Have you read a diet/exercise/ health book you like?

Options
After my exams end I can finally put the casebooks aside and read for pleasure a bit! I would like to read a weightloss book....not really a fad diet and not anything that advocates very restricted eating- no raw or vegan, etc. I'd be open to something more exercise based too. I've read some reviews, but was curious what people here liked.

So, anyone read a weight loss book that they really liked that wasn't just peddling a ridiculous product/ gimmick??

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Not "a diet" but REALLY revealing about why we eat the way we do and what we don't know about the food we eat:

"The End of Overeating" by David Kessler. It's a very readable discussion of the research behind appetite and satiation, and also the research behind food processing and how it affects us.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not a weight-loss book, but Real Food Has Curves was helpful for me. It examines our perceptions of "fresh," our relationships and rituals with food, and advocates for eating real foods that have not been processed.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Pick up "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It's amazing!
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women - great exercise and sound nutrition advice/guidelines
    Potatoes not Prozac & Your Last Diet ... about the effect of sugar
    The Fast Diet - intermittent fasting
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    "Women, Food, and God." This isn't gimmicky, it just helps you figure out WHY you're overeating (emotional, stress, etc.) which helps solve the problem. And it's not "preachy".
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels "Slim for Life" basically the whole book is how to loose weight the right way and keep it off for the rest of your life.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never read a diet or exercise book, and no health book that wasn't required for school. I do, however, love to read this internet site http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

They have many books available if you prefer a book - http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/nutrition-books-by-faculty/
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    The Complete Beck Diet for Life. I didn't end up using this as it wasn't my style, but I thought it was an interesting approach. I think it could be useful for some people. If I was more of an emotional eater, I might try it out.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I've never even written one that I liked.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Brain Over Binge
    Nice Girls Finish Fat
    The Perfect Health Diet - so science-y, I love it.
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    I second "In Defense of Food". I also liked "French women don't get fat" because it is well written and more about an approach to food and activity than any specific "diet" and it has some AWESOME recipes.
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The Eat Clean Diet... it isn't really about dieting, just about making better choices and what your body does with sugar and things like that. So informative
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I second what another poster said "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler. Also "It Starts With Food" by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig is life-changing. No kidding. "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas is also wonderful!
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Metabolic repair manual
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic Diet book
  • slimforparis
    slimforparis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'll second 'French women don't get fat' - lots of ideas about ways to change your daily habits and yes , I return to the recipes in this book often.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels "Slim for Life" basically the whole book is how to loose weight the right way and keep it off for the rest of your life.

seconded
  • LindaEmrys
    LindaEmrys Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My diary! Helps to keep me going and makes me realise how far I've come already :)
  • Omgsitsmanda
    Options
    I've yet to finish it, but you should read Transcend by Ray Kurzweil ( http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Nine-Steps-Living-Forever/dp/1605292079/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366919638&sr=1-1&keywords=transcend+book ) It's really great.. has a plethora of information!
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!