Is my calorie goal to low?

Options
MFP calculates that I can only eat roughly 1200 calories without excercises to lose 0.5 lbs a week.

that seems low for me and I have checked my Total Daily Energy Expenditure which comes out at 1980 calories a day. So, If deduct 500 calories from that I should still be allowed 1480 calories a day.

I wonder why MFP is not calculating this figure unless I missing something? I am 5.6 ft and weigh currently 156 lbs. I am happy with a weight loss of 0.5 lbs a week, but I do feel I should eat a little more that 1200 a day.

Replies

• ogsuarez
    ogsuarez Posts: 3
    Options
    When you add exercise your caloric intake should increase.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Are you accounting for your exercise when calculating TDEE?

MFP gives you a deficit without exercise. You eat your exercise calories back using this system. You do not eat back exercise calories using the TDEE system because it already accounts for it.
  • slender20
    slender20 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you but I have included my excercise in the TDEE, so 1480 should be minium food to lose weight. I will try 1200 for a few weeks plus more for excercise and will see how that goes.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Check your input again. I weigh less than that and MFP says I will lose more than .5 at 1200 calories. Make sure you put your weight in right and make sure you have it set at .5, not 1.5.
  • cosycorner
    cosycorner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't go too low in calories or your body goes into starvation mode
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Thank you but I have included my excercise in the TDEE, so 1480 should be minium food to lose weight. I will try 1200 for a few weeks plus more for excercise and will see how that goes.

This would be counter-productive, as you are decreasing your net calories. That could lead to a lower metabolism rate and stalled weight loss.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My profile is set to sedentary, no exercise and to lose 1 lb per week (I am 5'7" and 201 lbs) and my MFP calories are 1,510. I'm not sure how yours would be so low unless that 50 fewer lbs of body weight really makes that much of a difference.

What do you have your activity level set at? What is your average day like in terms of activity (not counting any "on purpose" exercise that you'll add back calories for when you do it)?
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, your calorie goal is too low. This is all anyone has to say
  • slender20
    Options
    I have now after a week reviewed my daily calories and have decided to go for 1500 calories daily. This is based on being sedentary. So if I do not get to excercise, I will stick to 1500 and if I do some excercise I will eat some or all of my calories back. I will see how that goes but feel much better already after a day or two of eating that little bit more. I want to do this for life and personally I can't see myself living of 1200 forever.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You have something entered wrong in your settings. Using your height and weight, the following comes up:

1290 calories for 1 lb a week.

1540 calories for .5 lbs a week

At 1200 calories, they calculate you will lose 1.2 lbs a week.
  • slender20
    Options
    Thank you. I may have miscalculates someting in my settings and will look at it again. For now I am happy to stay at 1500 calories a day. I have lost 1kg (2.2 lbs) this week so something must be working for me.:bigsmile: