Depo Provera- What are your side affects? HELP!!!

Options
I am currently on depo provera, and have been trying to do some more research on depo provera because even while eating better I have gained 5-7 pounds just in the past month I have been on it. It has caused me to have my "monthly" here all month. AND yes i know i can go talk to a doctor, however she has been busy, and I like to know I am not the only one with this issue, I am considering to not get another dose next month, but for those of you who have stuck through it did you manage with your weight or did it increase gradually? I know on occasion I have my cheat days, but I haven't even had a soda, no fast food, mainly drink water etc. I've been exercising about 3 times a week by swimming for 2 hours each time, so any advice, suggestions, or sharing would be appreciated!!! I've only been on this one other time a few years ago and NEVER had any of these issues... trying to figure out how t stop this from continuing.....HELP!!! :ohwell: :noway:

Replies

• diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo for a long time. I did it for four years, then stopped a year, then went back on it again last year. The first couple months are irregular as far as your period goes, for me after the first two months it pretty much went away. Its super light if even noticeable at all. I have gained and lost weight while in those times. It all comes down to calories in calories out. When I was first on depo I was actually really small and in the best shape of my life in those months following. I remember because I clearly recall friends telling me not to get on it because it makes you fat. At the time I was aggressively seeking to get in my best shape and it made no impact negatively.

The hormones in any birth control can make you feel more hungry, but as long as you are tracking every bite/drink/snack etc you will be fine. Also keep in mind water weight etc. And make sure you excersize to help with the appetite. That's my two cents...
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    Be careful with being on the depoprovera shot for more than 2 years because it breaks down your bones. I was taken off of it because of that and the weight gain that I experienced from it.
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for a year now and yes it has made me gain weight but i dont completely blame it on the shot it was my fault too.when i first started i had a month long period but after that i dont have my periods no more i may have alittle bleeding towards the end when its time to get my shot.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    thank you ladis, and I'm not completely blaming it on the shot, BUT I have been good with my calories and exercise so to see that big of a difference in a month, I felt like someone hit me in the stomach seeing that. I am constantly feeling bloated too, so I am wondering if it could be mainly from the shot and being on my monthly for a whole freaking month and still going....not having fun with my weight flucuating
  • LosingitinWY
    LosingitinWY Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started Depo awhile ago......oh gosh, maybe 6 years or so. I only got the first shot because I did gain weight, long period, and....the worst part for me was the complete lack of interest in sex all together. I didn't hang in there for more than the first dose, so things might have leveled out; but, it wasn't worth it for me. Good luck! Finding the right BC can be so stressful.
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've been on Depo for almost a year. I only have side effects a few days after each shot - REALLY tired(like have six espressos and still ready to sleep for 12hrs kind of tired), sore arm at injection site, and my body holds a bit of water weight. Usually two or three pounds, but I do gain. By the end of the week it's gone.

I started losing weight ON Depo-Provera. I have lost over 50lbs while on it - and it amazes and disgusts my doctor how much I've lost in my six months of losing, while on Depo. I'm under the impression that I'm one of those medical mysteries.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Thank you!!! and yes it is stressful, i dont like taing pills because i forget them soooo looking into other methods!! lol
    I started Depo awhile ago......oh gosh, maybe 6 years or so. I only got the first shot because I did gain weight, long period, and....the worst part for me was the complete lack of interest in sex all together. I didn't hang in there for more than the first dose, so things might have leveled out; but, it wasn't worth it for me. Good luck! Finding the right BC can be so stressful.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    I hav been on it for 2 years at one time a few years ago, and i maintained my weight jst fine and barely had any side affects, but now it's a whole nother story- being tired is definately one of them!!! i feel like i cant ge enough sleep!!! but it just upsets me seeing my weight flucuate so much, and tryng to figure out why exactly, and why SOOO fast!!! not a happy camper!!! lol :noway:
    I've been on Depo for almost a year. I only have side effects a few days after each shot - REALLY tired(like have six espressos and still ready to sleep for 12hrs kind of tired), sore arm at injection site, and my body holds a bit of water weight. Usually two or three pounds, but I do gain. By the end of the week it's gone.

I started losing weight ON Depo-Provera. I have lost over 50lbs while on it - and it amazes and disgusts my doctor how much I've lost in my six months of losing, while on Depo. I'm under the impression that I'm one of those medical mysteries.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    I was on the shot years ago and I definitely did gain weight. I think I gained 10+ pounds in a couple of months. I only stayed on it for a few months though cause I had some type of reaction to it. It made my hands swell and itch and red and broke out in hives all over my body. Also after I got off it I was really a beotch for a little while. It was almost like I was withdrawing from it but that could have just been me.
  • LosingitinWY
    LosingitinWY Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! and yes it is stressful, i dont like taing pills because i forget them soooo looking into other methods!! lol

I don't remember the name of the implant I had after Depo; but, I was extremely happy with it. It was good for 3 years and it was a transdermal implant that went in on the inside of the upper arm. Went in easy. No side effects except diminished period (BONUS!) I had it taken out 3 years ago when I had a tubal.
  • lexiesmom78
    lexiesmom78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have nothing positive to say about the Depo shot I had a total of 3 shots. It almost killed me. It damaged my gallbladder which eventually died. Stomach lining shredded. I was so sick for such a long time. I lost alot of hair. It thin now. It caused serious hormone problems I threw up constantly but gained weight so fast my skin would rip to paper thin. I actually did my college research paper on the dangers of it. America will not publish the amount of bad reactions and deaths research it look for other countries publications.
  • missarielbaby
    missarielbaby Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had 2 shots of the Depo when I was 18 and I blew up like a blow fish. I gained 40 pounds in total (I'm sure some was from being hungry all the time too but i NEVER was that before those shots). When I decided to stop, within about 6 weeks I had lost 25 pounds and had to lose the rest on my own by dieting. I'll never get that again. I currently have the Implanon(looks like a matchstick and it ggoes in your arm and good for 2(or 3?) years), the only bad thing about it I really don't get periods-believe it or not I LIKE getting it, it assures me I'm not pregnant and I usually feel so much better after I have it... call me crazy! And Oh, my Sex Drive was GONE!!!!! I couldn't even if I wanted to, it hurt like hell- the hormones in the Depo just didn't agree with my body.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    depo doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for some, just like ALL meds. so no, it is not the devil. :-p

be sure that your dr is well versed in what to look for (side effects, etc). i suggest going to an actual gynecologist rather than a general practitioner.

if you stay on it for a long time you will have to get a bone scan every two years. it is just like a simple xray, easy stuff. drs will usually suggest taking a calcium supplement while on depo. if you do, be sure to take one that also has vitamin d. most people don't have a high enough level of vitamin d and taking these together helps your body actually absorb the nutrients.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    wow omg i'm so sorry that happened to you!!! yeah i'm noticing more and more side affects and it's not fun- I think the implant everyone is referring to is Merina? or close to that? i've heard mostly good things so far about that.
    Sorry I have nothing positive to say about the Depo shot I had a total of 3 shots. It almost killed me. It damaged my gallbladder which eventually died. Stomach lining shredded. I was so sick for such a long time. I lost alot of hair. It thin now. It caused serious hormone problems I threw up constantly but gained weight so fast my skin would rip to paper thin. I actually did my college research paper on the dangers of it. America will not publish the amount of bad reactions and deaths research it look for other countries publications.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Of course 1 size never fits all...lol...but I do have a gynecologist, but she is busy i don't even get to see her when i'm getting my birth control only the nurses and when i called in February to get a pap she wasn't even availble for that until July!!! so she's been busy but when i do see her i like her, i just have been trying to do my own research until i see her again
    depo doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for some, just like ALL meds. so no, it is not the devil. :-p

be sure that your dr is well versed in what to look for (side effects, etc). i suggest going to an actual gynecologist rather than a general practitioner.

if you stay on it for a long time you will have to get a bone scan every two years. it is just like a simple xray, easy stuff. drs will usually suggest taking a calcium supplement while on depo. if you do, be sure to take one that also has vitamin d. most people don't have a high enough level of vitamin d and taking these together helps your body actually absorb the nutrients.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    oh wow!!! when i was 16 i was on it for 2 years, had no "monthly", my emotions were fine, lost weight actually- but now i'm 22, so i understand bodies change but i feel like i'm on a roller coaster ride!!! LOL and not a fun one either, my weight is going up and down like crazy, and i'm trying to keep it under control and eat right, but i get scared looking at the scale.
    I had 2 shots of the Depo when I was 18 and I blew up like a blow fish. I gained 40 pounds in total (I'm sure some was from being hungry all the time too but i NEVER was that before those shots). When I decided to stop, within about 6 weeks I had lost 25 pounds and had to lose the rest on my own by dieting. I'll never get that again. I currently have the Implanon(looks like a matchstick and it ggoes in your arm and good for 2(or 3?) years), the only bad thing about it I really don't get periods-believe it or not I LIKE getting it, it assures me I'm not pregnant and I usually feel so much better after I have it... call me crazy! And Oh, my Sex Drive was GONE!!!!! I couldn't even if I wanted to, it hurt like hell- the hormones in the Depo just didn't agree with my body.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was on it in my when I was 20 and stayed on it for about 7 years. I didn't gain weight, but I had a lot of abnormal pap smears with it. I was told by one doctor it is only meant to be on for 3 years in your lifetime and no more than that.
    So I wouldn't recommend it. I do know someone else that was on it and it made her gain weight! Everyone is different though, I think it made me lose weight when I was on it.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    if you have a gynecologist, but you cannot speak to her that doesn't really count.

it is a decision to go on any medication and you should have a conversation, including any questions that you have with your doctor. if you are choosing to go on/switch medications without talking to your doctor then that is not a good idea. also not a good idea to substitute a frantic post on the internet for a conversation with a doctor.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I've been on depo for about a year now; in the beginning, my cycle was really irregular, but now it only comes about every 3 months (usually a week or two after I get my shot). I think I had a couple of 2-week periods between my first & second shots and then they started getting shorter and farther apart.

I also get pms-style cravings in the week after my shot, but everything evens out in the end. I've lost weight and gained weight on it, but it was never the shot that made me gain--it was my eating habits (see above pms cravings, lol). Before starting depo, I used to get cramps and really bad headaches the week before my period, but now they've completely stopped.

But be sure to take a calcium supplement while you're on it, as depo does make it harder for your body to absorb calcium & you'll need a little extra to compensate. If you get the chocolate ones, you get to have a little chocolate every day! :)

I've tried several types of birth control, and depo is by far my favorite, plus it doesn't drive up my bp like pills or nuvaring did (also super convenient!).
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm on Depo now, and have been for 9 years. I have gained and lost weight on depo, and I haven't really been consistent with the every 3 months thing (not doing anything means not having to worry....I know TMI). Haven't had any side effects, and I take a calcium supplement daily anyway :-)