Help! I want to start lifting

Options
Hello everyone, I’m looking for some advice I really want to start training with weights, but I have no clue where to start in the gym.

I'm not really losing weight very steadily its very slowly really! – I’m 40 years old 5ft 2, 150lbs female (I have lost 16lbs in the last 5 months). At the minute I do insanity 2x weekly, run 10-15miles a week and do 2 hours of bootcamp, 1 hour of kettlebells (Jillian Michaels shred it with weights) – I use a 9kg kettlebell - according to my HRM im burning around 3000 cals a week – most of the exercises are cardio and although my shape is changing I just think going from doing no exercise to all of the above and dropping my cals to 1500 a day I was expecting more but maybe I’m just expecting too much!

So I was thinking if I could start at home that would build my confidence to go to the gym! If anyone on here knows of a good DVD or even a app to get me started so I don’t make a complete fool of myself at the gym that would be great!

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    like you i was peep peep scared to go to the gym. i was worried to was TOOO big, any way i pushed my self to go and guess what i was NOT the biggest girl there in fact one of the smallest :)

any way I've just started do a personal training session and loving, in the back of my mind after my 6 week of my personal training I will get him to take me thru so weight. so basically I would go to a gym and get a personal trainer to help you.

you don't have to do too many session with the personal trainer before you can go it alone

good luck

http://printableworkouts.com/ this is an interesting site
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for your advice i will look at that link. I do actually go to the gym but i only use the equipment i know what to do with sorry i probably didnt make that clear in my post. What im struggling with is what to do with the weights and what type of routine i should be following, i guess i could check for a personal trainer that would help
    Thanks and well done to you
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is a good group on here StrongLifts for Women, or something like that. A few of my MFP friends use it and they are in they are doing very well on the lifting having zero experience. You start with an empty bar on the SL program and it's free, it's worth getting form from a PT and an introduction to the kit in the gym but it's all quite simple once the mystique is removed. And don;t worry you won;t end up massive like the guys on the SL website ;)
  • kathheen
    Options
    Thanks very much will check out that group, i need to start strengthing training for the Tough Mudder too, reckon i will go to a gym in town i know and see if the guy there will give me some personal training
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I lift free weights at home. I started by doing Stronglifts 5 x 5 having downloaded the spreadsheet and using online tuition vidoes done by Mehdi of Stronglifts, but also Mark Rippetoe of Starting Strength, I also downloaded the ebook of Mark Rippetoe which gives a full explanation of all the lifts and good form.

I have now moved on to an intermediate lifting programme and still workout at home. Either buy yourself a barbell and some weight plates and start off at home to get your confidence, or just jump in, go to the gym, hit the free weights section and go for it. You will feel comfortable very quickly. Do not let anybody persuade you to just use machines and lift fluffy pink dumbbells!!!

Lifting heavy ROCKS and gives fantastic results. I continued to lose weight at a rate of 1lb a week which was my goal. I am nearly at target weight and I have exceeded the inch loss and clothes size I wanted to be in. I again have the measurements I used to have in my teens. Unlike in the past, as I have lost the weight my skin has adapted and tightened at the same time and I have very little 'squidge' which is down to the lifting alone. In daily life generally the additional strength I have is amazing.

Don't hesitate..........just DO IT..........:flowerforyou:

ETA - I have done very little cardio since Dec 2012 - mainly just walking.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Come on over to SL for Women. It's one of the friendliest groups I've ever found online.
  • kellieanney
    kellieanney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have done cardio dvd's with weights at home, also a kettlebell dvd workout at home which I like much better than the dumbell weights. Currently I have been going to the gym and using the machines though. I may do half hour cardio first some days and then either do weight machines for arms, and the next days, I will do weight machines for legs. I have only been doing this for a few weeks but am getting a bit stronger, and it really boosts the self confidence. I do three sets of fifteen reps for each machine and then switch. It gets harder as you fo, so I may pause after every five reps at times. I always feel great about my workout when I am done, it seems to be shaping my body faster than cardio does for me, I am very into my relatinship with our Lord, and when the lifting gets tougher I am motivated when I say that I am doing this for Jesus, and that He is my strength! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to, and have a blessed day! Kel :):smile:
  • kathheen
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your help!

I have tried searching the SL for women but cant find the group can you send me a link please :bigsmile:

Stronglifts 5x5 seems the way to go from what im reading on here so i will go in search of the spreadsheet and arm myself with weights and build my strength, sounds like you are doing so well!!

I cant wait to get started thanks again!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I have tried searching the SL for women but cant find the group can you send me a link please :bigsmile:

Stronglifts 5x5 seems the way to go from what im reading on here so i will go in search of the spreadsheet and arm myself with weights and build my strength, sounds like you are doing so well!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

There you go and good luck.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

StrongLifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women.

What I really like about Starting Strength is that Mark Rippetoe not only talks about what to do, he discusses the importance of form and shows how to achieve it and gives an easy to follow routine, plus he gives recommendations on what equipment you'd likely need to get going with heavy lifting, plus he suggests a nutritional plan to follow. The book is inexpensive and an easy read.

I started at home doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and fell in love. As one of the other posters said, when I decided to get a gym membership instead of buying more weights, more equipment, etc., I invested in a great trainer and training package. It's a bit spendy on the one hand but absolutely worth the $. When you are with a trainer, you can go anywhere in the gym without intimidation, and it's a great way to get familiar with all the equipment. I walk fearlessly into the weights area now, and I feel when my form isn't correct.

Here are a couple of MFP groups for you

New Rules of Lifting 4 Women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Stronglifts 5x5 for women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Strength Training
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/807-strength-training

Women Beginner Strength Training
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3772-women-beginner-strength-training

I am very active in New Rules because I'm doing the program now but each group has lots of info.

FR if you want a lifting buddy!
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I’m looking for some advice I really want to start training with weights, but I have no clue where to start in the gym.

I'm not really losing weight very steadily its very slowly really! – I’m 40 years old 5ft 2, 150lbs female (I have lost 16lbs in the last 5 months). At the minute I do insanity 2x weekly, run 10-15miles a week and do 2 hours of bootcamp, 1 hour of kettlebells (Jillian Michaels shred it with weights) – I use a 9kg kettlebell - according to my HRM im burning around 3000 cals a week – most of the exercises are cardio and although my shape is changing I just think going from doing no exercise to all of the above and dropping my cals to 1500 a day I was expecting more but maybe I’m just expecting too much!

So I was thinking if I could start at home that would build my confidence to go to the gym! If anyone on here knows of a good DVD or even a app to get me started so I don’t make a complete fool of myself at the gym that would be great!

Order P90X - it will be the best thing you've ever done for your body.
  • suelegal
    Options

Order P90X - it will be the best thing you've ever done for your body.

Great program, for sure, but she asked about lifting heavy. P90X is not a weight lifting program.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 429 Member
    Options

StrongLifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women.

What I really like about Starting Strength is that Mark Rippetoe not only talks about what to do, he discusses the importance of form and shows how to achieve it and gives an easy to follow routine, plus he gives recommendations on what equipment you'd likely need to get going with heavy lifting, plus he suggests a nutritional plan to follow. The book is inexpensive and an easy read.

I started at home doing New Rules of Lifting for Women and fell in love. As one of the other posters said, when I decided to get a gym membership instead of buying more weights, more equipment, etc., I invested in a great trainer and training package. It's a bit spendy on the one hand but absolutely worth the $. When you are with a trainer, you can go anywhere in the gym without intimidation, and it's a great way to get familiar with all the equipment. I walk fearlessly into the weights area now, and I feel when my form isn't correct.

Here are a couple of MFP groups for you

New Rules of Lifting 4 Women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Stronglifts 5x5 for women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Strength Training
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/807-strength-training

Women Beginner Strength Training
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3772-women-beginner-strength-training

I am very active in New Rules because I'm doing the program now but each group has lots of info.

FR if you want a lifting buddy!

Everything Sue said. Plus, I don't think you're eating enough.

Good luck! Happy lifting!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts; Deadlifts (and/or variations), squats, bench press, overhead press, and bent over rows.

And because I get too bored easily, I rotate in glute ham raises, hip thrusts, and a few other things.

and make sure you are eating enough, you need to eat back your exercise calories.
  • pinkpotatochips
    pinkpotatochips Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am just starting lifting myself! Was doing Insanity before.
    If you want to be more accountable for your workouts and/or want advice from others in the same boat or even from experts, fitocracy.com is really helpful! They have articles to read, thousands of people that will answer questions, etc.

Also, stumptuous.com is great for women lifters.

Good luck!
  • monikalama
    monikalama Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • suelegal
    Options

Everything Sue said. Plus, I don't think you're eating enough.

Good luck! Happy lifting!

How much below TDEE are you eating? Scale weight isn't necessarily a good indicator, and you are already quite active. I bet your body fat % is low or getting better. When I first started lifting I ate at maintenance or a bit more. I hadn't exercised regularly for a long time - 10 years easily - and I have a very sedentary lifestyle - my work days are 12 hrs between my commute and hours at a desk job, and I was flabby and weak. Check this site for info on how many cals you could aim for if you want to lose weight.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I am not big on MFPs calculations, I think their macros focus too much on carbs and not enough on protein and they are definitely too cookie cutte. But the good news is you can customize your macros to suit your goals.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Another vote for StrongLifts. Book a sesh with a PT, ask him/her to go over all the lifts with you and then you can do them on your own!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    ETA: double post
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question...I, too, want to take myself to another level & believe lifting is the direction I want to take. Great advice & resources shared by everyone.