Lifting or Running? I Don't Know What to Do!

Options
I'm fighting a battle in my head. I really, really do NOT like running. I'm sorry, but I don't! But I committed to this 5K in May, and I don't want to stop training for it, because I feel like a quitter...

I really, really want to start lifting again. I LOVE lifting! But I can't lift AND do the C25K program - I just don't have enough time and energy.

PLUS!!! If I lift, then I need to let the scale go, because I know that lifting is going to mess with my weight, even though I'll be getting smaller....

ACK!!! GAAAHHH!! I don't know what to do! Do i ditch the running and walk the 5K in May? Then ditch the scale and go by body fat % and clothing size so I can lift without freaking out about my weight???

Someone help me!!! lol

Replies

• SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I think you're over-thinking this whole thing. May isn't that far away, so finish training and run the 5k. Then you can resume lifting knowing you accomplished what you set out to do.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    how far are you into the C25K.....Can you lift 2-3x a week and run 2-3x a week till the race?

I say don't worry about the scale..
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Do both... I run Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, and lift Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Rest on Fridays.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think you're over-thinking this whole thing. May isn't that far away, so finish training and run the 5k. Then you can resume lifting knowing you accomplished what you set out to do.

I agree completely :) You can do this!!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    May is just around the corner.

I'm not going to make your decision for you. You have to know how you would feel about backing out of your 5K commitment.

The weights aren't going anywhere and you can always lift after the 5K. Or you could lift a couple times a week right now doing some squats and deadlifts and whatever to lay the ground work for going back to lifting in earnest after your 5K is over. The first few weeks of lifting should be on the lighter side anyway, to help you focus on form and help get your body used to it.

There's lots of people who run and lift, and you can make both work, especially if you're realistic about not winning a prize at the race but just aim to finish it. You can just "run" it in a light jog/speed walk. Most 5K recreational type races will let you do that because not everyone who signs up is a bona fide runner (I know I'm not and never will be).
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    5 k isn't so far! You can do it! And, if you don't really enjoy running, now you know better than to commit to another run. LOL

I run three times a week and lift one. Mostly because right now I have an 5 k coming up May 5 and a 10 k on May 26. But, the difference is, I LOVE running! But, I also love heavy lifting. Over the Winter I focused on my lifting, and since March I have been concentrating on my running. I am going to have to switch my focus when I need to.

Just get through the run, since you've committed, and then focus on the lifting after. No big deal. Just pick up where you left off.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why is this a Hobson's choice?
  • Deb_le_Kess
    Deb_le_Kess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you going to the gym when you lift? Can't you do the c25k on the treadmill with an incline? I know its not quite the same as outside, but you could do your running then some weights while you are at the gym, surely you have enough time for that? Or park up at the gym then run from there and run back for your weights. I don't really understand why it has to be one or the other, plus I believe its really best to have weights and cardio in your life.