Which ones better , strength training or cardio??

Options
I understand one needs some cardio n I just started strength training and lost a couple pounds so I'm wondering if I should add more strength then cardio into my workouts? How do u guys proportion these two out for the best results?

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    half and half or so. as for which is better, it's not that simple. the one thats better is the one you're not doing...

Unless you have very specific training goals, any template should have a combination of the 2 for optimal results.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You need both! Although for a long long time I only did cardio and was still in great shape. Strength training is a major plus. Have a day for each of the body areas i.e. Upper, lower, and core, starting with about 15 min of cardio and then lifting, and then have a day just for cardio if you want. I dunno. Everyone finds a routine that works for them. The only "rule" I guess is to never strength train the same body area two days in a row.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    People that do cardio are in shape but generally do not build much muscle after the fat loss and have a *soft* look about them as they haven't built any muscle. This is where people that want to *tone* up. Basically they want to build some muscle and have that athletic look and be less soft.

Do both weights and cardio.

http://fortiusfitness.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/skinny-fat.jpg

Eating properly is key though!

Koing
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you are not sure about programming a routine, then you should probably use an existing routine that has a proven track record and allows you to add in your own cardio on non-lifting days. I'll trot out all the usual suspects: Starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New rules of lifting, All Pro's SBR.

And, btw, there is no "better", they both perform different functions and can't really be compared on a like-for-like basis.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    Do both?

Cardio after Strength training or on days off?
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    People that do cardio are in shape but generally do not build much muscle after the fat loss and have a *soft* look about them as they haven't built any muscle. This is where people that want to *tone* up. Basically they want to build some muscle and have that athletic look and be less soft.

Koing
    thts wat I was thinking I want to tone as I'm losing. I'm doing the shred so perhaps I'll add more weight this week
  • jeenyus43
    jeenyus43 Posts: 14
    Options

Koing

Listen to this guy!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    both
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What does your weekly workout routine look like?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?

you eventually will have to do both but for example I did no cardio for 3 months and only did weight training. my goal was to gain muscle and not lose any weight. now that i have been adding on muscle i know add in some cardio but not as much as i did prior to weight training. it all depends on your goals.