Emotional eating?

Options
Hi All! I'm wondering what you all do when you're an emotional eater and are having an emotional time in your life? I have a hard time with it. If I'm upset, the first place I go is the cupboard. Any suggestions to stop this behavior? Thanks!

Replies

• pussykat90042
    pussykat90042 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    When I am having an emotional time I find that working out helps a lot. I dont know if you like to dance, but I love it. So when I'm getting emotional I'll go to the gym and take a zumba class. Its easier than taking a kickboxing class and the music is so good that I don't even know I'm burning so many calories just having fun. If I'm emotional I find that it's because I'm really tired so I might take a power nap before I go to the gym and that helps too. Also, i don't keep any junk food in the house because I tend to reach for the snacks when I'm bored. Instead I stock stuff like fruit and nuts so I reach for those if I still think I need a snack- that's at least better than cookies or cake. Although i can't say that I didnt scoop out a huge fingerfull of cake frosting from the fridge the other day... hey I'm only human. that's why I'm going to work out today. lol.

Hope this helps.
    monica
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym instead
  • Moonbeem11
    Moonbeem11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna do it anyway, eat. But make sure to log everything, and plan for it - say "I'm going to eat because I'm emotional but I'm going to eat this". Keep some healthy treats. Some yogurt and a piece of dark chocolate. Or cook up a storm of healthy gourmet like food and save some for lunch the next day. Don't keep really bad foods in the house and you won't grab them. Then plan what else you want to do. Rent a movie, clean, dance, listen to music, talk with friends!
  • kalea_kane
    Options
    I am a VERY emotional eater as well as a boredom eater. Because the emotions often hit when I am alone at home, as soon as I am feeling overwhelmed and headed for that cupboard, I instead write in my journal. Writing out what I am going through is a big help. I also keep atomic fireballs on hand they are little cinnamon jawbreakers. They are 30 calories each. If i feel the need to indulge after writing in my journal, I will pop one in my mouth. No crunching it. The cinnamon spice in my mouth kind of stuns me out of any other need to eat and the jawbreaker lasts a good 20 minutes or so which should finally get you over the hump.
  • I noticed a trend in my life. I am an emotional eater. I've been thru so many losses of family thru the years that I just packed on the pounds. July 2 2011 I decided I was done wearing size 18 and just stopped everything bad I was doing. I was embarrassed to go in a gym so I started my workouts at home. After a few months I joined a gym. By Dec 2011 I was wearing a size 6 dress. I started a motivational page on Facebook to help motivate myself and others. I learned the science of eating right and working out. Yet again I proved to myself that I'm an emotional eater is that after a couple upsets in my life recently I have put on 20 pounds and I refuse to add anymore. I wasn't eating bad....just eating to much of my approved foods. To much of anything is bad. So join me If you like. Here is my fb page if you would like to see some motivational pics and updates :)

https://www.facebook.com/RhondasFitnessTransformation
  • missabby1
    Options
    I to have had losses of family my daughter was killed 7 years ago and i have gained 40 pounds I can;t eat enough to bring her back but I think I am trying to I have a lot of health problems because of my weight need all the help I can get
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Exercise instead. Go for a walk. Clean something. Go watch TV. Write. Draw. Paint. Take a bath. Pretty much anything you can think of that is distracting or comforting will work. :)
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    But what if you don't have time to exersize? I eat when I'm emotional, stressed or tired. I'm currently in the toughest time of my life and barely have time to exersize 2 times a week. I find it SO hard to not overeat.

Edited to add: When I come home it's usually already 22:30pm and I am dead-tired. I'm usually fine all day but just before bed I will eat the whole tub of Ben&Jerry's or the whole bar of chocolate and subsequently be up all night because of the sugar rush. :grumble:
  • Nolangela
    Options
    Thanks Monica,
    I'm not a fan of working out and prefer to do fun types of exercise too. I like skating or swimming. Thanks for the suggestions! I do keep treats in the house because my little guys like them, but have had a good 3 days :)
  • Nolangela
    Options
    WOW Rhonda! I will check out your page. That was a HUGE transformation in a short amount of time! Be proud girl! Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions :)