How low is too low for daily carb intake?

Options
On days when not doing vigorous exercise, what sort of percentage of the daily carb goal is healthy? I realise this will differ from person to person but is there a rough percentage that everyone needs to hit each day to be healthy? Also, what are the healthiest carb sources? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Depends. How active a person is dictates in my opinion carb allotment. If someone sits on their *kitten* all day and is pretty much sedentary, then less is better. Remember that protein should be help fairly steady at anywhere from .7 to 1g/lb/lbm from sedentary to active to lifting weights.Fat can be adjusted according to how many carbs you feel is enough. Personally my carb ratio works out to about 25% of my daily calories and consume around 200-250 grams a day depending on what I'm doing. Keep in mind I like fat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical issue that requires a low carb diet? ...... anyway the healthiest carb sources are "whole / unprocessed foods"

whole grains

fruits

vegetables
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    I'm on the Paleo diet and my best source for carbs are vegetables and fruits. I really don't get much from anything else. And also, if you're wondering how much carbs you should be ingesting on a daily basis, then you should refer to your weight and levels of activity. It's good still keep a healthy amount of carbs despite your diet.

Good call!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine going lower than 80g per day, I think I'd kill someone, lol.

I set mine at the generic 40/40/20 and that seems to work just fine for me (40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fats). I'm pretty active and workout weight lifting 2-3/week and cardio 4/week. I eat that way regardless of my workouts, rest days too.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • drzira
    drzira Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    10 months on very low carb (<30 net / day) never caused me a single problem. I've partially fallen off the wagon for the past month or so but am now going back to it.

I haven't seen any compelling evidence that humans "need" a certain amount of carbs... especially in the form of starches or sugars.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Paleo diet and my best source for carbs are vegetables and fruits. I really don't get much from anything else. And also, if you're wondering how much carbs you should be ingesting on a daily basis, then you should refer to your weight and levels of activity. It's good still keep a healthy amount of carbs despite your diet.

Good call!

DITTO. I don't really eat a lot of starchy carbs, but can't get enough fruits and veggies :)))
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    On days when not doing vigorous exercise, what sort of percentage of the daily carb goal is healthy? I realise this will differ from person to person but is there a rough percentage that everyone needs to hit each day to be healthy? Also, what are the healthiest carb sources? Thanks in advance! :)

Don't just drop your carbs, try carb cycling and on the low carb days remember to bring your fat intake up so that you meet your caloric requirements for the day. I'd personally be asking the opposite question: How many carbs can I eat and still lose fat? The answer to that question is contingent on your metabolism, activity and lifestyle.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I usually hover around 30%. Mostly potatoes, rice and fruit.
  • Jessie_Michael
    Options
    Well, if you are taking the right food then you don't really have to worry about anything.

Have you every tried out paleo foods?

Paleo foods are the foods that the human body was meant to consume.

Eating a natural diet of meats, veggies, fruits and nuts can help alleviate many of the health issues facing the population today.

Obesity, type II Diabetes, and some cancers have been linked to the food choices we make daily.

Jessie
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    So long as you don't have a medical issue, you don't need to restrict carbs, nor do you need to concern yourself with eating a whole lot. Protein and fat are the most important to watch.