Easy breakfast ideas

Options
Looking for some easy ideas of what to make for breakfast - obviously something filling and healthy!

I would want something I could make up the night before....when I have to leave the house in the morning I just never get around to making any food. Even if it is super fast...honestly it just has to be something I can literally just pick up in the morning and take with me.

Any suggestions welcome!

Replies

• mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you feel about hard boiled eggs, but I keep them in the fridge all the time and they are my breakfast staple during the week. I peel 2 at night before bed, put them in a ziploc container and then grab them on my way out the door in the morning. Also, granola bars or Fiber one bars aren't bad. Yogurt and bananas are also a pretty regular thing for me in the mornings.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you feel about hard boiled eggs, but I keep them in the fridge all the time and they are my breakfast staple during the week. I peel 2 at night before bed, put them in a ziploc container and then grab them on my way out the door in the morning. Also, granola bars or Fiber one bars aren't bad. Yogurt and bananas are also a pretty regular thing for me in the mornings.

Great ideas! I love hard boiled eggs and that would definitely work! Love yogurt and bananas too. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    To elaborate on the egg idea, I make crustless quiches and store them in the frig for grab and go in the morning. Take a muffin tin, break an egg into each cup, add cheese, minced meats, chopped veggies, whatever you like then bake them for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I put 2 in each plastic container for easy breakfast. I like them cold but you could heat them up.
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How about an egg white/veggie breakfast burrito? You could cook all the veggies and scramble the eggs the night before then just take out a tortilla in the morning, spoon everything in & add some salsa or avocado.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I also make crustless quiche that I eat almost every day--haven't gotten tired of it in over 2 years. ( I REALLY hate cooking in the morning.) Use any quiche recipe and any added ingredients (meat, veggies, cheese) that you like. It keeps for a week, just heat and eat, or have it cold, if you like.
  • vickymessmann
    vickymessmann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use several things for a quick and easy breakfast. I use the generic form of Slim Fast. There is a 12 grain bread I love to toast (1 slice), along with an egg is a great way to start your day. I haven't made these in along time but you can get a whole grain muffin, add an egg and canadian or turkey bacon for a quick breakfast sandwich. And Bob Harper is always promoting oatmeal. Instant oatmeal would be a fast healthy breakfast and even better with a little fruit.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I second the breakfast burrito idea, or maybe some oatmeal? I like to do half a cup of oatmeal, half a cup of yogurt, and half a cup of water in the fridge at night and then put it in the microwave for like 45 seconds in the morning.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    To elaborate on the egg idea, I make crustless quiches and store them in the frig for grab and go in the morning. Take a muffin tin, break an egg into each cup, add cheese, minced meats, chopped veggies, whatever you like then bake them for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I put 2 in each plastic container for easy breakfast. I like them cold but you could heat them up.

Ooo great idea! I really like this. I will try making some this weekend. :)
  • recipe4success
    Options
    How about an egg white/veggie breakfast burrito? You could cook all the veggies and scramble the eggs the night before then just take out a tortilla in the morning, spoon everything in & add some salsa or avocado.

That sounds good too...i love avocado :)
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I also make crustless quiche that I eat almost every day--haven't gotten tired of it in over 2 years. ( I REALLY hate cooking in the morning.) Use any quiche recipe and any added ingredients (meat, veggies, cheese) that you like. It keeps for a week, just heat and eat, or have it cold, if you like.

That is good to know that this doesn't get tiring. Maybe a quiche will become my breakfast staple!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I use several things for a quick and easy breakfast. I use the generic form of Slim Fast. There is a 12 grain bread I love to toast (1 slice), along with an egg is a great way to start your day. I haven't made these in along time but you can get a whole grain muffin, add an egg and canadian or turkey bacon for a quick breakfast sandwich. And Bob Harper is always promoting oatmeal. Instant oatmeal would be a fast healthy breakfast and even better with a little fruit.

Oatmeal is something i love....i just don't have the few minutes in the morning to make it. Sounds silly I know!

Thanks for the reply.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I second the breakfast burrito idea, or maybe some oatmeal? I like to do half a cup of oatmeal, half a cup of yogurt, and half a cup of water in the fridge at night and then put it in the microwave for like 45 seconds in the morning.

I tend to like oatmeal cooked on the stove though...but maybe will give this a try :) Thank you :)
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    I have eggs. Lots and lots of eggs.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    A few of my favourites:

- Greek yoghurt, sliced banana and honey. Make it up the night before, keep in the fridge and it's all ready there waiting for you in the morning.

- Cold porridge/oatmeal - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup greek yoghurt, 1/3 cup milk, tablepoon chia seeds - mix together, put in the fridge overnight and again, ready first thing in the morning. You could add fruit, honey etc to the mix as well, either the night before or just before you eat. I tend to put frozen berries in the mix the night before and they're all defrosted by the morning, with the juices running into the porridge. Yummy. Can eat it cold, or warm it up - I prefer cold tbh. IF you really don't like cold porridge and really don't have time/can't be bothered to heat anything up, I believe you can make oatmeal in a slow cooker if you have one. Pop everything in the night before, set the slowcooker on and when you wake up - bam, instant warm breakfast. There's a recipe for apple + cinnamon oatmeal here, and I'm sure you could alter the recipe to include any fruits/flavourings you'd like: http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal

- As others have said, hard-boiled eggs. 2 eggs and a banana is around 300cals and a nice amount of protein.

- Banana + peanut butter sandwich. I tend to make it very quickly - 1 slice of bread, a small dollop of PB (don't even spread it, just dollop it on), take the banana out of the peel and fold the bread around the banana. No knives needed, no spreading or slicing, no faffing at all.

Additionally, there's no rule that says you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. If you have leftovers from last night's dinner you could always reheat those, or eat them cold.
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

- Banana + peanut butter sandwich. I tend to make it very quickly - 1 slice of bread, a small dollop of PB (don't even spread it, just dollop it on), take the banana out of the peel and fold the bread around the banana. No knives needed, no spreading or slicing, no faffing at all.

I used to have something similar to this as an afternoon snack. I would take a Trader Joe's flatbread, put a Tbsp of peanut butter down the center, and wrap it around a peeled banana. YUM!

~Chelle
  • chellenbub
    Options
    This sounds good
  • chellenbub
    Options
    This sounds good
  • djclarkmom
    djclarkmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat OatFit cinnamon roll or maple brown sugar flavored instant oatmeal most days. ( http://www.betteroats.com/product/oat-fit-cinnamon-roll/ or http://www.betteroats.com/product/oat-fit-maple-brown-sugar/ ) with 1/2 cup of raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries. I boil one cup of water in a small electirc hot pot. at my desk. It takes about 1 minute. Dump two packs of oatmeal in a bowl, add the fruit, add the water, stir, let sit a few minutes. Hot breakfast, about 250 calories, and good for you.

Happy Breakfast
  • recipe4success
    Options
    i tried making mini crustless quiches and loved it!! so easy to make and tasty. they just disappeared really fast because i wasn't the only one eating them lol :)

thanks again for all the great suggestions
  • recipe4success
    Options
    A few of my favourites:

- Greek yoghurt, sliced banana and honey. Make it up the night before, keep in the fridge and it's all ready there waiting for you in the morning.

- Cold porridge/oatmeal - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup greek yoghurt, 1/3 cup milk, tablepoon chia seeds - mix together, put in the fridge overnight and again, ready first thing in the morning. You could add fruit, honey etc to the mix as well, either the night before or just before you eat. I tend to put frozen berries in the mix the night before and they're all defrosted by the morning, with the juices running into the porridge. Yummy. Can eat it cold, or warm it up - I prefer cold tbh. IF you really don't like cold porridge and really don't have time/can't be bothered to heat anything up, I believe you can make oatmeal in a slow cooker if you have one. Pop everything in the night before, set the slowcooker on and when you wake up - bam, instant warm breakfast. There's a recipe for apple + cinnamon oatmeal here, and I'm sure you could alter the recipe to include any fruits/flavourings you'd like: http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal

- As others have said, hard-boiled eggs. 2 eggs and a banana is around 300cals and a nice amount of protein.

Additionally, there's no rule that says you have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. If you have leftovers from last night's dinner you could always reheat those, or eat them cold.

great ideas! i have been meaning to try chia seeds but didn't really know what to do with them. when you say 1/2 cup oatmeal, is that the dry oats?