Animal Protein and Cancer

Options
2»

Replies

• Laurelthequeen
    Options
    100% grassfed beef is the way to go. The "regular" meat sold in stores is full of unhealthy stuff & from animals fed things they would not eat in nature.

This. I think most of the problems are related to the industrial food system.

Chicken I buy local and "all natural" (whatever that means), but it's not pastured. Chickens suffer minimal problems compared to other animals on a corn-based diet.
    Pork I rarely buy, so tend to buy standard, but I'd like to find a good source for heritage breeds that are humanely raised.
    Beef I do not buy unless it's been grass fed. It's bad for the cows, bad for the environment, and bad for you.
    Milk we buy locally produced grass-fed milk
    Eggs we buy pastured during farmer's market season, and cage free at the grocery store during the winter.

We recently started to reduce the amount of animal proteins that we're eating by increasing our quinoa, tofu, and general legume intake to make up for the animal proteins we've cut.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    they don't generally discern a good, grass-fed, pasture-raised steak from a Great Value hotdog. Not all meat is created equal.

LOL U got that right baby! Why go for a little hot dog when you can have Shockwave's
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvPUZx3OvUUmmYQ1NAukfrBxhnjkOg69V9f4drNUdUY3TPDk6_5w
    :laugh: :drinker:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Living longer due to adequate nutrition increases your likelihood of getting cancer.

Hahaha. I am thoroughly amused. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. :D

I could have posted one of the upteen well cited criticisms of the book/statement, then someone else would have thrown out more recent studies, then I'd have to throw out another study, then I'd get another seemingly contradictory study, then someone would post a picture of bacon...

would you have preferred this?
  • inksmear
    inksmear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Living longer due to adequate nutrition increases your likelihood of getting cancer.

Hahaha. I am thoroughly amused. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. :D

I could have posted one of the upteen well cited criticisms of the book/statement, then someone else would have thrown out more recent studies, then I'd have to throw out another study, then I'd get another seemingly contradictory study, then someone would post a picture of bacon...

would you have preferred this?

Nope. I genuinely enjoyed what you said.
  • eroc71
    eroc71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A new study shows that most people are born and eventually die. The question is not IF you will die, but how. Cancer, Buses and rock climbing all end lives. Now before you get cancer, hit by a bus or die rock climbing. Go enjoy TODAY. The sun is shining, somewhere. Go find it.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Nope. I genuinely enjoyed what you said.

In that case I'm a dumbass and need a new sarcasm filter installed...I apologize. Rock on.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    A new study shows that most people are born and eventually die. The question is not IF you will die, but how. Cancer, Buses and rock climbing all end lives. Now before you get cancer, hit by a bus or die rock climbing. Go enjoy TODAY. The sun is shining, somewhere. Go find it.

^^damn straight
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that there are significant problems with much of Campbells work.

What?! You mean feeding casein to mice after they've been injected with tumor cells *doesn't* translate to all animal proteins causing cancer in humans?!

/sarcasm
    If I remember correctly the tumor ridden mice given the casein got cancer because they lived longer, the control group dropped dead almost immediately........casein improved longevity......funny how that correlates, isn't it.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian but really what doesn't have a correlational link to cancer these days?

Exercise. I'm guessing you meant food, but really exercise can lower your cancer risk by more than most foods can raise it. Exercise is the key to good health.

I thought exercise increases oxidation and oxidation is the cause of cancer and you should eat food with antioxidants if you exercise so that your risk of cancer is the same as it would have been if you didn't exercise and didn't eat cancer-causing foods? At least, that's what I got from merging a few Daily Mail headlines together.

ETA: Sitting also causes cancer "even if you exercise". The only thing they haven't (from what Google is showing me) linked to causing cancer is lying down, although not getting enough sleep or sleeping with a light on both cause cancer, so as I have insomnia I might as well eat plutonium because I'll probably get cancer anyway.

ETA2: I can't add plutonium to my diet. MFP doesn't have a calorie count for it and I think the security services would have a problem with someone burning some of it to see how many calories are in it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The sun will give me cancer. :sick:

" new study shows that most people are born and eventually die" -- what happened to the other people? Grown in Petri dishes or test tubes and/or eventually became one of the undead?
  • MinnieLou92
    MinnieLou92 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Everything causes cancer these days...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thought exercise increases oxidation and oxidation is the cause of cancer and you should eat food with antioxidants if you exercise so that your risk of cancer is the same as it would have been if you didn't exercise and didn't eat cancer-causing foods? At least, that's what I got from merging a few Daily Mail headlines together.

Wine as antioxidants. :drinker: