Help!!! I need to stop eating when I am over at my moms

Options
I drop off my daughter at my moms house before I go to college and work. When I return to pick up my daughter at around 12:00 pm, I stay for a bit to talk to my mom or sisters and brothers that live with her. The problem I have is that after college and work, I am starving by the time I pick up my daughter and so I tend to eat some of my moms food that she has in the fridge or food she had just cooked (she cooks at like 11:00 am-lunch). My mom cooks Mexican food and so I tend to give in because it is so good and smells great.

Does anybody have any advice at what I can do so I wont eat at her house or to stop looking at her fridge???

Replies

• Emmadivens
    Options
    Take something to school/work with you that you can eat on your way there, low in calorie of course, so by the time you get there, you will not be hungry.
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Since i have quite a busy schedule, I pack all my lunches for the day. That is one of the reason why, like many, prefer to plan ahead (MFP Diary) either the night before or sunday afternoon and cook for the whole week.

I keep it all in an icebox in the car. Like that, I don't have any excuses to eat out.

And to keep me sane from doing this, I allow myself a cheat meal every sunday night.

Good luck!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key. I'm betting you generally find the same sorts of things in your mom's fridge. Calculate calorie counts and serving sizes for commonly encountered items and plan ahead how much you can eat of various possibilities. Where you find choices, eat (or eat more) of the items that give you the most real nutrition for the calorie count - decision tree might suggest picking the things that have larger serving sizes for a given amount of calories, so it feels like you're getting more. Other factors could be the time it takes to eat something (slower is generally better), macro balance (most perfect if the food item is close to your preferred macro ratio - I like to have no more than 50% carb with fat and protein more or less evenly split, but you can certainly divide them at a different ratio, according to what works best for you) Starting off with some raw veg, salad or fruit can help control your appetite (try consuming your snack 15-20 minutes before you'll get to the loaded fridge, so you brain has time to register some satiety - I find things that take longer to eat with more chew time make me feel more satisfied.Try eating salsa with a spoon instead of a chip.
  • l4dyh3x
    l4dyh3x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above in packing your lunches ahead of time and eating something before you get there. However, if you really must eat your mothers food get a small plate out (perhaps the size of one you would put a cup on) and put a smaller portion on it. Then you can rummage the fridge for veggies to make up for eating a smaller portion.
  • TehNoms
    TehNoms Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I always keep some trail mix or granola in my purse so that if I am out and about and end up somewhere with limited choices, I will eat that, and in turn I will eat less wherever I am going.