals. How significantly? Hard to say. Since you're trying to build, I assume you're in a calorie surplus. Maintain that surplus and the detriment to your lifting caused by your running should be fairly small. That said, your goals are pretty lofty and anything less than optimal progress/results will make it that much harder to get there.

How well do you want to do in the half? Are you looking to only complete it and don't care if you walk some of it? If so, training can be fairly light to keep your focus on lifting. If you have higher aspirations, then you'll have to train more which will cut into your lifting (both the time you could be lifting and the results you see from it).

My ultimate goal would be to finish -preferably without walking, but I would not be devastated if I walked a bit. I'm not a fast runner, so when I say "run" it's not like other people's "run".

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marathon-weight-training-stay-strong-during-marathon-training.html

I enjoy running and do a long run (1-1 3/4 hours) once a week, then do 2 shorter and quicker runs twice a week (+/- 30 minutes). 2 days a week I focus on lifting.

I really enjoyed that article! Thank you!
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Great article! Thank you!