Only 27g sugar aday, is this affordable?

Options
Hi.. I'm new here, I'm trying to log all my food so I stay on track. but I'm little bit confused about the amount of sugar suggested for my diet.
How can I only take 27g of sugar a day while every food has sugar?! I do not add any sugar to my food, it just sugar from food itself!!!
Has anyone faced this ? can any one help?

:)

Replies

• DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this the other day with a friend of mine! I had a grapefruit with breakfast the other morning, and my sugar was already in the red for the day. I think it's just important to make sure that the majority of your sugars are coming from the right things, like fruit. Don't freak out if you go a little bit over though!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't your main enemy unless you are diabetic. I don' have an accurate number but I personally try to stay under 50g. I normally eat about 2600-3000 calories a day and my sugar intake today was probably less than 30g, probably less than 20g. No idea.

It's just about finding foods and recipes that don't have sugar if you're that worried about it. Up your protein and dietary fats and you're halfway there.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How can I only take 27g of sugar a day while every food has sugar?!

Protein - meat, fish, eggs and high fat dairy don't... nuts have a small amount of carbs counteracted by fiber.
    Green veg & cauliflower etc have such a small amount of carbs and tiny sugar so eat more veg and less fruit!
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar in foods like fruit! Be more concerned about the sugar in things like dressing, spaghetti sauce, etc.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar.

but you tracked me down!!!

suga suga how you get so fly
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Well, unless you have blood sugar problems, the amount of sugar you get naturally in nourishing food is just fine. The problems come from sugary foods, cakes, pies, doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, etc. which add calories with little benefit. Diabetics know that they must control total carbs and even natural sugar, such as that in fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The sugar recommendation is based on the AHA's recommendation for ADDED sugar, not naturally occurring sugars in fruits and veg. I avoid high fructose corn syrup and keep added sugars to a minimum...but I eat lots of fruit.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar.

...smooth.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar.

...smooth.

I know. I can't seem to get rid of him...
  • Mextica
    Mextica Posts: 2
    Options
    I NEVER count grams of sugar. I just avoid all refined and processed sugar and eat all the fruit I want.
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How did you determine that macro-nutrient target?
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar, because even a glass of milk has 12 grams....it's too hard to keep track of whether or not I have a "healthy" amount. I just try to stay away from white sugars.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Seems this topic comes up every day or two (I brought it up myself when I started not quite a week ago). The WHO recommends 40 g of sugar per day for the average person. If you only get sugar in its natural form in the foods themselves, you should be fine. You can either up it to 40 or 50 or whatever you want (by manually adjusting your goals) or ignore it. If you choose to ignore it, you could go to your settings and track something else, like fiber. If you're eating enough of that (and MFP told me 16 g, which is less than half what I normally consume, so I adjusted it too), and you don't eat refined sugar except on rare occasions, you'll be just fine. :)
  • HudaSaman
    HudaSaman Posts: 46
    Options
    How did you determine that macro-nutrient target?

Myfitnesspal food diary track
  • HudaSaman
    HudaSaman Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks all for you replies.. You are amazing :)
    As I said I already avoid refined and processed sugar, these sugars are natural.. so it seems that I am on the safe side.. :)
  • AylaishlyBecca
    Options
    yeah I was wondering that the other day...I had some mango and ba'am I was over the daily recommended sugar intake....
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    27 grams is the equivalent to over 6 teaspoons of sugar. I get what you mean though. I'm high on sugar too and eat really healthy most of the time. It's the fruit that puts me up there. So, I looked up sugar and the diet. It said not to worry about natural sugars like the one found in fruit, UNLESS you're a diabetic.

So, I look at my day. If my sugar is high, because I had 2 pieces of fruit I don't worry. If it's high, because I ate some junky food with sugar in it I reevaluate that food.
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar.

Woah, haven't heard the song quoted, ever...

Girl you keep it so fly with yo sweet honey buns ;)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying. Avoid added sugars. Normally I'm only having around 30-40g of sugar a day thats not from a natural source. If anyone keep an eye on your fiber intake and make sure your getting enough of that over sugar/sodium.