Does my body really have 40% body fat?? PIC

Options
So Ive already lost 4% body fat in the past 7 weeks, APPPARENTLY I started at 44%. Im a little shocked. Ive seen people in the obese category with the same percentage. How OFF can fat calculators be? Or am I really just a squishy fatty woman. haha. (im guesing thats the answer and reality is a bi*#! )

heres the pic for reference.
Im 33
5'4"
150lbs
APPARENTLY 40% BF

thoughts?

e85c5105-dbc8-463d-939a-3043ecf198bd.jpg

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have guessed that hi. How was it measured? BF% can vary a lot depending on how it was done.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you're using a scale, those can be all over the place. If someone measured you with calipers, that's fairly accurate. Most people underestimate their BF%... I'd say you're over 30%, but by how much I'm not really sure...

Here's a good way to gauge where you're at:
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • Skatha89
    Skatha89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know i it's accurate or not, but my body looks similar to yours, but I'm an inch taller and 14lbs heavier and the same BF%
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd put you at 30 or less, personally.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    it was a scale with the handgrips. I was told it can pretty inacurate. Will see if the trainers can bring in calipers instead.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

35% ?
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    something close to it, the scales can be inaccurate but not by much I think..
    my bodyfat is 34%.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had a similar shocking experience having to confront my BF%...I wasn't huge but like you there was extra fat all over the body...You hold it well in your curves and once you start eating better and doing some exercise, it'll go down pretty quickly I'd bet. Congrats already on that 4% loss! It's gunna keep flying down I'd bet! x
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You need to find a place that does the BOD POD. You get in a little egg shape thingy and it calculateS your accurate BMI..
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would say so... but you're not going to reach 0% bodyfat.

Some women shoot for 20% body fat.

I think you said you weigh 150lbs?

Losing 20% bodyfat and putting you at 20% bodyfat you would weigh 120lbs which is reasonable.

This.
    So when you look at it like this you could say you're only actually ~ two stone away from being 20%

Plus 20-33% is a normal healthy range for women between 20-40.

You're looking good and seem to be on the right track. I'd say you're at 35% atm

Those bod pods are a waste of money unless you're an athlete needing to know an exact amount.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options

35% ?

this is great!! I guess that was just a harsh wake up call for me, Cant wait to see myself reach 20-24% BF.
  • vincen71
    vincen71 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 5'7 150 pounds and my body looks similar to yours - my trainer just measured my body fat last night with actual fat calipers and I'm at 40%, too!
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You look about 40% bodyfat in my opinion and comparing to my own bodyfat %
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The numbers don't matter. They are all going to be off to some degree so pick one formula and/or calculator and stick with it. Always use the same one.

The numbers themselves may not be correct but the difference will be. The number - 40% or 30% is not the important one The important one is that you've lost 4%.

In the end it will be the smile when you look in the mirror and the fit of your clothes that determines your success.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

35% ?

Is it me or does the 30% woman look slimmer than the 25% one? Maybe her bigger boobs skew the percentage lol.

I'd put you at 35% bf.

I'm 30% though at 5'6 and weighing 159. I think my shape is like the 30% woman, but my stomach isn't as flat.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sorry but yes that sounds right from my experience with my own scale. I was somewhat leaner and was still 34%. That said, you have an awesome shape!
  • PrimalSiren
    PrimalSiren Posts: 144
    Options

35% ?

Is it me or does the 30% woman look slimmer than the 25% one? Maybe her bigger boobs skew the percentage lol.

I'd put you at 35% bf.

I'm 30% though at 5'6 and weighing 159. I think my shape is like the 30% woman, but my stomach isn't as flat.

No she doesn't to me, however she has more of an hourglass figure, the other girl has more of a square figure which makes her look a bit bigger. Also the lighting on the heavier girl defines her stomach more because of the shadows.

I looked about the same as you at that bf % so I'd say it was accurate.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I believe it. I'm 20% on the nose according to hydrostatic testing.

If you've had your body fat taken with calipers, do it with multi-site testing and know it will be off by up to 5%
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Well if you know how body fat percentages relates to muscle....

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg

It doesn't tell the whole tale.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I would not have guessed that high but I suppose it is possible. Make sure you have a reputable assessment made. Also, please note that women carry more body fat than men. 10% BF for a man is considered "swimsuit ready" in most cases but it would be dangerously low for a woman.