Amazonish...and okay with it.

Options
I see all these posts where these girls are 5'2" and 5'4" and lamenting being 125 lbs and I'm thinking to myself, am I crazy? I'm almost six feet tall. My goal is to weigh 200 lbs. It sounds so awful, but it's all I want. I don't want to be model skinny, or even high school skinny. I want to look better nekkid. I want to not worry if my muffin top is sticking out. I want to shop at stores other than Lane Bryant. I'm not asking for unattainable goals. And I have the determination to get there, (when it's not tax season) and now, I just need some cheerleaders. I'll cheer for you if you want to cheer for me? Can any of these short girls wrap their minds around an Amazon's milestones? Or are there any other Amazons out there? Let's be friends. :)

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am not as tall as you, but I totally get your goals. I am at a stage where I don't want to lose much more weight. Over the last to weeks (I gained last week ttom) I managed to only lose around 400g. This is a good thing. It means I am figuring my body out, sort of. Whatever our shape and build, we need to be happy and comfortable in how skins. Feel free to add if you don't mind a skinny Aussie chicks support :)
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand how you feel. I think that you might find that there are all kinds of cheerleaders around here.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love you and your honesty.

At 5'10" and almost 300# when I started, I also had higher goals than many. I wanted to hit 180.
    I made it and lost quite a bit more and gained a bit back and currently sit at around 170.
    I am fit and healthy now and guess what? According to my doctor (and my body fat percentage, waist-to-hip ratio, and all other health indicators), I was healthy at 195 and bordering on too thin for my frame and body composition at 155.

Congratulations on understanding that you don't have to achieve a small number on the scale to be successful.

Focus on being healthy. Set a realistic goal. If you're happy when you get close to that, start transitioning to maintenance and find new fitness or lifestyle goals to work towards. If, on the other hand, you reach your initial goal and feel like you want to go a bit further, you can.

I love when I see people like you being confident enough and informed enough to set realistic, achievable goals. You're more likely to reach and maintain them and you have more room to evolve as your body and lifestyle get healthier.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Very refreshing to hear & realistic.

I'm in the height range would mention (the not tall one) but my goals are more about being lean, nicely muscular & heavy on the scale. The heavier & more lean I am the better I'll look. I love the curves well-defined muscles create. I cringe when I read about women several inches taller than me with goal weights lower than my LBM.

Maybe my goal is really to look like a mini Amazon? lol.. At least until I find that magic pill that makes me taller.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Although I'm not quite as tall as you I hear you!

My goal is most people's starting weight... but I know it will be awesome. ;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There are 200 pound women who look better than I do right now at 121. Plus they can reach the top shelf in the grocery store without looking like little dogs begging for treats. :happy:
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm envious of your height! I am 5'4 and have always thought "amazon" women were beautiful!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and weigh 153 currently.. trying to get back to my goal of 150, and I wear a size 4. Totally healthy and fit, just thin... and tall!

When I started, I weighed 180.. which is way to heavy for me. Had a muffin top, was wearing sizes way larger then I was used to, and I wasn't happy.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the benefits. As a shorty I'm totally jealous of how many more calories larger people burn doing the same intensity exercise as me...
  • bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from.

Well, I'm only 5'2" (do you want to share some of your goddess-y tallness with me, please?) I'm determined not to set a goal weight for myself. I'm Brazilian and I LOVE looking curvy. I want to be lean and healthy, not soft and sickly.
    Mostly, though, I just want my *kitten* to stop jiggling so much. >.<
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", can I be an amazon? :) I'm very solid for my height. I weigh more than I look so my almost unrealistic goal is 165. You can add me if you want. I've been off the wagon since Halloween and am trying to get back on.
  • vriesian
    vriesian Posts: 3
    Options
    I also know what you mean, although not quite your beautiful height, I am 5'8" (and a half ;) ) My goal weight is 170 and that is a good healthy weight for me. Feel free to add me :)
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" about 185 right now, I am aiming for 164 so I drop into the healthy bmi range. When I see numbers like 125 it seems SO small to me, I think of anorexic looking people, but then I realize people who look healthy at that weight are shorter and possibly have less muscle.

This website is really helpful to look at different sizes and guess what you goal would actually look like. Although you can't tell the bf%.
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?height=5+2&weight=120&pant=any&shirt=any&zphoto=Large&new=1
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I envy your height. I am just 5'5" and what I would not do for a few extra inches. Thank you for such an honest post! :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm not anywhere that tall myself, but both of my younger sisters are 5'9" & 5'11", the shorter is 200 herself and really doesn't look "big" so I fully understand you. (giggle - I would have been taller if not for my scoliosis - silly spine) I myself, want to aim for the 160-170 mark - my BMI tells me I'm supposed to be 125-130 and I honestly know that is not an attainable goal, plus I know I will look sickly.

I've already hit one of my goals - being able to shop at more stores! I can go to Old Navy and NOT hit the "plus" section, Lane Bryant is becoming something that I won't need much longer (and it was hard to find 16's in the store) and I've even stolen a few pieces of clothing from my Hubs! (he wears anywhere from a M to a XL).

Keep your goals, aim where you want, not everybody wants to be the skinny model :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    At 5'3" the BMI shows 104 being the lowest acceptable weight. I was string bean skinny at 115 THREE KIDS AGO. I don't know what those crazy people are thinking.

I got up to 200 pounds when I was pregnant with my youngest. All I wanted when I started was to get below 150 ( Still overweight according to the BMI)
    Everything else is just due to continuing eating the goal Calories and walking. I've recently upped it to maintain. I wouls rather have friends that are honest and realistic about where they want to end up. Then you don't end up as one of the houndreds of posts asking why you can't lose weight on a 1,200 calorie diet.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm short, but I have the same goals! I just want to shop in regular stores and not worry, or be embarrassed, that they don't carry my size. I want to look good both in and out of clothes and I want to be able to keep up with my very active son! I want to be able to fly without fearing that I won't fit in the seat and I want to be able to go to amusement parks with my son and not avoid the rides because I fear I won't fit in the seat!

I also want to be healthy. I want to live for a long time and watch my son grow up and then be able to keep up with my future grandkids!

I have zero desire to be a size zero! I might have been 125 for about 10 minutes when I was 10, but that is not for me. I'm striving for the high end of my healthy BMI.
  • Aellyn
    Aellyn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    At 5' 11ish, I totallt getvwere you are coming frim. I used to think 130 would be a perfect weight for me because ir seemed normal. Now I realize it's about being healthy in my tall, large size amazon body. Good job picking a goal that seems will work for you.
  • anniemae225
    anniemae225 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are all fabulous!! :) Thanks for making me feel less crazy.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but browsing through the forums this thread really stuck out for me since I can really relate to it.

I weigh 185, almost 6ft tall and wear a size 9/10. I lift weights so I am heavier than I appear.

As I silmmed down and gotten fit, I'm actually very happy and content with my body. I'm a mixture of a little muscle and a lot of curves.

OP are you still out there or is there anyone else out there who can relate? :-)