Early morning workout... energy advice

Options
Hi all,

I've been going to the gym now since january, I try and go 6/7 times a week at 6:30am (8-9am on weekends). I have no problems waking up and getting down the gym but lately i find myself feeling lethargic and struggle to fulful my routine to the level I would like.

I've limited cardio before weights to just 5 minutes (warm up) i rotate between weight and cardio days... I follow the following routine:

Monday: Arms
Tuesday: Cardio (High Intensity: 30minutes)
Wednesday: Back Lats and Abs
Thursday: Cardio (as above)
Friday: Chest and Shoulders
Saturday: Legs and Abs
Sunday: Cardio or rest day.

I'm currently on about 2000 calories a day. I eat a 40/30/30 ratio of food. I eat about 10-20g sugar a day (only after workouts), 5-15g saturated fats... have a good multivitimin.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good energy food/drink/energy suppliment to take before a workout... I sometimes manage to eat but thats only if i'm up at 5:30 and that doesnt happen too often.

I have tried BSN No-Explode... I like that gives me loads of energy, but is quite pricey and my body doesnt handle caffeine too well. What do you guys and girls find works for you?

This only applys to those who go gym early, I can't go any other time during the day.

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    when i do my early morning 5k/10k runs, between 6-7 am, i eat half a medium banana beforehand. that seems to work for me.
    however i start work around 7am on week days so my body is relatively used to moving before 6am plus i have a 4yr old!!
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi there

I'm also a morning gym go-er, if I don't go in the morning first thing after waking up, I won't go at all! I'm up at 6:20 am and out of the door by 6:30 so I don't have time for a proper meal. However, I have found that eating a banana on the way gives me energy if I have been recently feeling lethargic. I usually don't eat at all, just on those days when my energy has really dipped. My journey to the gym is about 30 minutes and this seems to be enough time to eat and still feel okay to do intensive cardio (spin). Hope this helps and kudos to you for getting up at 5:30 am!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5:30 on weekdays and 8 on weekends. On weekdays, I don't eat before my workout but those are usually smaller workouts ( 40 - 45 minutes) On weekends, I kick my butt and do about 2 1/2 hours which involves over an hour of weights and the rest is cardio. On those days I usually have some cereal before my workout. I take a Clif Builder bar ( 20g of protein) to eat midway through my workout and then come home and have a fruit smoothie with whey protein in it.

I mix my exercise up a bit by paddling on a dragon boat team, swimming and taking my dogs for long walks too.

I don't usually need anything to pump me up and get me going at the gym. I have great tunes on my ipod and I love the high from exercising.

Perhaps you need to take a couple of days off to give your body a rest and then it will be keen to get back on it.
  • adunkin22
    adunkin22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hey! i also get up early and go to the gym. i eat a luna bar every morning. i know they're made for women, but they're made by the same company that makes clif bars. Clif bars are actually really delicious. you should try a clif bar. my luna bar keeps me energized for my entire workout (:
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    what about one of those yogurt drinks, you can just grab it and go
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, I will try an energy bar/banana see how I get on. :)