Do I have an addiction to food? Yes.

Options
It's funny how people become addicted to numerous things such as alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. No one really realizes that food itself can become an addiction.

The smell, taste, and the memories that you associate with food makes it hard to say no. Or the fact that food always had your back when you were down and out and comforted you when no one else did.

Being bullied throughout my life I relied on food to support me, guide me, and be the only friend I had. It became my rock and I balanced against it and still do.

I hate the fact that I can't look at a Kit Kat bar or ice cream and pizza without getting anxiety and all I can concentrate on is eating that food. It's an awful thing that I have to go through every day...I hate the fact that I can't concentrate when there is junk around.

I wish they had a rehab for food addicts because my relationship with food is VERY unhealthy...and I work at it every day to control it...

For those of you who have an addiction to food how do you deal with it?

Replies

• capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm addicted. I will straight up DIE without it. I choose to feed my addiction.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wish they had a rehab for food addicts because my relationship with food is VERY unhealthy...and I work at it every day to control it...

For those of you who have an addiction to food how do you deal with it?

There are groups that help with food addiction. Overeaters Anonymous is one, but a check of your local paper or an internet search would likely yield other groups or places that may help.

I have never tried any of these.
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    I'm pretty good with money. And MFP lets me view calories like currency. I look at those foods and weigh if it is worth the calories, at this point some foods that I would have died without, I don't even see as edible anymore, even if I wasn't counting, knowing what they "cost" now just wouldn't make them appealing ever again.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had to change my way of thinking about food, and stop putting food into a "good" or "bad" category. It's hard to not associate food with feelings. It's taken me a decent amount of time before I can walk past the check out without grabbing a candy bar, or a bag of chips. I didn't even realize half the time that I was doing it, until I got into the car. You just have to be honest with yourself about why you're eating something. For a time, I kept a "food journal" separate from where I would log. I'd write down how I was feeling when I ate something, if there was an extreme emotion, if I was really hungry, etc. It was sad, and hard to go back and read somethings I wrote. It's definitely helped me get an idea of how I associate food.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've found it is easier to abstain than to moderate. I've learned what my trigger foods are to over-eat, and now I stay away from them.

I know I will finish anything I open, including a full box of chocolates. If I MUST have a trigger food, I try to put built in controls, like buying a small serving or eating with someone who will share it with me.

I rarely eat fresh crusty bread anymore as I am tempted to finish the entire loaf. I love pizza, and will still have some, but I make room for it in my calorie budget, and ensure it's pizza worth eating, same with fries.

I have found strength in embracing my weaknesses.

Hope you find your way!!!
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I went to OA for a while. It is important to find the right group. My group didn't fit me, but I learned the principles and found my own way to apply them.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to eating and is something that I do every single day
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you get a juicer (sometimes you can find them in thrift stores if you can't afford a new one) and juice some veggies. Mix sweeter ones, like carrots and beets, with greens, and add some apple if you need help with the flavor. Or buy some wheat grass powder and mix that with juice. When I did that, I found the cravings for junk food (sweets and savory alike) disappeared.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest you check out this book!

The end of overeating by David A Kessler MD
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi,i could of written that, thats exactly my relationship with food. Its still a fighting battle for me. xx
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What I've found to be the biggest help is setting up new reward systems in my life in order to get my emotional needs met without overeating. I have a big problem with food, and it stems a lot from feelings of worthlessness and being judged. So I've looked for things that make me feel worthwhile, like riding my bike (something I'm pretty good at), or looking at the scale (when I'm losing, anyway.)

I tend to be my harshest critic, and when I get too far into my head I lose the momentum. It's tough. But groups like OA or even just opening yourself up to a support system like family, friends, and MFP can be very helpful!
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Unlike the other addictions, you still need food, so I feel ya, it's hard! You're in a great place to find recovery though! I do recommend you record your foods diligently, and start being proud of the good choices you DO make. This has helped me identify my weaknesses and save up my willpower specifically for those times(for example, visiting Rite Aid right after work when I'm hungry, and seeing the shelves of chocolate, is BAD idea). Best of luck to you! Oh, and if you really do feel like it's out of control, a good mental health professional and nutritionist combo can help you. Many people can make the changes they need to on their own, but some can't, and I don't want to belittle your predicament.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sugar, and have not been able to find a good way to deal with that addiction - it is a work in progress.

In the past I was able to give up cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine, but sugar is a whole different story.
  • Aleysia87
    Aleysia87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    IMHO, any sort of brain-rewiring takes time, and more importantly, non-reinforcement. In this case, it means disassociating food with comfort, but also disassociating food with guilt (which then makes you want to feel comforted).

I have no doubts that there are a multitude of ways to accomplish this, but I'll share my (accidental and potentially controversial) discovery that I made a few years back.

I've always been a junk food addict, especially sweets. They were yummy, a good distraction from boredom, and a good distraction from bad feelings. About 3-4 years ago, I took ephedrine/caffeine for almost a year to lose weight, and while I knew that it primarily worked through appetite suppression, I didn't expect it to cure my food addiction. The appetite suppression effect was sometimes so powerful that thinking about food made me feel slightly queasy. I would lose an appetite for everything, including junky, sugary food. A year later, I realized it was starting to make me feel sick (possibly adrenal fatigue, since I didn't take too many breaks?), and stopped. The sugar cravings never came back -- although I still enjoy chips and salty-fatty snack foods (and actually crave them more for ~1 week after I eat some).

First, they say that sugar is like a drug, and that you need to spend some time not eating it and "detoxing" from it before the cravings go away. Second, I think that anything we eat or do or whatever that gives us good feelings will produce some level of cravings temporarily -- it makes sense, our brain remembers that it made us feel good. Once it "forgets", it all becomes much easier. I think that's basically what happened to me.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I eat, and now I'm here. Food makes me so happy, but being fat doesn't :(
  • angelgayla
    angelgayla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You're exactly right - food can be an addiction for some people. Unlike drugs, alcohol and tobacco though, you can't just quit cold turkey - you HAVE to eat! I am an overeater and it's a constant battle to fight the desire for certain trigger foods that will derail me from my plan and it's a struggle to try to understand the underlying reasons for my overeating so that I can stop it before it starts. MFP helps a lot with the planning and I use various resources for daily motivation to stay focused on eating healthy - books, blogs & friends.
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    You all have made some excellent points and have really given me some great tips thank you all so much!!!!
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Seeing a therapist that specializes in your particular eating disorder helps. Check with your medical insurance to see what they cover in the way of mental health care. If you don't have health care, then be diligent in eating nutrient dense food (get the most nutrition out of what you are eating), counting your calories and exercising daily. Use MFP like your life depends on it, because ultimately, it does.
  • KEAVES13
    KEAVES13 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I too feel like I am definately a food addict, hence the numerous diet quests. But what I have finally come to realize (possibly even my "AHA" moment) is that "persistence is far more important than perfection." I was always an all or nothing person. I would either be super strict, which would only last a moment, and then I would eat anything and everything I wanted with no control. I have realized that I got this way by making bad food choices day after day after day, and that it will take day after day after day of making good food choices to get to where I want to be. I am so tired of being overweight and all the complications that come with it, but I now feel like what's the hurry?? I've been this way for so long and it's going to take a while to change that, and I'm okay with that. Now my plan is to continue tracking eating normal portion sizes and enjoying those "cheat" foods in moderation. I tell myself that no food is off limits, but I just have to make better choices as far as how and when to have them. I have only been doing this successfully for the past 4 days, but I am already seeing results and am just taking it one day at a time. You can do it..good luck in your journey! =))
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time and I'm so ashamed. :blushing:

Seriously................I'm feelin ya