Fed up..

Options
I have been taking part in my fitness pal now for 40 days and was beginning to get very down due to every time I step on the scales which I try to do once a week. No weight seems to be shifting! I started off at 58kg and now I am 62kg. However having just measured myself today it seems I have lost a few CMs from my neck, waist and hips which has made me feel slgihtly better.

I am guessing that muscle puts weight on your body, therefore will I never actually be able to get to my ideal wight of 8 stone? I am good with my calories and healthy eating, I still have the odd chocolate bar but not vast amounts!

Anybody else have the same issues?

Replies

• SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem ! I was at 80 kg, but I kept on exercising and dieting, and in one month I was still 80 kgs, so I was pretty bummed, but then I took my measurements, and I had lost in one month 10 cms from my hips, 7 from my waist and 4 from my butt, so I was really hapy, and celebrated for a few days (some will say booooh !) but I ate basically whatever I wanted, if it was choclate, then I'd eat chocolate, if it was salad, then I'd eat salad.
    After 3 or 4 days like this, I went back on mfp, and counted my calories for the following days, and I haven't stopped losing since ! :) I hit my ten kg mark a few days ao, so, don't sweat it ! Just contin ue exercising and if you see that the weight really doesn't come off, then have a cheat day, to get your metabolism back on track !
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them.

congrates with the tape measured,

I would say you have some muscle now and they do weight heavier, they also use up more cals, so keep building them up

good on you
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    diets can end quickly, lifestyle changes take time.

its not really about your ideal weight, you should be looking at your ideal body.

3rdly go over your BMR / TDEE and excercise numbers to make sure they are correct and also if your portions / logging is correct. 15g of peanut butter doesnt look much different from 40g etc
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Cereal is another thing to weigh - it can creep up really quickly from the serving size to double that!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Nowhere near enough information to give any real advice.

However, I will say, it is physically and biologically impossible to put on 4kg of muscle in 40 days. My guess is you are overestimating calorie burn, or underestimating calories eaten, or both.
  • SeQu86inn
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, what more information do you need?

I exercise 2-3 times a week, this includes cycling, walking, running, zumba and punch bag...

I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong.
  • SeQu86inn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments, it has helped and I am glad I am not the only one. :)
  • SeQu86inn
    Options
    I used to have that problem ! I was at 80 kg, but I kept on exercising and dieting, and in one month I was still 80 kgs, so I was pretty bummed, but then I took my measurements, and I had lost in one month 10 cms from my hips, 7 from my waist and 4 from my butt, so I was really hapy, and celebrated for a few days (some will say booooh !) but I ate basically whatever I wanted, if it was choclate, then I'd eat chocolate, if it was salad, then I'd eat salad.
    After 3 or 4 days like this, I went back on mfp, and counted my calories for the following days, and I haven't stopped losing since ! :) I hit my ten kg mark a few days ao, so, don't sweat it ! Just contin ue exercising and if you see that the weight really doesn't come off, then have a cheat day, to get your metabolism back on track !

Thanks. I do find my fitness pal a handy tool to use, just really brings you down when you step on the scales and there is no change, which can get very frustrating! Although if I stick to my measuring I think that makes me feel better. How often do you measure yourself?
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nowhere near enough information to give any real advice.

However, I will say, it is physically and biologically impossible to put on 4kg of muscle in 40 days. My guess is you are overestimating calorie burn, or underestimating calories eaten, or both.

^^^ This.

More likely to be water retention.

Measure & log EVERYTHING you eat (even fat you use in your pan to fry, stuff like that), check your TDEE, make sure you eat ENOUGH.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    40 days...... I've just hit 390 today, (although I did start 3 months earlier but missed a day) Give it time, it works but you have to work at it too.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Having flicked through your diary for a few days, it looks like you're not eating back your exercise calories and this, I think, is the problem.
    3rdly go over your BMR / TDEE and excercise numbers to make sure they are correct and also if your portions / logging is correct. 15g of peanut butter doesnt look much different from 40g etc
    Try what @nikilis suggested.

A good thread to read on using BMR and TDEE is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Having flicked through your diary for a few days, it looks like you're not eating back your exercise calories and this, I think, is the problem.

A good thread to read on using BMR and TDEE is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

agreed, looks like you're undereating! I used to be at 1200.. then 1400... now 1600 cals NET a day. Some big exercise days I won't be able to eat it all back (like today). Be sure to eat back exercise calories as much as possible, get a HRM to log them accurately.

I have gone slowly but steadily from 67 to 63 over about 3months of really logging properly. You need to listen to your body and make sure you fit in your macronutreints and eat clean!
  • SeQu86inn
    Options

agreed, looks like you're undereating! I used to be at 1200.. then 1400... now 1600 cals NET a day. Some big exercise days I won't be able to eat it all back (like today). Be sure to eat back exercise calories as much as possible, get a HRM to log them accurately.

I have gone slowly but steadily from 67 to 63 over about 3months of really logging properly. You need to listen to your body and make sure you fit in your macronutreints and eat clean!

Oh right ok. I didn't even realise that would make the difference, thank you all very much. Advice taken on board. Hopefully I will get there eventually.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Oh right ok. I didn't even realise that would make the difference, thank you all very much. Advice taken on board. Hopefully I will get there eventually.
    :bigsmile: You will, after all that's what this site is ALL about! :drinker: