How many calories burned at work!?

Options
Ok guys new to this forum but just curious about how many calories people burn when they at work/at their jobs?

for example I work as a dishwasher(unfortunately) at a buffet. Let me tell you it's not your average dishwashing that you see in other places or like in that movie scarface.

we work as a team but i'm a catcher. I re-stock, I organize spoons and forks ,and the way we load plates onto the racks is insane
20 plates fit and we slide em' in easily. and it's a big buffet here. like i am talkin bout moving fast nonstop for 8 hours except for our 30 min. and ten break.
last time i checked i burned around 900 calories maybe even more?!! :0

tell me about your experience and how many calories you burn?

Replies

• littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    Mine differs day to day. I work in a busy pharmacy, but depends on what job you are doing for the day. I wear a pedometer to track how many calories I have burned and how many steps or miles I have walked. Some days, I can get anywhere to over 200 to 300+ calories burned in an 8-9 hour period with an 30 minute lunch.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have my profile set to Active. MFP has my "Calories burned from normal daily activity", so basically my TDEE, at 2,473, but my BodyMedia is regularly adjusting that up to around 3,300+ on days I work (3 days/week).

I work in a liquor store, so a lot of lifting cases, moving them from the warehouse in the back to the front in order to stock, wandering around the store fixing bottles, etc. I'm also typically breaking 13,000 steps on those days. I should add this is without any additional exercise.

It's amazing what active jobs can do, isn't it?
  • kanvas92
    kanvas92 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have my profile set to Active. MFP has my "Calories burned from normal daily activity", so basically my TDEE, at 2,473, but my BodyMedia is regularly adjusting that up to around 3,300+ on days I work (3 days/week).

I work in a liquor store, so a lot of lifting cases, moving them from the warehouse in the back to the front in order to stock, wandering around the store fixing bottles, etc. I'm also typically breaking 13,000 steps on those days. I should add this is without any additional exercise.

It's amazing what active jobs can do, isn't it?
    \

yes it is. I have another question so im i'm running for 30 min every other day and plus working those 8 sometimes even 12 hr shifts .imagine the calories i'm burning? how many calories would i then need to consume so i don't lose muscle ??
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have always been told if its part of something you do every day don't count it as you already figure that in when you say ok well my lifestyle is sedentary or what ever .... If your body is used to you walking around a store stocking shelves then that really does not count as exercise however if your job is generally a desk job but today you walk the store for 4 hours then that would be considered exercise as its over and beyond what your normally do
  • kalea_kane
    Options
    I have always been told if its part of something you do every day don't count it as you already figure that in when you say ok well my lifestyle is sedentary or what ever .... If your body is used to you walking around a store stocking shelves then that really does not count as exercise however if your job is generally a desk job but today you walk the store for 4 hours then that would be considered exercise as its over and beyond what your normally do

That's a really good point. I didn't even think about that. It makes perfect sense. Thanks. I love how I learn something on other people's threads.
  • bregalad5
    Options

That's a really good point. I didn't even think about that. It makes perfect sense. Thanks. I love how I learn something on other people's threads.

Then I'd never be counting anything, honestly. My body would be used to me working 3 days/week, running 3-4 days/week, and going to the gym 3-4 days/week.

Think about it this way: how would you even determine how many calories to eat if you don't know how many calories you're burning on a daily basis?

Since going by my TDEE and upping my calories I have been losing weight at a crazy rate. Many here go by the TDEE minus 20% calorie goal.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR GOAL SET AT!!

If you have it set at active, the calories you burn are already estimated in.

My job also varies on a daily basis, so I went with "Sedentary" which factors in no exercise every day. I got a pedomoter and add in the calories burned walking each day as exercise. **BUT I don't have the heavy lifting you have.**

According to these websites.....
    http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=11&ti=Occupation&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68 238 an hour
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080831120455AA1h9MJ 150 an hour( someones guess)
    http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/calories-burned-working 1300 a day or so
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-standing.php about 250-300 an hour
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-standing-light-moderate-a298 200-250 an hour

That is a guess of course because none of them have your exact job. The best way to know would be to buy a Heart rate monitor like the http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/10 (Body Mediafit) which links directly to MFP, and to change your goad to sedentary. Hope that helps.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

this may be true for people who have less active jobs, but there is no way someone is going to stock shelves all day and not burn a ton of calories. I would absolutely count that as exercise. Now, walking form the car to the office and back to the car and then to the grocery store and then cooking dinner and doing laundry... I think that's what they mean by everyday activities that don't really count as exercise.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    My account is set at Active. I get a crazy work out at my job. I'm a cake decorator/server because my work is a bakery/restaurant. I am running around from start to finish decorating cakes, carrying heavy things, bringing people food, and cleaning. I get no breaks at all during an 8 hour shift so according to MFP I burn 1089 calories on average. Of course I don't count this into my diary, but say I get stuck doing a 10-11 hour shift one day, I am going to count those extra hours.
    You would think I would gain weight from eating cookies here and there, but I'm still losing weight because I am non stop all day!
  • bregalad5
    Options

this may be true for people who have less active jobs, but there is no way someone is going to stock shelves all day and not burn a ton of calories. I would absolutely count that as exercise. Now, walking form the car to the office and back to the car and then to the grocery store and then cooking dinner and doing laundry... I think that's what they mean by everyday activities that don't really count as exercise.

Yeah, I think where we got our wires crossed is counting a job as exercise vs figuring it into your daily calorie burn. I do NOT count my job as exercise. Sure, it's hard work, and I'm burning a ridiculous amount of calories, but I'm not going to my exercise diary and having it spit out Bregalad5 burned 1,549,208 calories doing 480 minutes of "work". No. It's factored into my daily calorie burn, both from having my profile set to active, as well as my BodyMedia, which is tracking my total overall daily calorie burn, adjusting my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure - how many calories you burn throughout the entire day) to account for any additional calories I burned that were not calculated by MFP's "Active" setting.

The only exercise I log is my walks to the gym, my swims, my runs, and any at-home videos I do.