Looking for women's heavy lifting program for beginners

Options
Querian
Querian Posts: 419 Member
Hey everyone,

I am not new to lifting but I am flabby and out of shape. For the past few months I have been doing an at home body-weight strength program (3x per week) which has been great but I am getting more and more convinced that I need to increase my strength training. I am looking for something simple and not too long (maybe 30 minutes max 3x per week). I prefer circuit style training. I do have access to a gym here in my apartment building so I have most equipment available although I do prefer free weights to machines.. Are there any online programs you have tried and love? I do cardio daily by either riding a bike (both stationary and actual) or using the elliptical. I also try to get 10,000 steps a day on the Fitbit so I'm not really looking for more cardio, just lifting suggestions.

Thank you!
Nikki :smile:

Replies

• leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5! It´s a workout A+B you switch between. It´s about 30 min x 3 times a week. It´s free weights and it´s great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU workout B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw workout A

There is also a group here, stronglifts 5x5 for women, it has a summary of the free e-book, wich is a LOT of - mostly unnecessary- reading.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Strong Lifts. It's a good program.

There's lots of info here as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks, some people posted on my feed suggesting the same thing. I watched the first video today and downloaded the app. I also checked out my gym to see if I had the equipment which isn't quite right but I could make some adaptations i think to make it work.

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    u can do stronglifts but u should drop the weights so u dont get bulky like instead of 75 lb do 15 lb never do more than 15 lb on arms becs u dont want u're arms to get bulky but u can do up to 25 lb on squats/leg press and u can do squats in a smith machine ONLY to avoid ur shoulders getting bulky hth :flowerforyou: xoxoxoxo
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    u can do stronglifts but u should drop the weights so u dont get bulky like instead of 75 lb do 15 lb never do more than 15 lb on arms becs u dont want u're arms to get bulky but u can do up to 25 lb on squats/leg press and u can do squats in a smith machine ONLY to avoid ur shoulders getting bulky hth :flowerforyou: xoxoxoxo

WTF?! :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    o.O

This should be fun...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    51257d19b3465a3946ce9ac4e0c989ce_zpsee892027.jpg
  • healthyfitjenn
    healthyfitjenn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I Like the New Rules of Lifting for Women, personally - but I heard good things about Stronglifts, too!
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just started reading New Rules of lifting as well and like it. Check out Alwyn Cosgrove on youtube.
  • Cairine63
    Cairine63 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing reading (and putting into practice) New Rules of Lifting - Supercharged... but I would say the workouts take a little longer than the 30 minutes you would like.
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    51257d19b3465a3946ce9ac4e0c989ce_zpsee892027.jpg

Lol this.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts !!