Picky eater DESPERATELY needs help and veggie ideas!

Options
I am a 28 year old woman who hates most vegetables, and I am ashamed of myself for it.

I've been doing good with my diet so far, down 8 pounds in less then three weeks. I started on a 1200 calorie diet, realized it was not optimal, and am currently on around 1500 calories. I work out at the gym 3 - 4 times a week and when I'm not at the gym I do 30DS at home. I've worked hard to increase my physical health so far. However, logging my foods has made me painfully aware that my eating habits HAVE TO CHANGE.

Vegetables I will eat with no problem are potatoes, peas, corn, broccoli, and carrots. Anything else though... nope. And it's not even that I've tried them, I just have this huge mental block that says "NOPE, not gonna like that". Partially it's a texture thing, which I've started to learn I can overcome. For example, I tried some iceberg lettuce the other day. Didn't like the soggier part that had wilted a bit... liked the crunchier bit enough to thing that if I had it in a salad with dressing and other fixings, I might enjoy it. Tried cucumber too, found it rather bland but it might go good in some sort of meal as a 'crunch' factor. The problem, however, is that I don't know where to begin in my quest to eat REAL food. This is not just a diet for me, it's a lifestyle change. I don't just want to do this, I NEED to. I still have this silly mental block/fear, but I have to try.

So, I need help. I want to try vegetables, and I intend to try any new food three times prepared three different ways; steamed, roasted, raw or whatever. But as a woman who has never had many vegetables I find myself clueless as to where I should start. So my question is this...

What are YOUR favourite ways to prepare vegetables? I prefer to keep it simple for now, perhaps camouflaged a bit with other foods I may enjoy more. But I am open to suggestions!

Thank you for your advice and suggestions! I know I can do this, I just have to really try... and I have to mean it!

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    smart you, understanding early how imporant this is. wish I'd been like this when I was 28!

Looks like you have a lot to experiment with. I'm thinking since you like flavor and you like crunchy that you might like red bell peppers. they're really tasty raw, roasted, pretty much you name it.

Soups and stews are a great way to get veggies if you're not a veggie eater. They're so disguised that way! Look up a recipe for a vegetable-loaded chicken tortilla soup (I leave out the tortillas, use corn instead, and carrots, red peppers, canned tomato, onion....well, kind of you name it. It can be pureed to disguise the veggies and make it creamy. Do you like peanut butter? Look up the weight watchers Senegalese peanut stew.

an mfp pal told me about cauliflower rice...you ricecauliflower pieces it in a food processor if you have one, steam it for 8 minutes and use it in place of rice under some chinese stir fry (another great way to get veggies) or under the peanut stew.

but just play and have fun and experiment with whatever you see around the store. If you have ethnic supermarkets in your area, it's so fun to go to them and try vegetables you've never even seen before.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have a preference for crispy things with relatively strong flavors. You might want to try cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts (if you cook them, be careful not to over cook). You also might prefer vegetables in other forms - kim chee, sauerkraut, pickles (dill pickles are relatively high salt, but low calorie and come in various variations of flavor - like with garlic, as well as dill), parsnips are a lot like carrots (I'm not fond of either). I'm not sure if olives count as fruits or vegetables, but lots of different flavors there. Tomatoes, even when made into a sauce, count as a vegetable/fruit (or V-8 is an option, though high in sodium). Celery is crunchy, but bland, unless you doctor it with hummus, peanut butter, salsa or ???? Fried onions (no batter) are wonderful.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the soggy lettuce, try romaine. It's way more crunchy. Try using cucumbers instead of lettuce in a sandwich. I have sauteed cabbage, apple, and onion together with some salt and pepper for a tasty vegetable treat. Broccoli is good. Peas and corn count as a starch, not a vegetable. Same with potatoes. When I get a sandwich at subway I have them put grated carrot and cucumber on it. Little changes making a big difference.
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Just as the previous posting partner told you...I second the soups and stews...

My son has texture issues...so I know what you are battling...
    keep it up...it's so worth it. (I've known folks that had to make the choice you are making...to eat things because they are good for them despite texture issues...) You can do it!
    ;D
    You can puree tons of veggies and make your broth that way...add in some meat if you like ...or tofu and such if not......
    you can buy those books about how to prepare veggies for kids...where you can "hide veggies" in stuff....and guess what...
    you can "hide them" for yourself too...

If you like chili...great way to make it is by using pureed tomatoes, salsa, beans...as your base...then add in some spices and ground meat (or tofu crumbles etc...)...just delicious...

use avocado instead of other sandwich spread...
    my husband...who hates many veggies - likes spaghetti squash...seriously - as a replacement for spaghetti noodles...never thought that would happen...

Best of luck to you
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you like smoothies you can add spinach and you cant taste it..Im very picky too!! I add some spinach to soups and I dont really taste that either.
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you are looking to change your lifestyle!

my favorite is roasted asparagus... cut the bottoms off, drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and then roast at 400 for 25 minutes. It makes it crunchy and awesome!
  • mals30
    mals30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with roasting veggies (any and all of them!) on a sheet drizzled with some olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc. I love roasting brussel sprouts and making a balsamic reduction...just reduce some balsamic vinegar in a small pot over medium heat until syrupy, add a touch of honey, and drizzle over the roasted brussel sprouts/ veggies. Top with some goat cheese and you have an amazing veggie dish!
  • TamEG
    TamEG Posts: 1
    Options
    Try them in a Thai green curry! With chicken or prawns or whatever. If you make it yourself, you can fin greate pastes in any supermarket Asian section, you don't need to use as much coconut cream and it can be really light without the calories, but still big on taste..

Also, Vietnamese do amazing fresh salads which pack enormous taste without that veggie downer. They use lots of chillies and mint and lime juice.. My favorite is a green papaya salad. Amazing
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Try squash.
    Butternut is good. Cut in half, peel it, remove seeds, cut it up into 1-inch chunks, boil in water for about 20 minutes (until you can stick a fork in it easily). Then just mash it up a bit. You can have it plain with margarine or add a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. You can freeze an extra.

Also acorn squash is good. To cook acorn squash, bake it halved and seeded, cut side down on a cookie sheet or pan, at 350
    degrees for 30 minutes. Turn the squash over and brush it with melted
    margarine/butter and top with brown sugar (or honey or maple syrup). Bake an additional 15 minutes, until tender.

Also, we really enjoy the Costco frozen stir fry veggies. I just fill up a cereal bowl with them, with a spoonful of water and a spoon file of margarine. Cover with wrap, poke in a few holes and microwave for 5 minutes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Try them in a Thai green curry! With chicken or prawns or whatever. If you make it yourself, you can fin greate pastes in any supermarket Asian section, you don't need to use as much coconut cream and it can be really light without the calories, but still big on taste..

Also, Vietnamese do amazing fresh salads which pack enormous taste without that veggie downer. They use lots of chillies and mint and lime juice.. My favorite is a green papaya salad. Amazing

this.

asian food does AMAZING things with veggies.

also i wouldnt feel too bad about not liking many vegetables. most times we eat things when they are out of season wo they don;t taste their best. for instance i love strawberries and blueberries, but i recently had some out of season strawberries and if that would have been my first taste of that fruit i would definitely put it in my dont like pile
  • fairfatandfabulous
    fairfatandfabulous Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try minestrone soup it is great.
    Or 2nd fav is zuchinini muffins great for lunch not too high in calories
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    All TERRIFIC ideas!

***Take a look at the recipes you can find at Vegetarian Times website...they have great ideas! I made some roasted carrot soup from one of their recipes that was awesome!

*****Another idea for you is to find a local Vegetarian or Vegan restaurant and go try their foods....I always get great ideas when I am seeing what other people/chefs do....seed encrusted striped beet steaks...or flavored hummus.

****Another idea is for you to learn how to cook and enjoy different kinds of beans....don't forget beans are veggies too :)
    I personally love fresh cowpea shoots...but you get those when you grow them yourself. Learning to grow veggies kind of makes them more interesting too I think. Growing herbs is pretty easy...that might be a good first step.
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas, I love them all! I'm excited to try and change my taste palate!
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage. It's crunchy and surprisingly spicy!

You might want to go to a salad bar at a place like Whole Foods and try veggies there. That way you don't spend a bunch of money on something you don't like. You can just buy a bite of everything.

Veggies are an acquired taste. Even kids have to try them over and over until they like them.

Please recognize that what you buy from a grocery store tastes very different than what comes out of a garden. I refuse to eat tomatoes, cucumbers or beans that are store bought. I think they taste awful. But the ones I grow myself, I don't even want to share they are that good!
  • rahanck1
    rahanck1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Check out the foodie site by the "Thug Kitchen." I was shocked how yummy the black bean wrap is. I also laughed out loud reading the site. The language used by "The Thug" can be intolerable to some folks, but I needed someone like "the thug" to get me to eat more veggies. I hope you check it out and I hope it doesn't offend you! http://thugkitchen.com
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you are looking to change your lifestyle!

my favorite is roasted asparagus... cut the bottoms off, drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and then roast at 400 for 25 minutes. It makes it crunchy and awesome!

So good! Sometimes I squeeze a little lemon juice on top, or put a little bit of parmesan cheese.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My suggestions would be:

1. Put spinach on sandwiches, in smoothies, and wilt into pasta dishes
    2. I prefer most vegetables roasted rather than steamed. Parmesan cheese goes well with almost all roasted veggies, so sprinkle a little on top after you roast them. My favorites to do this way are zucchini, summer squash, green beans, asparagus and broccoli.
    3. Most green vegetables taste good with lemon. I make a lemon butter - melt a little butter in a pan, add lemon juice and salt and pour over top of vegetables. You can also include toasted almonds, pine nuts, etc.
    4. Add bacon!!

I have the opposite problem from you, though - I LOVE most vegetables but don't really like that many fruits! However, I used to think I "hated" almost all veggies too just because I'd never had them. You may be pleasantly surprised!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Try arugula, served raw. It has a wonderful taste of black pepper, it's a green leaf vegetable.

Also consider sauteed spinach with some garlic and crushed red pepper (if that's your thing.)
  • rahanck1
    rahanck1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thought I should also add a couple easy recipes....

Roasted Red Peppers
    Slice the red peppers in half lengthwise.
    Take out the stem, seeds and white membrane from the peppers.
    Sprinkle salt and pepper (or Crazy Jane's Salt Mix) on the inside of the peppers.
    Rub, drizzle or brush olive oil on both sides of the peppers.
    Place the peppers on an oiled (or use cooking spray) cookie sheet, with the inside of the peppers facing down.
    Bake in a 350 - 375 degree oven.
    Around 25 minutes later, you'll need to watch them to determine when they are ready. They are ready when the outside skin starts to blister.
    Remove them from the oven and IMMEDIATELY place them in a brown paper bag.
    When they have cooled off, the skin should slide right off.
    I usually cut the peppers into thin strips, add 1 smashed/diced garlic clove, diced parley leaves for color, olive oil, and optional...a squeeze of lemon juice. If you think the garlic was a little too much, add honey...but only if the peppers are too garlicky for your taste. I then serve this on toasted bread...with more olive oil.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    her is a great brussle sprout recipe:

1 lb container
    wash'em, cut'em in half
    toss in a bowl with olive oil (2 tbsp) and balsamic vinegar (4 tbsp)
    lay out on a cookie sheet with cut side uo, drizzle with any remaining liquid from the bowl
    sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and salt (sea salt if you have it)
    bake for 15 minutes at 375, then broil for about 5 minutes until you see the edges turn crispy (keep an eye on them so they don't burn)

they are yummy hot, and even good cold (but the do lose the crispy in the fridge)

Good luck to you and way to go for trying to make some positive changes!