Is it necessary to workout 6 days a week to loose weight

Options
Is it necessary to workout 6 days a week to loose weight? What do you think? How many days do you work out and what sort of routine do you have, that shows results

Replies

• andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The more you move the better. You don't have to go hard every day since muscles need time to recover. But with conditioning and good muscle recovery strategy, 6x/week is possible. Beware getting burnt out and derailing yourself though.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary to lose weight. A calorie deficit is.

That being said, you should still exercise.

ETA: Oops, I didn't answer the second part. I currently work out 3 days a week doing Stronglifts 5x5 and do some running on the off days.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Yup
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Yup

What they said
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not necessary to lose weight. A calorie deficit is.

That being said, you should still exercise.

^this
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit will make you lose weight.

Working out will help you maintain muscle mass, so the weight you lose is mostly fat.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The real question is can you hit your calorie goal 7 days a week? When it come to exercise, unless you are getting overuse injuries, it is doubtful that 6 days a week is too much. The average 30 minute workout is usually 300 or so calories. That's like one cookie a day for the days that you workout. Even if you workout 60 minutes a day, you are still getting 2 cookies.

Get the food under control, and then eat back some of your exercise calories.

I use the weight circuit 2 days a week; bike, skate or rollerblade one day, and run the other 3 for 1 to 2 hours.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 3 days per week and a little walking.

Exercise isn't required at all to lose weight, but it will make you healthier. All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Eat at a (healthy for you) deficit to lose weight. Lift weights to look good and preserve LBM.

I lift 3x per week with minimal cardio, maybe 10 minutes of HIIT 1-2x per week following lifting.
  • eagertoloseweight1
    Options
    I need to lose weight! What is a fast way? I need some motivation!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Based on the intensity of the exercise, the American College of Medicine recommends 150 to 250 minutes of exercise/moderate activity per week, or 1500 to 2500 calories expended in exercise.

You can do the math.

Other studies have suggested that exercising 5 days a week results in much greater success than 3 days a week. Part of that is due to the fact that most overweight beginners are not that fit and so they need to do a higher volume of exercise to help sustain a calorie deficit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I need to lose weight! What is a fast way? I need some motivation!

Instead of fast, focus on permanent. Eat at a moderate deficit. Get some exercise. Be patient.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • darrenkhalaf
    darrenkhalaf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    New research has shown that "between 150 and 250 minutes per week of average strength exercising is effective in avoiding excess body weight greater than 3% in most adults but will provide "only modest" losing excess weight.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes me feel good and want to look good. It promotes a health oriented mindset. I think that is more important than the number of calories you burn doing it.