EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of everything I thought I knew?

Options
http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

So, I'm curious to start a conversation on this article. It essentially states that intense cardio (like running) is actually DAMAGING to fat and weight loss. As a novice runner...trainer...cardio-warrior and weight loser, I'm trying to be super sensitive of doing the "right" things and not impeding my progress. (My basic fitness plan is calorie intake vs burned. Create a deficit and ta-da!)

So, do you guys think there might be any actual substance to this new message?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Hmm...interesting article. It's not going to stop me from running though.

I will add this, one of my husbands co-workers lost a lot of weight (around 100lbs) with portion control and running. Running was the only exercise she did. So although she's not toned she did lose weight and become thin.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    I am not going to look at it but as someone who does not like cardio at all i will still say it is probably bogus.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is the fourth time this article has been brought up in the past week or so. Not sure why it is suddenly gaining such attention. I wouldn't ditch any exercise plans based on this article. A lot of it is nonsense. IMO, there is a particular pathology associated with articles like this and the people who write. When you realize the prime purpose of this article is to pump the ego of the author, then it starts to make more sense.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you would have to do ridiculous, excessive amounts of cardio - which most of us don't have nearly enough time in the day to dedicate to - to actually do harm to your body - and pair it with inadequate nutrition, to boot. An hour or two 3 - 5 times a week is what I would wager most generally active people average, and that can only contribute to your health, not detract from it. Remember, cardio is not just for losing weight or burning calories, it helps your body in a myriad of other ways.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    When you realize the prime purpose of this article is to pump the ego of the author, then it starts to make more sense.

Exactly.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    First off....let me make sure that the yelling and ranting is not to you OP, its to this piece of garbage article

Im gonna go through this p.o.s. article piece by piece:
    -"Jessica's" are most likely a) intaking more calories than she is burning or b) her body is USED TO WHAT SHE IS DOING, and she needs to change it up or up her damn game. If its a disease...THEN ITS NOT RUNNINGS FAULT.

-SCIENCE WANTS YOU TO STOP RUNNING???!!! I get it if you are a bodybuilder like I am....I want to gain muscle and not use what I have to fuel my runs. But most womens goals are not what mine are. I am pretty friggin sure that we were MADE to move, and survive. We were made to do cardio, and our metabolism and how it uses energy via glycolysis show EXACTLY that. Its made to hunt, gather, be fit. HOWEVER, just as its says, its also made to store in emergencies....therefore, you need to change the damn game. Do hiits, running, strength training...do something different. If you run 3 miles a day, everyday, for 3 years...no **** you are going to stop losing weight and go backwards.

-NO YOU CUT THE **** ARTICLE! I would hope people know to eat cleaner. And that photo of the bumbum lady doing a deadlift is decieving. If women who are trying to lose some massive fat, and are not around 10lbs or less of their goal....lifting alone, or heavy lifting with minimal cardio is going to make you gain weight. I have seen this time and again when I train ladies. They want to lift, and I train them...and they don't lose, they gain. The trick is to do higher reps, at lower weights, 2-3x a week, and do cardio every day that you can. Once they focused on the cardio to shed the fat, they could up the weights. Oi.

Final note.....do your cardio if you have a lot of fat to lose. Lift if you dont. Rant over
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If women who are trying to lose some massive fat, and are not around 10lbs or less of their goal....lifting alone, or heavy lifting with minimal cardio is going to make you gain weight. I have seen this time and again when I train ladies. They want to lift, and I train them...and they don't lose, they gain. The trick is to do higher reps, at lower weights, 2-3x a week, and do cardio every day that you can. Once they focused on the cardio to shed the fat, they could up the weights. Oi.

Final note.....do your cardio if you have a lot of fat to lose. Lift if you dont. Rant over

Oh please. Pppppllleeenty of women on here have lost 50-150 lbs with heavy lifting and minimal cardio.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    -NO YOU CUT THE **** ARTICLE! I would hope people know to eat cleaner. And that photo of the bumbum lady doing a deadlift is decieving. If women who are trying to lose some massive fat, and are not around 10lbs or less of their goal....lifting alone, or heavy lifting with minimal cardio is going to make you gain weight. I have seen this time and again when I train ladies. They want to lift, and I train them...and they don't lose, they gain. The trick is to do higher reps, at lower weights, 2-3x a week, and do cardio every day that you can. Once they focused on the cardio to shed the fat, they could up the weights. Oi.

o.O

huh...what!? how??!? how does lifting make someone gain fat and not eating too much??
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

what a load of BS. I lost 2.6% body fat in 3 months with no other exercise other than lifting.
  • minivegrunner
    Options
    When you realize the prime purpose of this article is to pump the ego of the author, then it starts to make more sense.

Exactly.

lol.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: need a yawn smiley! Weights are good, running is too, together they're great.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Got to love those endorphins from running! Seriously, I mix up cardio and lifting and eating to my calorie plan, and have lost 58 pounds and feel great! My favorite is kettlebells which gives me both lifting and cardio (and gotta love the core work out!). I'm going to be 60 in a few months and have never felt better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This is like the fourth of fifth time this article has come up in the past couple of weeks. What I get out of it is that too many people, and women in particular, over do it on cardio and neglect resistance training...which I agree with. I think the title sucks and the author doesn't do a good job of explaining himself IMHO.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: need a yawn smiley! Weights are good, running is too, together they're great.

:love: :flowerforyou:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Garbage! Directed at the article, not the OP.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

So, I'm curious to start a conversation on this article. It essentially states that intense cardio (like running) is actually DAMAGING to fat and weight loss. As a novice runner...trainer...cardio-warrior and weight loser, I'm trying to be super sensitive of doing the "right" things and not impeding my progress. (My basic fitness plan is calorie intake vs burned. Create a deficit and ta-da!)

So, do you guys think there might be any actual substance to this new message?

HIIT Cardio WINS AGAIN! YAH!!! ***dances around room as worried onlookers quickly dial 911 to report the disruption***
  • downeyek
    downeyek Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good, I'm glad everybody seems to think along the same lines. I just couldn't wrap my head around this article. The writer seems to be educated and it's easy to mislead newbies in this land-o-life-changes. I've always been taught cardio for weight loss (because you can't "spot-shrink") and weight training for toning, endurance, muscle building...which will help you burn more calories while resting.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement that I'm on the right track and info like this is stupid-sauce. :smile:
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options

You pretty much lost any credibility you may have had with that.

/thread
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like to watch the Olympic events and have never seen a runner that was fat or unhealthy. It is a worldwide event and though I did not read the article, I stand by running as a very healthy sport
    edited to remove excessive use of word "event' lol- have a great weekend.
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Running hurts my knees, and my ankles.

Maybe I should have done more of it before I became so FAT.