Really unhealthy weight loss. Need help!

Options
Hello!
Over the winter I gained about 10 lbs from not really caring what I ate, but after weeks of just wearing sweatpants and leggings (Classy, I know..) I put on my favorite pair of jeans... and they wouldn't zip. It put me in a frenzy, in my mind the weight needed to come off NOW. So, for the last 2 and 1/2 weeks I've been eating under 1000 calories. (Very unhealthy.) I have lost all the fat I want to lose, I'm happy with how my body looks. But with these calorie restrictions and obsessing over calories, I've lost myself and my personality, I'm grumpy 90% of the time. How can I maintain my weight after starving myself? I'm so happy with my body, I want to eat healthy. Do you think increasing to 1000 calories per day (I also exercise daily) is a good start? I do not need/want to gain any fat, please help!!

Replies

• flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one because of the way you lost it, it may come right back up. I would bring your calories back up to around 1500 and see where how your body reacts to that. When I say 1500 that is with eating back your exercise calories. If it's stable start going up 50 calories a week as so you can figure out what your set point actually is. You might also want to figure out what your TDEE is and eat that amount. Good luck
  • availles
    availles Posts: 11
    Options
    Sign up to an activity tracker program. Fitbugorb is the one i use.They measure your activity, offer advice and encouragement and generally handhold you to enable weight loss, health improvement and lifestyle changes. Can't recommend them enough.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Ok, so in 2 1/2 weeks you aren't going to do any damage to your body. Also you can't lose 10 pounds of fat in 2 weeks either. Most of it is water weight, which was probably the explanation for the extra poundage.

What are your stats? Height/weight/age

I would start eating at your maintenance level, and lift weights to keep in shape.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Ok, so in 2 1/2 weeks you aren't going to do any damage to your body. Also you can't lose 10 pounds of fat in 2 weeks either. Most of it is water weight, which was probably the explanation for the extra poundage.

What are your stats? Height/weight/age

I would start eating at your maintenance level, and lift weights to keep in shape.

That's pretty good advice, I think.
    Very low calorie diets aren't generally a good idea, but 2.5 weeks isn't going to cause you any permanent problems. And I agree that you didn't lose 10 pounds of fat in that short amount of time.
    You may see your scale weight fluctuate a bit once you raise your calories to the appropriate amount for your body, but if you stick to a healthy lifestyle, you will see everything even out again.