Hypothyroid

Options
Just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism... I workout 6 days a week really hard and eat extremely well.. my only downfall would be too much natural sugar from fruit. I will be taking Synthroid soon and I'm so afraid that I won't be able to drop the 20 pounds I gained prior to my diagnosis.. can anyone tell me if you can lose weight with work and dedication on Synthroid? And if so, how long until you see that the meds are working?

Replies

• patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is a very complicated disorder and can be very hard to regulate. I am also on Synthroid.and am starting to have some success with weight loss. Was on Armour for the past several years and it just stopped working for me. It may take a while to get your dose right but once you do you should be able to lose weight like anyone else. Don't be discouraged if your 6 days of working isn't helping much now. I was doing that for a while when my hormones were out of whack and it actually caused me to gain some weight from the cortisol that was building up. People with unregulated thyroid issues are very sensitive to stress caused by working out too much and can actually gain instead of lose.

Just make sure the Doctor you have is willing to listen to you and not just go off the test results because they can be very misleading at times. There were times when my results would look normal but I would feel exhausted all the time. I went through a couple of doctors until I found one that would listen to me and took me off Armour and put me back on Synthroid*

*Been hypo all my life and was on Synthroid until one of my doctors switched me after I had children.
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have hypothyroidism and take medicine, a very low dose, and I have been successfully able to lose 90 pounds. The medicine should help regulate your levels and then your body will start to work like it's supposed to. It's harder for some than for others- no matter how hard I work out or how healthy I eat, I still only lose like a half a pound a week. But I'm getting there!

I'm also sharing my transformation story on a new blog I started at afireworkinprogress.com if you want to check it out. Haven't spoken much about the thyroid thing yet but I will be posting about it. I just want to help people to see it's possible to change your life.

Feel free to use me for motivation or support- I know how hard it can be. I'm here for you, and trust me, YOU CAN DO THIS!! :)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Pure raw Coconut Oil. 3 spoons a day, works wonders.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, AND pcos, and still managed to lose 115lbs in 4 years :wink: . Being on the medicine will really help you, but don't get too discouraged if you don't see results right away, it can be very hard to regulate sometimes. Give it time, keep working, and you'll get there, no worries!
  • MadMacMom0309
    MadMacMom0309 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 8 years ago after the birth of my first child. I wish I could say that it has been easy for me. Once I went on Levoxyl I started to lose but it was hard. I lost about 25 lbs and needed to lose about 30 more when I got pregnant again. I was on bed rest with that one and gained about 50 lbs. My second child was born in 2009 and I am still struggling to lose. At the first of this year I kept gaining and gaining despite eating right and exercising. I went back to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and they increased my dosage and change it to Synthroid. I have already lost about 4 lbs. and fingers crossed that it will start to come off now. I do better on a lower carb diet.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes its possible. I have had hypothyroidism for 4 years I am on the lowest dose of levothyroxene (generic form of synthroid) and have had no trouble losing. The only downfall is the weight comes off slowly and will come back on very easily if your not careful. I have never had problems with my thyroid being able to be regulated. I was monitored every 3 months for a year after my initial diagnosis and the strength of medicine I was put on has never changed and from what I read from other people I was lucky. Just work hard keep your diet in check and remember to take your pills ( that was hard for me) and you should see improvement. I just had my second child in Dec. and I was able to lose while pregnant (doctor told me I could) with no problems and my thyroid levels stayed the same.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid for about 6 months now since having my thyroid removed. They think I am finally on the right dose at 125mg. I have lost about 10 lbs but its not falling off like I thought it would after going on medication. It will always be harder for me to lose weight buts its slowly coming off. My energy levels and mood is much better as well. There are several thyroid groups on MFP that have lots of info as well. Good luck
  • ilenelynne
    ilenelynne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the postings. I am on a somewhat low dosage - .75 and it has been steady for a few years. I excercise almost every day either at the gym or on the tennis court. I have always eaten healthy but the weight poured on me after menopause. I am now losing weight - very slowly - 1/2 pound a week but that is with me eating most or all of my exercise calories. I have lost 18 pounds so far so it works. I am getting around better on the tennis court and I have dropped one size. Just stick with it and don't weigh yourself each week. Maybe every other week. Good luck.
  • ilenelynne
    ilenelynne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Kim can you give me more information about the coconut oil. What does it actually do. How do you take it? Do you use it instead of olive oil in cooking and putting on salads. Does it really help with the weight loss?
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid in my mid 20s and it really scared me. Here are some things to keep in mind:

1. NEVER take generic Synthroid. Always insist on the brand name drug. I started on the generic based on one doctor's prescription (my general care physician) and things went from bad to worse. I gained weight, my hair started falling out, and I became super forgetful. I got myself an endocrinologist and she did nothing but switch me from generic to brand name and everything went back to normal. In most drugs, generic is fine, but with Synthroid, the generic version has an issue with the time release. It dumps all the drugs into your system at once and then for the rest of the day you're back to being hypothyroid (at least that's how I understood it from my endo).

2. Listen to your body. Unfortunately, you won't always be using the same prescription. Your body will change, things like birth control (going on it or off it) pregnancy, getting older, etc. mess with your hormones and your prescription will need to be adjusted accordingly. There was a period in time that I KNEW my prescription needed to be upped. I felt terrible, and was getting forgetful again. I gained 5 pounds that I couldn't lose. But, my general care physician said that my bloodwork was fine. I had an HMO at the time and ended up paying cash to go to my endocrinologist because the GC wouldn't give me a referral. She raised my prescription and presto - I felt great.

3. In case you haven't gotten a theme with the first two - get an endocrinologist! They are up to date on the latest thyroid measurements (they changed a few years ago and a lot of doctors are still using the old standards). They understand that "normal" for most people might not be "normal" for you. Everyone has a different thyroid level in which their body works most efficiently. A good endocrinologist will help you find yours.

4. You CAN lose weight. Just like with everyone else, it's hard to lose weight, but with exercise and eating well it is absolutely possible. Don't let the diagnosis scare you or be a crutch. You'll get your medication and levels worked out and you'll be just fine.

I hope that helps!
  • patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Would like to second your first point about generic Synthroid. It doesn't work well at all. You have to request brand name or sometimes your pharmacy will automatically give you the generic. It's also more expensive but totally worth it!!
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been taking the generic of synthroid for years now- maybe 15-20? And I've never had adverse effects to it. Anyway...

My dosage is constantly changing! So it may take a while (I was told up to 3 months) for your body to adjust to having the meds and seeing results, but they will come.

As long as you take the meds, you will see weight loss results just the same as anyone without hypothyroidism.

Things I learned recently, however, about taking synthroid:
    - do not eat or drink anything within at least 1/2 hour of taking the pill (aside from water!) - synthroid likes to attach itself to anything you ingest and it won't all make it to your thyroid, thus negating the benefits!
    - take it at around the same time every day.
    - keep your Vitamin D levels in check- people with hypothyroidism need more D as your thyroid sucks it all up. Your doctor should be able to clarify that one.
    - give it time! You will have to get it adjusted until you get the right dosage. I started low, then gradually increased (and have been zigzagging ever since, but I'm keeping it in check!).
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    See my ticker? I've been on thyroid meds for over 10 years due to Hypothroid. I gained weight when struggling with infertility for several years. Then I went on to have 2 children. After that, my weight slowly crept up and up. So, yes, you can lose weight. It might take a bit longer but if you are on the meds, it should help. Be sure to take your med every morning with water an hour before you eat. You also need to take it alone...never with any other medications. I take the generic brand which is Levothyroxine and have for years. I get my thyroid checked every 6 months with my OB/GYN. It fluctuates almost every time I go and it has to be changed up a bit. I am currently on 150mcg dosage. This is not a death sentence. It does not mean you are destined to be overweight for the rest of your life.
  • egwene1977
    Options
    I've lost 43 pounds since October, and I have hypothyroidism AND Rheumatoid Arthritis. You can totally do this!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary of the coconut oil. Just had bloodwork & both total cholesterol & LDL cholesterol were up quite a bit. Only thing I can contribute it to is the coconut oil I've started using a few months ago & increased eggs. Otherwise I am eating fairly healthy, more fruit & vegetables. You read that both coconut oil & eggs are OK & won't cause cholesterol problems, but now I don't know.
    On the flip side, my HDL cholesterol is doing great, probably due to increased activity.
  • rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was rail thin until I was 12 or 13 then gained a ton of weight. I went from a size 0 to a size 12 or so within a year. In 98 I was finally diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Since I was still growing I was all sout of whack and it took a long time to get my dosing right. Now that it is straightened out, It has become much easier to lose weight. Before I wouldn't eat anything because I had no appetite and would still gain weight. It was frustrating, but once everything evened out I was able to eat and maintain or lose weight.
    Just hang in there and you'll start to notice a difference! Good luck!
  • republicofsmurf
    republicofsmurf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had hypo (Hashimotos) for 12 years, following the birth of my first son. I went from a size six to a size sixteen.

I take brand name Synthroid 225 mcg (a very high dose) as well as Cytomel 12.5 mgs per day.
    The good news is that the medication will make you feel much better. It does take time for you to respond, and you will likely have to tweak the dose. Sadly, it won't automatically help you lose weight. My endo said I had to work it off the same way as if I ate it on.
    It is hard for me to lose weight, but it can be done.

I cannot agree enough with what others have said about treating the symptoms, not the labs. I am markedly symptomatic with a TSH above 2, and that is very common among sufferers of hypothyroidism.
  • Kaylsabails
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the support and information... it is so comforting that I am not alone in this battle :)... Doctor's appointment today to begin my medication hoping for the best. Again, you all have no idea how relieved I feel to hear all of your success stories!!!
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid in my mid 20s and it really scared me. Here are some things to keep in mind:

1. NEVER take generic Synthroid. Always insist on the brand name drug. I started on the generic based on one doctor's prescription (my general care physician) and things went from bad to worse. I gained weight, my hair started falling out, and I became super forgetful. I got myself an endocrinologist and she did nothing but switch me from generic to brand name and everything went back to normal. In most drugs, generic is fine, but with Synthroid, the generic version has an issue with the time release. It dumps all the drugs into your system at once and then for the rest of the day you're back to being hypothyroid (at least that's how I understood it from my endo).

2. Listen to your body. Unfortunately, you won't always be using the same prescription. Your body will change, things like birth control (going on it or off it) pregnancy, getting older, etc. mess with your hormones and your prescription will need to be adjusted accordingly. There was a period in time that I KNEW my prescription needed to be upped. I felt terrible, and was getting forgetful again. I gained 5 pounds that I couldn't lose. But, my general care physician said that my bloodwork was fine. I had an HMO at the time and ended up paying cash to go to my endocrinologist because the GC wouldn't give me a referral. She raised my prescription and presto - I felt great.

3. In case you haven't gotten a theme with the first two - get an endocrinologist! They are up to date on the latest thyroid measurements (they changed a few years ago and a lot of doctors are still using the old standards). They understand that "normal" for most people might not be "normal" for you. Everyone has a different thyroid level in which their body works most efficiently. A good endocrinologist will help you find yours.

4. You CAN lose weight. Just like with everyone else, it's hard to lose weight, but with exercise and eating well it is absolutely possible. Don't let the diagnosis scare you or be a crutch. You'll get your medication and levels worked out and you'll be just fine.

I hope that helps!

BEST POST I'VE READ YET ON HYPOTHYROID. I too am hypothyroid and it can be stressful. Do your research and listen to your body. You'll begin to recognize when there is the slightest change in the way you feel. Find a doc who isn't afraid of an educated patient. I usually take a journal/note pad in with me just to make sure I ask every question I need an answer for. Also, I fought hard against taking brand name. You know, I felt like it was a monopoly. However, I am amazed at the difference in the way I feel with brand name synthroid.
  • slamina
    slamina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another hypothyroid here, only diagnosed a couple of years ago when I was so tired I could barely move. Also found out I was aneamic and had very low blood pressure too so no wonder really!

I do find it more of a slog nowadays to keep my weight down but not sure if that's due to hypothyroid or just my age (I'm 46 now). Seem to want to eat more than I did a few years, again not sure if that's due to hypothyroid or just that I'm more greedy than when I was younger.

Anyone else noticed increased appetite?