lost the weight.....but now i am flabby!

Options
hey all :)

ok, so i just wanted to say you all are a great inspiration to me and everyone struggling with weight problems. :)

i lost abt 80 pounds this passed year and a half and oh my god was i thankful. Well, i was happy when i was first skinnier now i look at myself and its all flabby. Each place i touch its droopy or if i walk my legs shake worse than when i was bigger.

What i am trying to ask is has anyone had this problem if so, what did you do to fix it. I cant go to a gym because money is tight. I work at dominos in the morning till 5 or 6 at night so idk when i have time to work out. Pleeeease help me :( i am only 18 and i feel like i am 70 something... (no offense to the eldery i was just making a comparison.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Make the time to start a strength/resistance training routine.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and start lifting weights.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Getting home at 5/6 is pretty early. You still have plenty of time to work out. Google body weight exercises, or you tube them. You should fins a lot. Squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups, planks, etc. There's a lot that you can still do. Don't give up. You may be seeing some skin that is loose too. Give that some time, as that can take a little bit to 'catch up' to the rest of you. In the mean time, make sure you hydrate with water (lots) as well as moisturize to help with your skins elasticity.

Initially, it may feel really tough to make yourself work out after work in the evening, but soon it will become a habit. Good luck!
  • Hanjamlan
    Hanjamlan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You need strength and resistance. You need to start building muscle.
    Get a DVD to do at your house. I don't like the gym and also don't want to spend the money and so I bought Insanity. Wow. its awesome! If you are faithful in doing that DVD you will not be flabby anymore! Look it up. Its hard but honestly you can go at your own pace and build up to it! And since you are so young, you can handle it. Don't get scared lol. If you are looking for something cheaper. Go get Jillian Micheals 30 day Shed. Thats a little easier (still works you out and builds muscle) and MUCH cheaper. You can get that one from walmart. Insanity you have to order.
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    seems like insanity would be a good choice for you. it builds muscle without a whole weight room.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow, 'Intensity' is so expensive and the '30 day shred' reviews make it sound like a killer. I'm in a similar position and need to lose flab but I am SO unfit and I'm intimidated by these intense workouts.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Do the exercise videos at the best pace that you can... That's how they are designed. Good luck and get toning!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wow, 'Intensity' is so expensive and the '30 day shred' reviews make it sound like a killer. I'm in a similar position and need to lose flab but I am SO unfit and I'm intimidated by these intense workouts.

Why am I laughing hysterically at this?
    30DS is nothing... It is great for any beginner. Insanity on the other hand, not so much for beginners. try 30DS!!
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    30DS is excellent and you just start out doing what you can and build up. I noticed a HUGE difference in endurance in 5 days. All you need is a small set of weights (maybe 2.5lbs) and the video is only 20mins! Works great when you're strapped for time.
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    Look for a cheap barbell, weights, bench and squat rack - maybe look on ebay, craigslist, or Gumtree? They can last you for a very long time and you can use them any time of day!
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    I'm concerned about this same issue...thanks for posting this! And thanks to you all for the great feedback. I'm on it!
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    80 pounds is quite a bit of weight lost. Other users gave good advice but perhaps some of it is also skin? I'm down almost 50 pounds and I have some skin that makes me look more flabby than I am. Granted I could do with building some muscle, but I know I wouldn't look quite so "soft" if I didn't have the extra skin as well.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I work at dominos in the morning till 5 or 6 at night so idk when i have time to work out. Pleeeease help me :( i am only 18 and i feel like i am 70 something... (no offense to the eldery i was just making a comparison.

I'm still at work at 5 or 6. I find time to work out when I get home. You either make time or you stay flabby. The 30-day shred is free on you tube or $10 at the store. No more excuses - you lost 80 lbs which is fantastic - I KNOW you can do this next step too and start working out! :flowerforyou:
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is amazing for beginners. It is a good workout, and it is not that hard. I am gone from 6am - 7pm every day. It's 30 minutes so I was able to fit it in right after I got home.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Some of this might be excess skin. You have lost a lot of weight. (congrats!!!!!) At your age, your skin will shrink to the new you over time. And work on those muscles, too.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    hey all :)

ok, so i just wanted to say you all are a great inspiration to me and everyone struggling with weight problems. :)

i lost abt 80 pounds this passed year and a half and oh my god was i thankful. Well, i was happy when i was first skinnier now i look at myself and its all flabby. Each place i touch its droopy or if i walk my legs shake worse than when i was bigger.

What i am trying to ask is has anyone had this problem if so, what did you do to fix it. I cant go to a gym because money is tight. I work at dominos in the morning till 5 or 6 at night so idk when i have time to work out. Pleeeease help me :( i am only 18 and i feel like i am 70 something... (no offense to the eldery i was just making a comparison.

start lifting at home - use canned goods or better yet laundry detergent (if you buy the bottles). 1 gallon water jugs in each hand are great "weights". squats/lunges/leg lifts will help firm up your thighs. my suggestion would be to work out when you get home. 6:00 isn't that late.

congratulations on loosing the weight too. :) good job!
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Getting home at 5/6 is pretty early. You still have plenty of time to work out. Google body weight exercises, or you tube them. You should fins a lot. Squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups, planks, etc. There's a lot that you can still do. Don't give up. You may be seeing some skin that is loose too. Give that some time, as that can take a little bit to 'catch up' to the rest of you. In the mean time, make sure you hydrate with water (lots) as well as moisturize to help with your skins elasticity.

Initially, it may feel really tough to make yourself work out after work in the evening, but soon it will become a habit. Good luck!

^^^THIS

Is excellent advice. I have seen it work in real life, my best friend (someone I find very inspirational) lost 84lbs in a year and a half. At first her skin was very loose in places. With dedication to body weight exercises as mentioned above, lifting (at home with cheap store bought weights to add to squats & lunges), and lots of lotion another year later it has really firmed up a lot. Especially her @ss and thighs. Bounce a quarter off that girls butt now. :wink:

Hang in there it gets better!!! (by the way she is in her late 20's, so if her skin can do it so can yours):happy:
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Any of Jillian's dvd's are great...my favorite is her six pack in six weeks. It has light cardio with some kick butt (and seriously it works the butt) exercises.

Most advice I have gotten for the same issue is weights, weights, and oh, weight lifting. Some people have suggested the book "You are Your Own Gym". See if they have it at your local library or for cheap at a discount book store.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

^^^THIS

Is excellent advice. I have seen it work in real life, my best friend (someone I find very inspirational) lost 84lbs in a year and a half. At first her skin was very loose in places. With dedication to body weight exercises as mentioned above, lifting (at home with cheap store bought weights to add to squats & lunges), and lots of lotion another year later it has really firmed up a lot. Especially her @ss and thighs. Bounce a quarter off that girls butt now. :wink:

Hang in there it gets better!!! (by the way she is in her late 20's, so if her skin can do it so can yours):happy:

A lnk even: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

A better link: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/bodyweight-training-resources/
  • Hanjamlan
    Hanjamlan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HAHA i'm laughing at myself because i called the workout Intensity instead of Insanity lol Sorry. I was rushing when typing. But yes it is expensive however you can do it for years and years and years. So really its not that expensive. Plus your body is worth it!! and yes 30 days shed is great but also Ripped in 30 is good. They are cheap and even if you don't like it, you've only wasted $10. Its worth a shot!