Do I want to lose too much?

Options
Hi all, just after your opinions. I have over the last year lost around 12kg, half of which has been recently.
I plan to lose another 3kg to get to my goal weight of 65kg.
I have had a couple of people recently say that I shouldn't lose any more weight though.
I'm not skinny or with bones protruding. I still have a lot of meat on me.
My stats are: 172cm, 37yo, 68kg
Sorry for metric as I am in Australia
Conversion:
65kg = 143lbs
68kg = 149lbs
172cm = 5'6"
Is it realistic for me to try for 65kg? I don't think it is too little or that I will be underweight but just worried by a couple of comments recently.

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    forget the numbers as long as your BMI is fine its just what you look like.

so the real question is what do you want your body to look like. think about that and not the number on the scale.

probably you want to tone - loose fat / gain muscle.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I just went to this site http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

65kg seems good

try doing some weights it changes your body shape, I now have muscles :smile:
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ive just checked your BMI. 65 kg is a perfectly normal weight for your height. I would imagine that your friends and loved ones are still getting used to the smaller you. nice that they are concerned for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so the real question is what do you want your body to look like. think about that and not the number on the scale.

probably you want to tone - loose fat / gain muscle.

this
  • BarbaraBarrHaylock
    Options
    Your goal at your height would be 23.1 BMI. Since Normal weight = 18.5–24.9 BMI. Your current weight is 24 BMI. So I would say you're realistic. You're going to look more gaunt now than a year ago and hopefully the next 3 kg won't show so much in your face. You're young and hopefully are toning your body as well. Do what you feel is good or right for you.

Just my opnion ;-)

Barbara
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You're similar weight with similar goal to me - I don't think its unrealistic. (I'm aiming for 147lb, because I've been comfortable but slim at that weight!) Its within a "healthy" weight range - whatever that is!
  • becnaffine
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes I am definitely doing weights as well and trying to tone my body.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Unless those people see you naked all the time I would go by your own judgement and not theirs. Which doesn't mean you have to lose more, sometimes hitting the weights hard does the trick. I see a baby in your profile pic, so I have to add, don't make the mistake I did and think you can completely diet away a baby belly (especially if you had a C-section). Most people will never look exactly as they did before. It's taking me awhile to accept that, but by the time my son is in college next year maybe I'll be okay with it. :grumble:
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    DOn't listen to anyone that mentions BMI. It is a bullsh*t number. Even if you would be under or over, it does not measure health and muscle. As long as you feel good about it, you eat well and move a little, there's nothing wrong with it!
  • becnaffine
    Options
    Unless those people see you naked all the time I would go by your own judgement and not theirs. Which doesn't mean you have to lose more, sometimes hitting the weights hard does the trick. I see a baby in your profile pic, so I have to add, don't make the mistake I did and think you can completely diet away a baby belly (especially if you had a C-section). Most people will never look exactly as they did before. It's taking me awhile to accept that, but by the time my son is in college next year maybe I'll be okay with it. :grumble:
    Oh no I'm not that naive to think that I could get rid of a baby belly after three kids (youngest is 18 months). My belly is great for having three kids so no problems there. My body has changed somewhat in shape from having three kids, I've more than accepted that and happy to work with what I've got.
    I think my query was just to check that I wasn't seeing things differently to other people and to make sure I was being sensible in my goals. All good :)