My body refuses to be fooled - is this possible?

Options
First attempt at weight loss, Weight Watchers, I lost 50 lbs. in a relatively short amount of time, 6 months. Had a baby, several months later went on WW again - followed a similar WW plan as before and lost 20 lbs. Fell off the wagon again, gained, tried WW again, lost 6 lbs. Keeping in mind that I ultimately returned to the weight I was before the first WW loss, and then some. Sooooo, I've tried various things like low carb diets, the 17 Day Diet - which is minimal carbs for the first 17 days and then going through various cycles of "tricking" your body over 2 more phases.
I think my body is tricked out. My body doesn't seem to be "falling for it" anymore. Is that possible? I eat very healthy, drink a ton of water and I jog/walk/circuit train for at least an hour every single day. Not losing an ounce.
I started MFP, I religiously track every single thing that goes into my mouth (I'm getting WAYYYYYY too much sodium, which I'm now starting to cut back on). I eat lots of white chicken, fish, tons of healthy veggies, approx. a gallon of water a day, a small amount of carbs but haven't cut them out completely. I just don't eat anything "white" except the white meats.

Any suggestions? Is it possible that my body is fed up with me tricking it?

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    First attempt at weight loss, Weight Watchers, I lost 50 lbs. in a relatively short amount of time, 6 months. Had a baby, several months later went on WW again - followed a similar WW plan as before and lost 20 lbs. Fell off the wagon again, gained, tried WW again, lost 6 lbs. Keeping in mind that I ultimately returned to the weight I was before the first WW loss, and then some. Sooooo, I've tried various things like low carb diets, the 17 Day Diet - which is minimal carbs for the first 17 days and then going through various cycles of "tricking" your body over 2 more phases.
    I think my body is tricked out. My body doesn't seem to be "falling for it" anymore. Is that possible? I eat very healthy, drink a ton of water and I jog/walk/circuit train for at least an hour every single day. Not losing an ounce.
    I started MFP, I religiously track every single thing that goes into my mouth (I'm getting WAYYYYYY too much sodium, which I'm now starting to cut back on). I eat lots of white chicken, fish, tons of healthy veggies, approx. a gallon of water a day, a small amount of carbs but haven't cut them out completely. I just don't eat anything "white" except the white meats.

it's pretty obvious to me that you really have no idea how/why your body gains or loses weight.

it's all about the calories. how much water you drink or not is irrelevant. what you eat is irrelevant. how long or how often you work out is largely irrelevant.

what matters is this... calories out > calories in.

the point of logging is to know whether or not you are meeting this relationship. you must log accurately though.

the first step is to understand your BMR and TDEE and what these are. once you do that, you can set yourself an appropriate calorie goal. then you can worry about meeting your macros. this is what determines your food choices. forget all that nonsense about "good" food or "bad" food or "healthy" food or "unhealthy" food.

get started here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

start reading. start learning. then put what you've learned into action.

the laws of physics cannot be changed and ultimately, your body MUST adhere to these laws. if you eat fewer calories than you expend, day in and day out, you will lose weight.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How much are you currently eating? Your diary isn't open. Are you exercising?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to provide advice if your diary was open.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Listen to Winner. It's all in the name.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary so I can't comment on what you are eating. But it is time to stop the gimmick diets. Weight loss isn't about a diet. It is about a lifestyle change. What ever you do to lose weight needs to be something you plan to sustain for the rest of your life. You can't just go back to "normal" eating once you hit your goal weight or you just gain it all back. So first recommendations no more Weight Watchers or other diet plans. Second is make your food diary public or add me as a friend so we can look at what you are eating and give you a better idea of what is going on.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Sadly, weight loss pop culture has perpetuated this idea of "tricking your body" into shedding fat/losing weight or "kickstarting your metabolism". There's no such thing. The only thing that will positively affect your weight loss is eating at a small deficit from your total daily energy requirements (e.g. what your body needs to run efficiently) and exercise for body recomposition purposes. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Move more.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Open your diary....then we can give more accurate advice.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Do you use a scale to track how much you eat, or just guestimate?

I finally saw positive movement on the human scale after buying a food scale.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. We need to see your diary to be able to give a fair assessment.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do you use a scale to track how much you eat, or just guestimate?

I finally saw positive movement on the human scale after buying a food scale.

I also agree with this. Many people guestimate on food and calories burned. I definitely saw better results after buying a food scale to accurately measure food and a Heart Rate Monitor (I have Polar FT7) to accurately count my calories burned. You can't always rely on the figures in MFP or on a cardio machine at the gym. They are just estimates most times.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    There are too many variables that may be at play here. First, we don't know your current height, weight, goals, etc.

Also, being that you may have been at a very low calorie diet for an extremely long period of time, you may have to reset to get your body losing again. This doesn't have anything to do with boosting or tricking, though. Given your history of fad diets, your body may have slowed down to meet the energy you were providing. If that has happened, then by increasing calories to meet MFP, there is the chance you could gain weight because of the rapid calorie increase.

What is the time frame of all those fad diets combined?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

it's pretty obvious to me that you really have no idea how/why your body gains or loses weight.

it's all about the calories. how much water you drink or not is irrelevant. what you eat is irrelevant. how long or how often you work out is largely irrelevant.

what matters is this... calories out > calories in.

the point of logging is to know whether or not you are meeting this relationship. you must log accurately though.

the first step is to understand your BMR and TDEE and what these are. once you do that, you can set yourself an appropriate calorie goal. then you can worry about meeting your macros. this is what determines your food choices. forget all that nonsense about "good" food or "bad" food or "healthy" food or "unhealthy" food.

get started here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

start reading. start learning. then put what you've learned into action.

the laws of physics cannot be changed and ultimately, your body MUST adhere to these laws. if you eat fewer calories than you expend, day in and day out, you will lose weight.

:drinker:
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Fad diets don't work. Eating healthy, exercising, and maintaining a deficit of calories does. I know a lot of people disagree (and I'm not going to debate), but low carb diets just rob your body of half the nutrients it needs. Eating a healthy portion of "good" carbs (veggies, potatoes, popcorn, whole grains, etc.) is an important part of a balanced diet.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sadly, weight loss pop culture has perpetuated this idea of "tricking your body" into shedding fat/losing weight or "kickstarting your metabolism". There's no such thing. The only thing that will positively affect your weight loss is eating at a small deficit from your total daily energy requirements (e.g. what your body needs to run efficiently) and exercise for body recomposition purposes. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

:flowerforyou:
  • steph2606
    steph2606 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    WATCH YOUR SODIUM INTAKE! You mention you have a lot of sodium to cut back on in your post.
    Sodium makes you retain water and could affect your result when you weigh in.

Otherwise I agree with everyone above. You need to look at calories in VS calories out...and work out your BMR!

This will really help you out :smile:
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    OPEN YOUR FOOD DIARY!!!!!
    PLEASE!!!!!

You already have the answer to your question. SALT We can only guess @ where you are getting it. My guess is that like others who complain of not losing weight, you eat almost nothing but pre-packed processed foods. When I got rid of the Sodium in my diet, I began losing 3 lbs/week.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Maybe instead of these tricks:
    magician_26.gif

You need to try these tricks:
    jedi-mind-trick-o.gif
  • imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think my body is tricked out. My body doesn't seem to be "falling for it" anymore. Is that possible?

I am not sure if this may be what you mean but some people have said that yo-yo dieters have a harder time losing each time they go on a "diet". This thinking is wrong (which I am super happy about). So your body isn't getting smarter in holding onto weight I promise.

Also, take pics/measurements!
  • valey1234
    valey1234 Posts: 29
    Options
    Weight watchers is a great program I was on it twice only stopped because of expepenses. You really need to get serious loseing weight is somthing you need to do for you and your loved ones it is a lifestyle change. so start keeping a diary and choose an exercise that you like and keep at it you are not alone. valey1234