Stopped exercise and weight loss starts?

Options
A lot of people (me included) tend to get into set routines and stick with them. It is when something in our life changes that we notice small changes.

Up until 3 weeks ago I was going to the gym every evening and would burn between 700 and 1,000 extra calories a session. Since I hit my goal weight in May my weight has never budged more than half a pound either way.

For the last 3 weeks I have been insanely busy working 13 to 15 hour days so I’ve had no time for the gym. I would have thought my weight would start increasing through lack of exercise and sitting on my butt all day but strangely the opposite is happening. In the last 3 weeks I’ve lost a further 3lb and my body fat has gone from 17.8 to 15.1 which is an all time low for me.

I’m still eating the same but now I’m not exercising for some reason the weight and body fat is coming off fairly quickly. It may not be much but when you’re already at your goal weight the loss should be tiny and it should take a lot longer to budge as your body fights hard to keep what’s left.

So…I’m confused. All through my weight loss it was the gym sessions which really kicked the loss into gear but now it only stabilizes it and if I stop going to the gym I start losing weight at a pretty quick pace for my build. This makes no sense at all to me :indifferent:

Replies

• TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous....just sayin....LOL
  • casacolours
    Options
    You may not be losing fat, rather muscle mass. The same thing happened to me recently when I got sick, then after a month I started to put weight back on when I went back to the gym!
    You may also not have been eating as much as you normally would when you exercise. It can be a number of different factors. You would need to go back to your normal exercise routine to see if this puts back on the weight you lost while not exercising... interesting experiment!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Could it be added stress from your job ? I'm one of those who's body reacts by melting down during stressfull periods.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    A lot of people (me included) tend to get into set routines and stick with them. It is when something in our life changes that we notice small changes.

Up until 3 weeks ago I was going to the gym every evening and would burn between 700 and 1,000 extra calories a session. Since I hit my goal weight in May my weight has never budged more than half a pound either way.

For the last 3 weeks I have been insanely busy working 13 to 15 hour days so I’ve had no time for the gym. I would have thought my weight would start increasing through lack of exercise and sitting on my butt all day but strangely the opposite is happening. In the last 3 weeks I’ve lost a further 3lb and my body fat has gone from 17.8 to 15.1 which is an all time low for me.

I’m still eating the same but now I’m not exercising for some reason the weight and body fat is coming off fairly quickly. It may not be much but when you’re already at your goal weight the loss should be tiny and it should take a lot longer to budge as your body fights hard to keep what’s left.

So…I’m confused. All through my weight loss it was the gym sessions which really kicked the loss into gear but now it only stabilizes it and if I stop going to the gym I start losing weight at a pretty quick pace for my build. This makes no sense at all to me :indifferent:

The continued weight loss will happen like that but only for a while afterwards, then it stops and then, unless you really watch your intake, the weight can gradually creep on again. The other thing that happens when you stop exercise is that your muscle tone drops bit by bit.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Yup it must be muscle loss and not fat loss.

It is amazing how quickly you start losing it :ohwell:

After this week I'll hopefully be able to start up again so let's hope I can stop the loss :wink:
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I'm the same way though. I worked out all the time and never lost weight... dieting and exercising consistantly. I stopped working out and I just watch what I eat, and the weight falls off... Still losing...

Whatever works! :)
  • xxxlimitxxx
    Options
    same here. I hardly work out, just like 1-2times a week with the occasional weight lifting...and just watching what I eat, I dropped 17lbs...but it could change b/c I just started out not long ago, so I may hit a plateau...but what you are going through is common...so I wouldn't worry about it :)