Losing hair.

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
In the last six months or so, I've found when I was or brush my hair I loose a lot...I'm an ex hairdresser so I do know when it's quite a bit to lose...I'm wondering if its my diet? I eat fairly well and exercise. I am wondering if its because I may be approaching early menopause?

I just wondered if anyone else has had this?

Replies

• timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see the replies to this, because I've been experiencing the same thing the last couple weeks--even running my hand through my hair, I lose 3-5 strands every time!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    For guys it's usually just something like an increase in testosterone.. for me personally I've noticed when I cut too many fats out of my diet my scalp/hair isn't as nice. You could be mineral deficient, not hydrated... don't wash your hair too much. You can do what a lot of Asians do and use oils and let them sit on your scalp like olive oil, egg, but I use coconut oil.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just checked your diary - your fats are set really low. Try upping them.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't know your macros. But a friend of mine had this and she saw a great improvement with upping or protein.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I just checked your diary - your fats are set really low. Try upping them.

Thanks Sara..I'll make sure I do that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i lose more hair when i am not eating as much fruit and veg. also, my hair and nails grow really quick now which i put down to plenty of protein and good fats. (nuts & seeds)
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I second that on the fat. Fat is good for us as long as its the good kind. Try to incorporate things like avocados, nuts, coconut oil, etc. in your diet. All foods that are high in good fats.
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am early menopausal. :sad: I have been fighting the loss and thinning of my hair for a long time now. I have tried changing shampoos, changing brushes, my diet, etc. What has worked for me are keeping some fat in my diet, not extremely low I changed my multi vitamin to a prenatal vitamin (this has helped with other issues as well) and supplementing with biotin. I still lose some hair, but I don't fill the drain every day like I used to!

Good luck!
  • powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whenever you drop below 1500 calories a day its hard to get all the nutrients you need daily. Not having certain nutrients can cause this. If it keeps happening you should go to your doctor to get blood tests since it also could be your thyroid or something else.
  • nicolemadigan
    Options
    Hi,

I have just seen this post and wanted to share my experiences. About 12-18 months ago I noticed that I was losing a lot of hair. Mainly when I washed and brushed my hair. The turning point for me was when I felt something running down my back in the shower only to be horrified it was a clump of hair. My hair was very week and although not falling out at the root the hair loss was due to breakage.

I tried several things to try and help me taking sea kelp, increasing my iron intake through food, zinc tablets and trying numerous different hair care products. After about 6 weeks I had not seen any major improvement so I went to the doctors and he referred me to a NHS dermatologist.

After some blood tests I was told that although my iron count was not at a point to say I was anaemic I was pretty close to the number. According to my demonologist an iron count is between 10-290. Anything below 10 you are classed as anaemic. I was 14. I was given ferrous sulphate tablets which did make a difference. Although it did not stop my hair falling out completely my hair felt stronger and the hair loss was reduced slightly. I was also recommended to take over the counter Zinc tablets. I was diagnosed with a very mild form of alopecia and very mild form of female paten baldness. I would like to point out that I have no bald patches just thinning of the hair.

After 6 months on the iron tablets my hair was still thinning so I was prescribed Spironolactone 100mg tablets. These tablets are not designed for hair loss but a side effect of the tablets is meant to help. I can honestly say I noticed a massive improvement after 6 weeks of taking them.

My hair looks and feels better and is now no longer falling out at the rate it was. I am still on the iron tablets and zinc tablets and ensure I eat a diet that is full of fruit and veg. I can’t stay on these tablets for the long term but getting the issue looked at has highlighted a problem I never even considered.

I know how it feels when you see loads of hair in your brush or in the sink, so if it’s something you are really concerned it’s worth getting your iron levels checked out buy your doctor and also eating a healthy diet.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of hair when I went veggie, and although I think you're quite good on your protein intake, keep an eye on iron and those healthy oils.

Bear in mind humans partially moult every year in spring and autumn, so this time of year I always fill the bath plughole. You may find you're back to normal in summer!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am a hairstylist and I've had a few people go on low fat diets and their hair starts to get super thinned out and really dry. Try eating an avocado or even a spoonful of peanut butter to help with the fat part. Also take Biotin, Its a vitamin found next to b12 and I swear its hair crack
  • thecapillary
    Options
    Diet can play a factor in hair loss (ie, not eating enough), but hugely influential are hormones. If you're able to get some blood work done as changes in testosterone, estrogen, , and thyroid hormones can leave a big impact (this is not necessarily age dependent).

Other diseases like a gluten allergy or lupus (just a couple examples) can cause hair loss as well, especially during an active or stressful phase. Although, hopefully you haven't been diagnosed with anything or have anything underlying!
  • HollyWalle
    HollyWalle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In the last six months or so, I've found when I was or brush my hair I loose a lot...I'm an ex hairdresser so I do know when it's quite a bit to lose...I'm wondering if its my diet? I eat fairly well and exercise. I am wondering if because I may be approaching early menopause?

I just wondered if anyone else has had this?

I had a very similar situation, when I spoke to my doctor she told me tthat hair works in six month cycles. And often the most common reason for hair loss is caused from stress.. Think back to what happened approx. Six months ago. Maybe a stressful time in your life?
    For me I assumed it was a major death in my family that caused me stress to loose my hair, it eventually stopped and all came back.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    im sheading like an ag-ed pony. I think I have menopause too.

WeirdAlYankovichsongPics1XVHmdizf91ZhrM.jpg
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Stress is a major cause of hair thinning - my hair has thickend up a load since I quit my stressful job -and also stopped commuting. Pollution is also a factor (not a lot of help if you live in a city, I know!)

As others have said, good diet is essential.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. There are a lot of reasons why hair can start falling out, from the totally benign to the very serious. Even if they don't find a specific underlying cause, a dermatologist can give you recommendations or even a prescription to help it grow back. It might be as simple as diet, or it might be hormonal, or it might be your thyroid, or a vitamin deficiency, or a gluten intolerance... could be a lot of things.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    According to my demonologist...

Good post.

But an excellent typo.

;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories so that you are only losing a pound or two a week.

Take vitamins. Including biotin (don't take more than it recommends, you'll seriously regret the stomach pains).

If you can avoid it, don't take allergy medicines like Claritin or asthma meds like Primatine Mist. Both have ingredients that can cause hair loss. I'm taking Claritin right now and already noticing more shed, but I have little choice at the moment. As soon as my allergies calm down a bit I'll go back to taking just Sudafed. I'd rather have a perpetually runny nose than go bald.

Google any other medicines you take (OTC or prescription) with side effects hair loss as the other search words. It might not be on the label!