New starter - are the exercise calcs right?

Options
Hi

I started using this a week or so ago, previous to this was just trying to eat healthily, exercising loads, and losing nothing.

Realised I was eating a lot more calories than I thought. Was stuck in Slimming World mentality of eat loads of fruit, which is fine, but was going over 1700 cals a day that way.

Just tried WW online and, god, the online interface is so bad, made me want to tear my eyes out. So Ive decided to give this site a try as I do really like the way that it works

I do exercise quite a lot and am unsure as to the accuracy of the calculations on the app tho. I think a 45 min spinning class worked out to be 561 calories, which seems like a LOT to me.

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It is extremely hard to get calories burned just based off your weight and other numbers multiplied by the time doing something. It is not very accurate and I would not use it unless it is your only option. Best bet is a solid heart rate monitor for cardio at least.

So far walking is the only thing the site gets close to my HRM numbers.
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    The calorie burned estimates are entered by other MFP members and may not be accurate for you. You should use a calorie burned calculator and enter your information so it is more accurate.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Love this site but the calories burned calculations are waaaaay too high. I brought a HRM and was disappointed :sad: :cry: to see how much I was actually burning but at least I know the truth now. I'm 5ft 5ins and weight 150lbs and a 45 min spin burns about 350 cals for me. Not sure if that's any use?

If you can manage it I really recommend investing in a HRM. I brought quite a basic one but it does the job :-) :smile: :glasses:
  • ac4107
    ac4107 Posts: 3
    Options
    A spinning or exercise bike is not the best way to burn calories doing a full body cardio work out is the best. One good video is Leslie Sansone 3 mile walk it is a full body and strength training walk for a beginner you will burn at least 799 calories per work out and she has a 5 mile walk as well. If you are already working out you need somthing that moves ypour whole body faster there alot of good workouts on fit tv the all star workouts are the best I do cardio kickboxing and burn 999 calories in 55 min.