where do you stand on whole grains?

Options
do you incorporate them into every meal? do you eat a lot of them? a little? what types do you favor?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    very little... pasta whenever I have it (not often) and occasionally bread.

Back in my pre-MFP days I had a lot of luck staying away from procressed/refined foods. But I wasn't tracking cals (or at least don't remember doing it), so I have no idea how much I was actually eating. My gut tells me my success was more due to better macros and fewer cals than it was the "quality" of the food I was eating.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I maybe eat 1 or 2 servings a day-- but I don't try to eat a grain at every meal.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I like Quinoa, Chia and the Food for Life Breads, Toasted Buckwheat Groats, Brown Rice and the Kashi frozen meals. I probably eat them about once a week or so (except for the bread).
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I will eat processed pasta, white rice, or bread maybe once a week.

Mostly, I eat oatmeal and flax OR Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain cereal for breakfast 3-4X per week, and then Mestemacher Fitness Bread or Garman style whole-rye vollkornbrot (literally "full grain bread") as a sandwich bread maybe 2 X per week, and quoinoa maybe 1 - 2 X per week.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I will eat processed pasta, white rice, or bread maybe once a week.

Mostly, I eat oatmeal and flax OR Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain cereal for breakfast 3-4X per week, and then Mestemacher Fitness Bread or Garman style whole-rye vollkornbrot (literally "full grain bread") as a sandwich bread maybe 2 X per week, and quoinoa maybe 1 - 2 X per week.

I love your PP
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I dig 'em :). They're not the bulk of my lunches/dinners but I do find having a complex carb (whole grain and/or legumes) helps with sticking power. For breakfast essentially every day I have oat bran (plus other things, but that's the base). I love variety though, not just bread and pasta--I currently stock buckwheat, kasha, millet, barley, quinoa, oats, and oat bran (plus lentils and assorted beans, though obviously those aren't grains, and some couscous and multigrain pasta).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do about 20 - 25% carbs a day ..

Most of that is vegetables...but I usually go with whole wheat, whole grain bread, brown rice...
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    All of the grains that I DO eat are whole, but I try to avoid them if possible.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Eat you grains!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat my Coach's Oats every morning. I also enjoy quinoa, farro, wild rice, brown rice. I have regular pasta on occasion as well as whole grain bread from time to time. I usually have some sort of grain or starch at every meal. I don't really do white rice or white bread...except my tortillas (not something I'm willing to budge on). You just have to remember that grains and starches are calorie dense, so a little goes a long way. Just like everything else, consumption in moderation. I have nowhere near the amount of grains that the outdated food pyramid says.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Where do I stand on grains? Right on top of 'em, as I kick 'em to the curb. ;-) Hahaha, just kidding...sort of. I will eat one small slice of locally-baked Ezekiel bread once a day.

That's pretty much the only grains I eat now, unless you count some days I've been naughty.