toning!

Options
Joined this purely to keep track of what i eat and gain some support and motivation. My main goal is not weight loss but i want to tone and reshape my legs in particular. Had an extremely active lifestyle as a dancer from age 2- dancing professionally between 16-20. neglected my fitness for the past year and noticed myself getting a bit wobbly recently. Any tips how to get back on track? Been jogging and cycling for past two weeks my feel it targeting only some muscles in my legs- inner thighs are the area needing most work. HELP!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Barbell squats.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You cannot "tone" a muscle. A muscle can only get bigger or smaller. "Toning" comes from fat loss, so just follow a sensible diet and workout routine and you will loose fat thus looking more toned.
  • AileighD
    AileighD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for info! do you have any advice on excerices which target inner thighs, as even while i was dancing i had trouble working them?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Barbell squats
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    start dancin again. you obviously love it.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    Barbell squats.

and deadlifts. might as well throw in some bench presses, overhead presses, barbell rows, and pull ups while you;re at it.
  • lozloz85
    lozloz85 Posts: 10
    Options
    im doing 30 day squat challenge on day 2 and i really feel it in tops of my legs x
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Good article on why women need to stop using the word "tone"

http://justinrivelli.com/2012/03/18/the-muscle-tone-myth-high-reps-dont-tone/
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    im doing 30 day squat challenge on day 2 and i really feel it in tops of my legs x

Challenges are great, but temporary. Add some weight and be consistent. New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, and Stronglifts are some good programs to get started with full body lifting.
  • bethanemaddox
    Options
    I agree with starting dancing again.. Or starting a fitness class like Zumba or Salsa.. :)