Torn rotator cuff

Options
Wondering if anyone out there has/is suffering from a torn rotator cuff? I have been having shoulder pain and went to the docs who thinks its a torn rotator cuff, but before declaring surgery he wants me to try a few at home exercises to see if it will repair itself, or if its even a full blown tear.

With that said, I have taken a huge step back from my normal workout routine as I don't want to damage it. It's only been a week and I am already going insane not feeling like I should go for a workout. I usually run or do yoga but I am worried even light jogging will irritate it more.

Any suggestions of workouts that I could without the fear of tearing my shoulder up more ?

Replies

• metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this question is ignorant, but why would light jogging irritate your arms if you keep them static?

I'm thinking you could use a spin bike without handlebars (just sit upright), or the arc trainer at the gym if you keep your hands to the side rather than the mobile bars. The stationary bike is very easy to use and designed to utilize the legs only. Did I mention walking uphill?
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Lower body workouts like walking/ light jogging should not hurt or strain the shoulder. I had a strained rotator cuff and continued walks / light jogs /light work on the Elliptical. You can always check with the doctor to be sure (as each person's injury is different).

It's important to keep up on the rehab exercises he gave you.

You can also google for some rotator cuff exercises (often the images/videos can help with technique).
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You move your arms In a back and forth swinging motion when you run/jog/power walk, or at least I do. And this sounds silly but idk how much is too much because I have an exceptionally high pain tollerance and don't always recognize when I need to stop, I will just press forward.

But thanks for the suggestions, I will just go for some walks and hit up the stationary bike :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Bump . I'm having surgery on my rotator cuff this summer.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Have you found anything that helps you?
    I have a calcific deposit on my rotator cuff. I an going to have surgery to remove it and possibly the surgeon will repair a tear or fray, to be decided during surgery. It has been incredibly painful. I find running hurts less than walking because the muscles in my arm are more engaged. .
    I can't do yoga.
    I do squats and lunges.
    A stationary bike might be your best bet.

I have lost weight without relying on exercise just from eating below TDEE.
    But I gave also lost muscle in my upper body.

I hope you feel better soon so you can resume your exercise routine.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My husband had a torn rotator cuff -- he ciuldn't even lift a cup of coffee it was such a bad tear He had to have surgery - I hope you can avoid that by doing the therapy/exercises the doctor gives you. The recovery is very difficult - immobilization for several weeks then therapy.

I agree that walking and jogging usually involves arm movement - hopefully the bikes, etc. will keep you going.

Good luck.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor today and he said all symptoms point towards a torn rotator. He is recommending an MRI. Did you have an MRI done to validate the tear?

I have quit doing any weight training that involves using the shoulder. I have still been able to do tricep and bicep exercises. Hoping I am not making things worse! Which really sucks considering it is almost tank top season! I think walking uphill on a treadmill or outside is a great idea. I cycle outside (30-50 miles at a time) and it does not bother my shoulder...

Best of luck to you...
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise until you have a proper diagnosis and a consultation with a physiotherapist.

Trust me on this.

Did you know that, if you don't give a torn rotator cuff a chance to heal and continue exercising, you can destabilise the joint so much that somebody bumping into you on the bus can result in your humerus sticking almost out of your back?

That can take over two years to heal properly.

It's not fun, I can promise you that.
  • lisagregory01
    lisagregory01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a torn rotator cuff that I got from working with a trainer who was pushing me too hard. I tried to deal with the pain but when it hurt to pour a cup of coffee I went to the dr. He gave me a cortisone shot, a prescription for pain and sent me to therapy. I told my therapist to move on with it because I was sure it wouldn't work and I was going to have surgery as soon as the x number of weeks was over and I went back to the dr. My therapist told me to do any and everything to avoid surgery. He said it is the hardest recovery he has ever seen with patients. Within several weeks my shoulder was getting stronger, even though I was still doubtful! It had atrophied so much you could see it in the mirror. When I would tell my PT that I was surprised that it felt good he would tell me that was because it was gaining strength but more importantly the blood in that area was circulating again. Before all of this started I has signed up for my 1st triathlon and thought I would have to back out. But lo and behold I was feeling a little better and started training for the swim. My therapist was doubtful I would tolerate swimming. He was dead wrong! I am convinced that swimming (along with the cortisone and therapy at first) healed my tear long enough to strengthen the muscles around the tear. I can still feel the tear but I lift weights, spin and do yoga pain free! Hang in there and do therapy! Everyone is different so just be careful.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone !! I gave it a full 10 days, no painting or heavy lifting (I build and paint theater sets, so a lot of lifting) and did my exercises. It's a lot better and have slowly added in jog/walks this week. Weakness is the biggest problem but I haven't needed the hydrocodone in about 4 days. Applied pressure to the shoulder still sparks a little pain so I have been trying to avoid caring my backpack all week.

Anyways, I have a check up with the doc Monday morning to determine if physical therapy is necessary or not.

Thanks for everyone's input, I know it will be a slow process but hoping for a clear from surgery this Monday with the progress it's made these past 2 weeks !
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am week 11 post-op. I had the MRI to diagnose the tear, and then I had to wait a month to see the surgeon, but I continued with my usual workouts. When I saw teh surgeon, he told me he could get me pain free with physical therapy, but I had malformations in my clavicles that would cause it to keep happening, so I went ahead with surgery. I had no PT beforehand, because there was no point, as I was having surgery anyway to fix the clavicle issue. I had to wait 2 months for surgery and I worked my *kitten* off in the gym, strengthening everything I could in both of my shoulders to try to make my rehab as simple as possible. I figured if they were going in to fix something, it didn't mater if I tore it more in the meantime. Both the surgeon and the physical therapist have been impressed with my recovery progress, so I guess it was a good decision to keep working as hard as I could around the pain in the interim.

I hope the PT is enough to get by, because surgery and rehab does indeed suck, but with a little planning and a lot of patience, it can be made slightly less miserable. Hopefully I can get under a bar and start lifting again in the next week or two, but until then... lots of walks.
  • FindingAnn
    FindingAnn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is old but I was searching for info on the subject. I am going for an MRI next week. I am at the point if I move too quickly I get stabbing pain. Cannot lift my arm. This is all a result of a fall in Oct2013. I was out for a run and tripped. My left wrist and arm took the full force of the fall - not a scratch anywhere else. Shattered my wrist and am suffering a lot of injuries in my hand/ wrist and arm. I have tried running a couple of times (against my dr's wishes). The jarring motion of even light jogging is too much.
    I want to find a form of exercise I can do. Cycling, Eliptical, Running, Weight lifting, Rowing are all out. Suggestions?
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I tore both about 5 years ago. If you can sit and type, you are not suffering from a full tear, especially if you are not now on pain meds. It is mind boggling pain.

If it is a partial tear, first use ice packs about 5 or 6 times a day. You can benefit from some Tylenol maybe too. This will help you sleep. Sleep will help you heal. Using a sling for the arm affected will also reduce pain. After some of the pain subsides, you can try some gentle stretching exercises. I would not jog during the time when it is most painful. Try some cycling maybe.
  • 2BVeggie
    2BVeggie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It hurts me to just type, let alone swing arm to walk.

I use treadmill where I can keep arms stable.

That one can lift weights is mind boggling. Good for you.

Shots last me about 20 hours, 3days tops, so I avoid those now.

I do not use my bad arm/shoulder to carry anything at all. Just too painful. Already had surgery twice.

Like stated each person is different. When I had therapy, I worked to the max. Cannot now. Even have to have lightweight clothes and blankets or the weight just screams on my shoulder.

Glad things are working out for you!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a torn labrum in my shoulder (front, top, and back ... years of damage and fighting through pain). The doc authorized the stationary bike, then the elliptical, and eventually treadmill and on to running again. Physical therapy is ongoing ... still in pain doing push exercises (presses, pushups, etc) while pull exercises are fine.