SOOOO Hungry!

Options
The passed couple days, no matter what I do, including drinking water, I just feel like I am starving! I don't want to just snack, what can I eat that is low cal but filling? My cal limit is 1300 cals a day, I walk 2 miles every day. I also don't understand how MFP comes up with calories lost, or any app does for that matter.. For example, I use MapMyWalk for my walks and my 2 miles takes me about 36-38 mins and the app says I lose 373 cals (somewhere in that area) but when I put my walk into MFP, 38 min only equals about 200 something cals burned.. how do I know which one to use? Bleh so lost!

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I find eating processed sugar stimulates my appetite, so you may want to be mindful of that. There are lots of vegetables that are good for snacking on (broccoli, string beans, carrots, pea pods, etc) as well as air popped popcorn and nuts in moderation (I found some 100 calorie nut packs - I have trouble "counting" if I'm dipping out of a multi-serving container). As others have said, make sure you're eating enough to cover your exercise deficit (or at least part of it - when in doubt, I'd go with the lower estimate)
  • Nicolecopperboom
    Options
    I have been eating back my exercise calories. I am pretty sure I need to just go shopping and fill the house with healthy foods, like veggies and fruits. IDK, maybe my body just needs to get used to the lower calories? I just don't like feeling hungry all the time.
  • pamklass
    pamklass Posts: 17
    Options
    I just get days like that too and it passes. In fact this week was like that for me. No matter what I ate Mon, Tues, Wed it wasn't enough and now it has passed and I am back to my normal appetite. I think as women especially this happens in regards to our cycles and what not. Also if you are working out a lot you may need to fuel your body more due to muscle growth etc. Good luck!
  • K81964
    K81964 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hot water with a slice of lemon can help with hunger pangs - better than cold water! Also rather than filling up on sugary fruit, use protein instead; slices of wafer thin ham (roughtly 13 cals per slice) with lots of lettuce and salt/pepper/vinegar dressing. You can also use a teaspoon of olive oil with that dressing as our bodies need the oil and as we have cut out fat, we have to gert it in there somewhere!

Another tuip is to chew s l o w l y.......chew until the food is literally too small to find to chew anymore - taste the flavours, make sure you are last to finish, your brain thinks you have eaten more, your stomach is grateful for the smaller amounts......

Tomatoes, coloured peppers and onion (Including spring onion) are high in sugar and carbs, limit them to 30g in total (i.e. a mix of the three) per meal. Eat smaller portions, 5 - 6 times a day - keeps you topped up rather than 'full up' - and always eat breakfast within 30 mins of waking........

Have fun!
  • Nicolecopperboom
    Options
    You definitely made me LOL thanks lol
  • Nicolecopperboom
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice guys! Much appreciated. all I have left for today is dinner, so hopefully I can hold off! haha
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You are probably hungry because you are EATING ONLY 1300 CALORIES PER DAY!!!!!!!

Pretty darn obvious what the issue is here.
  • Nicolecopperboom
    Options
    You are probably hungry because you are EATING ONLY 1300 CALORIES PER DAY!!!!!!!

Well, I am eating what MFP said I should lmfao, plus my exercise calories, so it ends up being like 1600 ish, depending on the day and what not.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Well, I am eating what MFP said I should lmfao, plus my exercise calories, so it ends up being like 1600 ish, depending on the day and what not.

If you are trying to lose 100+lbs, MFP is lying to you.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Are you 4'? Lol. I ask because 1300 seems awful low for someone just starting out and wanting to lose over 100lbs.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Protein makes me feel very full. And 1300 calories would make me very HANGRY. DEE SMASH!! :devil:
  • khayashi80
    khayashi80 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way. For me I think it might be stress. But it seems even eating every 2 hours I can't get enough.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out which foods keep you full. If I eat cereal I'm hungry but for some it fills them up. I find that popcorn helps me. You just have to figure out which foods work better for you.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    then eat.,
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Go here http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ fill in the info and find out how many calories you really should be eating. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!! Good Luck!!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think your app is overestimating your calorie burn, I get about 150 for 1.2 miles when I walk so use the lower figure but I think you should eat your calories back too.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    many soups are low in calories and very filling. I also like apple cinnamon tea because its sweet enough to drink black.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I eat large salads as meals. Make sure you use vinegrette not dressing.

I have a late breakfast that way I don't need a morning snack.

Hope it helps.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The passed couple days, no matter what I do, including drinking water, I just feel like I am starving! I don't want to just snack, what can I eat that is low cal but filling? My cal limit is 1300 cals a day, I walk 2 miles every day. I also don't understand how MFP comes up with calories lost, or any app does for that matter.. For example, I use MapMyWalk for my walks and my 2 miles takes me about 36-38 mins and the app says I lose 373 cals (somewhere in that area) but when I put my walk into MFP, 38 min only equals about 200 something cals burned.. how do I know which one to use? Bleh so lost!

Regarding being hungry - you might not be eating enough. 1300 might be too low a number for you.

I was eating too low when I started and I was hungry constantly. I upped my daily goal just a bit and also added in some better foods and the constant hunger stopped. Also, if you're exercising, put at least some of those cals back into your body. You have to fuel enough for your activity.

Re: the walking... if you're unsure, always take the lower number. Better to underestimate when talking about burning cals, and better to OVER estimate when you're unsure of something you're eating.

Figure out your TDEE and create your caloric deficit from that. I really suspect you're just not eating enough. If you're only eating 1300, you might even be eating under your BMR, which is why you're always hungry.

Don't just use one calculator though - try a few and take the average.
    There are lot of calculators available - here are two....

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/