juicing, cheating, and 7 pound gain in one week?!?!?!

Options
So last week I was terribly sick, and for the first time in a year, I didn't work out for an entire week. I layed in bed and I couldn't eat solid food so I ate a ton of yogurt and applesauce then I tried juicing and drank mostly veggie/fruit juice for one week. I had way more carbs than normal because that's all I was craving. I tried not to count calories but I stepped on a scale at one point and I was 2.5 pounds down. This weekend I could eat solid food again and I had several cheat meals.
Monday I started working out again (crossfit) and eating super clean and since monday I have been HUGE. I've been steadily gaining and I'm up seven pounds! It seems like I am waking up bigger every day! NONE of my pants fit! I haven't been this big in ages!!!
I am freaking out. How do I know if this is real weight gain? What did I do wrong? Any tips for de-bloating? I feel like a whale!!!

Replies

• laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well, I can only give you advice from my past experience. I have gotten the stomach flu before and lost ten pounds in 4 days (I wasn't very overweight either). I was only drinking gatorade and ate literally no food because I was so sick. After I was able to eat again, I gained back those 10 I lost plus a few more. I think it was just my body trying to get used to food again. Eventually I went back to losing. Yours may be partially water weight, as your body starts to rehydrate itself and gets back to lifting weights again. Best thing for bloating is to drink more water, maybe try to get in a bit of straight cardio (some people recommend against it but I find it helps me). But as long as you are eating clean, at a deficit, and exercising I'm sure you will start losing again soon. Good luck!
  • mjgo56
    mjgo56 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say because it sounds like you have been logging your food intake. I just know that juices have a lot of natural sugar and I have read it is better to eat the fruit whole for the fiber content, to help with digestion and elimination. Also, don't eat or drink your fruits with your meals. Eat/drink fruit 20-30 minutes prior to eating, OR 1-2 hours after eating, Vegetables and veg juice does not have the same rule. You can have that with any meal at any time. Did you check out your other values? Protein, carbs? For the bloating I would suggest drinking brewed green tea. If you need to sweeten, use Stevia or honey...not any of the other sweeteners. Also, try not to eat the extra calories they bank for you when you exercise, at least to see if the weight comes off. I don't know your age, but I am also wondering if you might be pregnant? Sometimes the weight comes on quickly in the 1st trimester.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's not rocket science... You didn't eat while you were sick. Now that you're eating right again, your body is holding on to whatever food its getting, because it has been starving for a week. It's not fat you're gaining, it's water. Don't worry about it, keep doing what you're doing, it will come off again :)
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    probably glycogen, water retention and just a rebound from your body being deprived.
  • Woly1
    Woly1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks guys that's a little reassuring it's been a week now and it still hasn't come off I think I actually consumed more calories overall when sick (although liquid) so I'm a little worried but I'm just going to stick to eating clean and hope for the best :/