Hearty Quinoa & White Bean Soup

Options
chercee
chercee Posts: 120 Member
My mom sent me this recipe, and also made me some of the soup to try. I've been eating it all week - it's completely delicious.

4 tbsp. light olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
1-16oz (473 ml) can white beans
2 cloves garlice, finely chopped
2 cups (500ml) canned chopped tomatoes
6 cups vegetable stock
1/3 cup quinoa
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh oregano, rosemary, or thyme, chopped
1 bay leaf
Sea salt & black pepper, to taste

Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery, and saute for 5 minutes.

Then add beans and garlic, and saute for a couple of minutes more. Stir in chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add quinoa, parsley, oregano (or other herbs), and the bay leaf, and cook for 12-15 minutes to allow the quinoa to cook through. Season with sea salt and black pepper.

Serves 6-8.

Enjoy!

Replies

• chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This sounds good. I have some dried white beans that will go nicely in this.

Thanks.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    That sounds YUM! I'm going to make this next week. I love using Quinoa. I made Quinoa pizza bites last week. They were decent.
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chercee
    Options
    Enjoy everyone! If you come up with any tasty variations, post them!
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love cannellini & quinoa - will def be trying this!
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Will definitely try!
  • clairebeej
    Options
    I'm going to try this with barley instead of the quinoa, as I have a ton of barley on hand from when I was nursing! ;-) Sounds delicious, I'll let you know how it turns out with the switch-out!
  • chercee
    Options
    I'm going to try this with barley instead of the quinoa, as I have a ton of barley on hand from when I was nursing! ;-) Sounds delicious, I'll let you know how it turns out with the switch-out!

Great! I hope it turns out! I can't have barley (gluten) but I'm sure others on here will be interested to try it that way. I told a girlfriend that she could probably make it with rice, too (she doesn't like quinoa). Lots of possibilities!