Reducing thigh muscle mass?

Options
13»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, your body is the result of genetics, diet, and the external stresses you put on it.

If you want smaller thighs, stop doing so much leg work and eat at a deficit. Even then though, your genetics might still tell you to go f*** yourself.

The other option would be to come to terms with the fact that while you might not love your body just the way it is (and all that everybody is beautiful disney bullsh*t), it is built in such a way to accomodate the types of things you love doing.

I'm a guy, so I don't have a lot of the societal pressures women do, and I still have a lot of work to do getting stronger and healthier, but the second it clicked for me that I would never be skinny because I liked playing rugby and football and wrestling and being strong in the gym and actually enjoying the meals I ate, I started feeling much better about myself.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I'm looking at your other photo. It's still a little hard to tell, but they look fine. What are your measurements?

@Joy_Joy_ My measurements are 27" waist, 32" hips, 37" butt, and 23.5" thighs (around the largest part)

I love your measurements! I am 45yrs old. 5' 1" tall and 127lbs. my measurements are anywhere from 27" to 30" at my belly button, 38" hips and 24" thighs and the only thing I'd like to change is my waist. I'd like to see it stay closer to 27" all the time, and I'd like to have more visible definition on my legs.

I also have a hard time finding jeans that fit right. I haven't yet, but I'm still considering ordering my jeans "made to fit" there are several places on line for that.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I think you look absolutely phenomenal.

Unfortunately muscle atrophy is pretty hard to accomplish, and if you're getting there by malnourishment it won't be targeted to your thighs alone.

Edited to clarify: I'm not implying that you would choose malnourishment but the only two ways I know of to reduce muscle mass are to under-eat to the extent that you lose both body fat and lean body mass, or to simply cease using those muscle groups altogether and allow lack of utilization to gradually erode the muscles.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Yea you look really good, I see no problem and have nothing to add on to previous posters except:

Are you really 19?

Single?

:flowerforyou:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Your thighs are fantastic. Don't hate them.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's the curse of the equestrian. Do you, by any chance, ride Hunter Jumper? All that posting and two-point...! I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've learned to love mine. They give the appearance of curves where Mother Nature did not give me any. :grumble: I guess you could do more bareback work or ride from your core a bit more. I know I've ridden proper dressage when my abs are sore the next day.

I do ride hunter! It bugs me how I can be so curvy muscular wise yet there are other riders who are twigs! The curse of the equestrian is right, thanks for the tips!

In for more bareback work.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Your thighs don't look big. I think you should learn to love yourself.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your body is beautiful. I'm not sure how you could reduce the size of your legs without also risking sacrificing the hard work you've put into the rest of you. If they bother you, play up the other parts of you. You are in such great shape that you will have no issues drawing attention to whichever part of you that you choose to play up. I understand the annoyance with clothing though. I have to buy to fit my waist and then everyone accuses me of buying my clothing too big because the legs are baggy. It's annoying, but I think many people have a zone that they consider a little out of proportion. Just genetics.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Your legs look fantastic - I want mine to look like that.

But I understand what you're saying about jeans, as I've always had the same issue (even when I was tiny and underweight). Please KNOW that this is a problem with the jeans, and NOT a problem with YOU. I live in Montreal (a very fashion-conscious city) - it's damn near impossible to find jeans that are not 'this week's trendy cut'. If your body type doesn't fit the current 'trend', you're pretty much SOL. It requires a lot more shopping around. A lot. Also, you many be used to shopping in 'teen' clothing stores, where the jeans will be cut differently from 'women's' clothing stores. Try the latter - it helps (and no - it doesn't mean you have to buy 'mom jeans', ahhah!)

Good luck - I hope you can start to see that your legs are beautiful.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Another teenage girl with self esteem issues. smh

OP - seriously, you look incredible and anyone that says differently is full of ****. Girls with muscle mass age better, embrace that young and you'll be in that bikini for many years to come.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    Umm, you have a fantastic body, thighs and all. But, if you are unhappy with your body, I would like to offer up a trade. You take mine, and I will gladly take yours :wink:
  • rvaug031
    rvaug031 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yea you look really good, I see no problem and have nothing to add on to previous posters except:

Are you really 19?

Single?

:flowerforyou:

Daww thank you for the flattery :D as it happens I do have a wonderful boyfriend!
  • rvaug031
    Options
    Girls with muscle mass age better, embrace that young and you'll be in that bikini for many years to come.

Really? I didn't know that! Thanks for the help :)
  • rvaug031
    Options
    I'm a guy, so I don't have a lot of the societal pressures women do, and I still have a lot of work to do getting stronger and healthier, but the second it clicked for me that I would never be skinny because I liked playing rugby and football and wrestling and being strong in the gym and actually enjoying the meals I ate, I started feeling much better about myself.

I definitely need to work on accepting my body, because I know my muscle mass will never actually diminish. I think what I was hoping for was a way to exercise so that in the long run it would promote leaner leg muscle as opposed to bulkier.

- and with that said all the other comments have given me some great ideas for horseback riding and running! I am NEVER one to stop exercising and barely eat just so my muscle mass goes down. That isn't reasonable!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you stop working the legs, you won't reduce the muscle there. Just enjoy them. Women with flabby thighs are jealous of muscles like yours.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

@Joy_Joy_ My measurements are 27" waist, 32" hips, 37" butt, and 23.5" thighs (around the largest part)

Exact same measurements here! Those thighs serve us so well in our riding! :happy: I also tend to think I have HUGE thighs but I have learned that my body image is somewhat distorted too, everybody I know says they look great and are nowhere near being huge... As long as they are strong and firm why hate? I have a few brands of jeans I need to avoid because of them, but its really only a few, I don't think anyone can fit into all brands... At least H/J breeches stretch, western chaps are sometimes another story...:laugh: Good luck!

ETA: just checked out your profile, I'm graduating next month with a degree in Biology. Yay for horseback riding biologists lol
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife always had very very strong legs. Attractive and strong.
    She would do a hip sled workout regularly, in addition to heavy cardio, etc.....
    Her knees "went" and the hip sled is too painful.

Odd thing is, her legs look dynamite now, really awesome.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I think you have killer legs.

I have naturally "big" thighs too (even my mom does and she's a twig everywhere else), and I'm hoping that when I get down to goal weight (or beyond, here's hoping!) my legs go back to looking like yours!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    be happy with your nice legs.

/thread
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    just have your pants altered?