Quinoa

Options
Give me some great Quinoa recipes!!! I have a huge bag from costco but I'm at a loss with what to do with it all...!!!

Replies

• WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Simmer the stuff in chicken broth, add asiago cheese (a little) and black pepper (a lot). It's kinda-sorta ghetto risotto.
  • HippieMomma86
    HippieMomma86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cook it and mix it with cubed avocado and spices. I cook 1c quinoa in 2c water. Simmer, covered for about 15-20 mins but keep an eye on it. Once it is cooked, I measure out 1 cup and add 1/2 an avocado that I've cubed. Then I mix it and add random spices. Usually garlic and onion powder, chili powder, black and red pepper, and a pinch of salt. Mix it all together and enjoy. It can be as spicy or unspicy as you like it. The heat from the quinoa makes the avocado slightly mushy and it's amazing together.
  • 2banulo
    2banulo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-and-Tomato-Quinoa-238939

Made this the other day and my whole family loves it. I cooked the Quinoa as I normally do - did not steam - and it worked great. Needs to sit overnight for flavors to blend. Can add hot sauce to individual servings for a kick.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've tried Quinoa stuffed peppers and Quinoa mac and cheese casserole so far. Both were good

Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
    - 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
    - 4 large red or yellow bell peppers
    - 1 tablespoon olive oil
    - 1 onion, chopped
    - 3 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
    - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
    - 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    - 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    - 14 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
    - 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
    - 1/4 teaspoon salt
    - 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
    - 2 cups marinara sauce, for serving

Preparation
    ∙Preheat oven to 350°F.
    ∙In a small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Stir the quinoa into the boiling water, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
    ∙Meanwhile, use a sharp paring knife to cut out the core from the peppers. Pull out any seeds and rinse the peppers inside and out. Place them cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high power until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    ∙In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and crushed red pepper, if using. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 8 minutes.
    ∙Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, oregano, and salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and remove the pan from the heat.
    ∙Place the peppers cut side up in a medium roasting pan. Spoon the filling into the peppers and fill the pan with water 1/2 inch deep. Bake until the peppers are tender and the top of the filling is lightly browned and crunchy, about 30 minutes.
    ∙Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the marinara over low heat. When the peppers are cooked, place one on each of four plates. Spoon the sauce alongside or on top and serve.
    Makes 4 servings.

Prep Time: 5 mins
    Cook Time: 1 hr
    Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins

Nutrition Facts
    Number of Servings: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 297.9
    Total Fat: 7.9 g
    Sodium: 563.9 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 49.1 g
    Protein: 9.7 g
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bump! My husband won't eat it... He says it's gross and hates that it gets stuck in his teeth. I'm interested to see all the different recipes
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Cook, once cooled add tomatoes, cucumber and feta, and an olive oil/vinegar dressing.

Cook, add apples and cinnamon.

What CAN'T you do with quinoa?
  • aamckay9
    aamckay9 Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't have any recipes but am interested in learning how to use it as well!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like to add cooked quinoa, once cooled, to salads for protein and texture!
    I took inspiration from the Leon Superfood Salad.
    "The Original Leon Superfood Salad (Serves two)

2 tbsp quinoa
    Salt and pepper
    2–3 broccoli spears, cut into bite-sized florets, stalks sliced
    120g frozen peas
    Quarter cucumber, peeled,cut into slim batons
    100g good-quality feta cheese, crumbled
    1 handful of alfalfa sprouts
    2 tbsp toasted seeds such as pumpkin, sesame and sunflower
    ½ avocado, cut into pieces
    1 small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    1 small handful of mint, chopped
    2 dsp lemon juice
    4 dsp extra-virgin olive oil"
    http://www.libertylondongirl.com/2009/10/19/the-original-leon-superfood-salad-from-the-leon-cookbook/

good inspiration here as well
    http://www.yummly.com/recipes/quinoa-side-dish
  • MrsCCLL
    MrsCCLL Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just made quinoa for the first time last night! I simmerd a cup in 2 cups of water and then I whipped up a little dressing for it. The dressing had about 1/4 c. orange juice, 1 tsp. honey, the juice of a lemon, 6 diced dried apricots, 1/4 c. diced red onion, and 4 T. toasted pine nuts. I mixed it all together and refrigerated it. This morning I portioned out about 1/2 c. to have with lunch and it's about 150 calories, 26 carbs, 3 grams of fat, 3 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of sugar.
  • grneyes621
    Options
    whatever you do, make sure to rinse it first before you cook it! otherwise it will taste bitter. it makes all the difference.

If you like mexican..I've made a chipotle inspired quinoa dish, got the recipe from here: theshiksa.com/2012/05/.../quinoa-black-bean-burrito-bowls. turned out amazing! quinoa can taste really bland unless you add in spices, the lime juice and cilantro in this dish makes it so flavorful!
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in either chicken or beef broth for more flavor. I love adding either roasted or sauteed veggies to mine with a touch of olive oil and feta.
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump! love quinoa!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Give me some great Quinoa recipes!!! I have a huge bag from costco but I'm at a loss with what to do with it all...!!!

I like to treat it like cous cous.

boil it until just about finished, drain out the water, put the quinoa back into the pot, add some olive oil, salt, black pepper, a little cumin, and some dried fruit along with some chopped pecans.

cover it with a paper towel doubled up and sitting on the quinoa, turn the heat to barely low for a couple minutes and then off. That will let it steam the rest of the way to finish cooking.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I cook in veggie broth with carrots, then add peas and a scrambled egg at the end (like fried rice). I also make sushi with it.
  • kylieannfran
    kylieannfran Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    QUINOA PIZZA BITES!

Ingredients:
    1/2 c. uncooked quinoa
    1 large egg
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. fat free shredded mozzarella
    1 t. minced garlic
    1 T. dried basil
    1 t. dried oregano
    pinch of salt
    pizza sauce for dipping

*** you can also had turkey peps cut up or peppers too

Directions:
    1. Cook your protein-filled quinoa! Boil the quinoa and 1c. water and cover. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes (until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender).
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of your ingredients (except the pizza sauce) in a mixing bowl until it is well mixed.
    3. Lightly spray the bottom of a mini-muffin tin with olive oil spray. Using a Tablespoon, scoop ~1T. into each muffin tin, it should fill almost all of them!
    4. Bake them for 15-20 and let cool. Serve them warm with pizza sauce to dip
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Two of my favourites (besides using it as a subsitute for rice or other side dishes):

Everyday Chickpea-Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette:

http://familyfriendlyveg.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/everyday-chickpea-quinoa-salad-with-balsamic-vinaigrette/

Quinoa with Red Pepper, Green Onions and Sundried Tomatoes:

http://familyfriendlyveg.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/quinoa-with-red-pepper-green-onions-and-sundried-tomatoes/
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Yummy! I adore quinoa! Being Bolivian, you can't help but love it since we're raised with it <3 haha Here's a delicious recipe I found the other day :) I made it with cooked quinoa instead of the flakes he suggests, and it was soooooo tasty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJKvSkz2pKc

Here is my written version of it for a quick glance:
    Ingredients:

1 cup tuna
    1 cup quinoa flakes
    1/2 cup spring onions/scallions
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp garlic powder
    salt & pepper to season
    1 egg

-Basically just mix everything together, shape as patties, and pan fry :)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Tuna patty thing! lol I didn't exactly follow a recipe but I mixed up quinoa, tuna, shredded carrots, shredded sweet potatoe (mainly because it was in the fridge and needed to be used), onion, egg...don't remember what else. You can look up recipes for Quinoa Tuna Cakes if it sounds interesting to you. I liked adding them to salads (I hate salads so this was impressive lol)
  • plantsandbricks
    Options
    If you haven't tried it, I would especially suggest you try red quinoa--it tastes slightly less bitter than other varieties and has a nuttier flavor. I love adding it to salads or just flat out making it the focus of a salad--like adding chopped bell peppers, whatever veggies you've got lying around, and some lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. I'm not much of a recipe user (more of a holistic cook), but I think it pairs really well with citrus and something with some sweetness (like beets, yum) or creaminess to balance out the bitter flavor. I also like using it in place of rice in dishes for a protein boost--like vegetable curry over quinoa, or, my fav, quinoa sushi using quinoa in place of rice (though it doesn't stick as well as rice).