You didn't ask.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Brutal! You doing the shred??
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have tiny little T-Rex arms. I tried a few sets of OHP yesterday with a wimpy 30# and my arms about fell off.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Yea. Don't expect it to be your heaviest lift.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am doing StrongLifts, and OHP's are the bane of my existence. :grumble: :explode:
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Brutal! You doing the shred??

Nope Stronglifts 5x5

Awesome yet humbling
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Start as low as you need to and slowly work your way up. OHPs are a really great way to show you how weak your upper body muscles really are.

It's a great lift, though, so don't quit on it. Just take it easy. I love me some OHP (and I'm probably the odd duck out there). I just made a decision to really take it slow, got me some fractionals to increase by a pound or two each week, and it'll take however long it'll take. Going to enjoy the journey so I don't start hating any of these lifts and end up quitting.

P.S. Don't let Mehdi's progress sheet boss you around. Go as slow as you need to. Progress is still progress.
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    I am doing StrongLifts, and OHP's are the bane of my existence. :grumble: :explode:

Started with the bar and got to the 5th set 4th rep and stalled lol
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I've almost passed out finishing before.
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    I have tiny little T-Rex arms. I tried a few sets of OHP yesterday with a wimpy 30# and my arms about fell off.

Embrace the trex! You don't have to push the weight as far as us ape limbed people.

OHP is a brutal lift and one of the slowest to progress for me, but it does get better! I started at 35 for 8 reps and now I'm at 60 for 8 reps.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Because we love it when you join our club. There is a whole thread on the evil genius that is OHP in the group "Girls who lift and guys who spot them." I can't think of a single person who doesn't sweat their OHP.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

that is great!!!!

i had to use the ez curl bar at first because the 45 pound was too heavy!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My gym has preweighted bars from 20 up to 110, so I use those for OHP. I always warm up with lower weights and that helps me.

Maybe you can try a dumb bell press at a lower weight to warm up until you get the hang of things and are more comfortable with the barbell.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

ditto. It's my weakest lift.
  • bonitacash08
    Options

I may be slightly dramatic when I say this but I don't see how I could ever lift more than that damn bar lol
  • quirkyone1
    Options

I may be slightly dramatic when I say this but I don't see how I could ever lift more than that damn bar lol

Before you know it you'll be tossing the 45 over your head like its nothing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

You will. Just take your time! I got to about 65 on OHP before I had to take a long hiatus from lifting for health reasons. Just starting back and I can't even do the bar anymore!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    How hard the overhead press is!?

I almost died trying to finish

LOl so true ! I tried doing 1 the other day with dumbells and had to go back to my super light ones. lol. they suck just as much as mountain climbers and burpees.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options

That's impressive! LOL, OHP is my hardest lift too. I can't even do the Oly bar yet. Welcome to the club!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

:angry: As a T-Rex, I am heavily offended.