Do you average your cals over the week?

Options
I wondered if I'm alone in doing this. I basically keep track of my net cals over 7 days (weigh in day to weigh in day), and target the weekly figure being on track rather than specifically worrying about each indvidual day. So this last week my net cals were 40 cals over for the week.

Does anyone else do this? Am I defeating the object? Should I be sticking to cals rigidly every single day? I suppose I look at it that you don't put on weight in one day, so you don't lose it in one either - it's the overall picture that matters. It also allows me a hungry / bad day where I go over, that I can still make up for without feeling like a failure.

Please reassure me I'm not getting this horribly wrong by doing it this way!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i look at my net cals over the week as well. theres nothing wrong with doing it that way.
  • Schann7
    Schann7 Posts: 218
    Options
    I would really love to know this as well! It would save the stress of going slightly over on one day, by feeling like you could counteract that over the rest of the week by adjusting a day or two just a little if you needed and had that option.... The only thing I would be worried about would be going too far under on calories one day IF you've had a bad week? I guess you could just put it down to a bad week lol

I would love to know if this works :) Have you lost any weight yet doing this?
  • suzyw7
    suzyw7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do try to stick to my calories for the day, because I don't want to be pigging out one day and then restricting the next. But if I do go over I don't worry about it because for me as long as I'm within calories by the end of the week I'm happy. I'm steadily losing weight so it must be working!

I think it's about whatever works for you.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Nope :sad: just a bit over :wink:
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I allowed myself to go over yesterday on purpose because I know I will be under today due to walking a round of golf. It's the big picture that matters.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I sort of do. If I'm way under (which can happen quite a bit because I take meds that make me feel very sick, and the anti sick ESA drugs destroy my appetite if I take them), I mentally carry the knowledge that there is room for extra on any one day.

And then I generally waste it on alcohol with my friends. :)
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes....I work out my average daily TDEE and average daily consumed calories at the end of each week, along with any gains or losses.
    I've found that I'm better off not focusing on weekly results, but monthly instead.....my body likes to take it's time to change!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I do. I try to stay in my calories for the day, but sometimes I go just a little under for those days during the week when I'm a little over. By the end of the week, I still am at the calorie count I should be.

I find it to be less stressful and easier for me to manage. Going just by the day is too much for me. I was getting discouraged easily and often. So this way if I go over by a lot, I just cut back a little on the remaining days.
    I find that knowing that I CAN eat the high calorie stuff, makes me more inclined to NOT eat it. If I CAN'T eat it, I want it more. hahahaha
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also like to average over a week rather than being too obessed with calories for a given day. This is life, there will be days where you will be over and days you will be under, plus people at work like to bring in cakes after they have been on Holiday, it would be rude not to try some! :happy:
  • HelstonSonia
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm glad I'm not the only one - it seems to work better for me. I think if I did it over a month I'd lose focus, but a week is long enough not to beat myself up if I have one bad day.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've started doing this. It allows me to plan for a "splurge meal" which really isn't a cheat meal as I've saved calories for it. It has worked for me. I also get a lot of exercise which helps contribute to my calories "saved" for this meal.
  • rmtuesley
    rmtuesley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do! And I am still losing. I tend to have a couple of days during the week where I don't eat as much so I don't have to worry about weekends when we go out with friends. I think it is perfect for me.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yep this is 100% what I do. Don't sweat the short-term under/over as long as the week is pretty much bang on I have always lost weight with no exception. Whenever I gain or plateau my full week picture hasn't been right. I also sometime run late at night so it's more the next day I should be counting those calls, the bottom line is all about the long-term bigger picture. Also allows me to easily factor in a 'cheat night' by being under during the week (usually with extra exercise not under eating).
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    people at work like to bring in cakes after they have been on Holiday, it would be rude not to try some! :happy:

Absolutely! :wink:
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Micro and Macro!! Big picture small pic! daily and weekly and even monthly:) when I started to examine the week and month in its entirety light bulbs went off!!
    Kristian Rocco
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Always! Just isn't realistic for me to stress about being on point every day
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I try to stay close to my goal every day, but because this is a lifestyle not just a diet, I don't worry on a day to day basis. Like this week, I ate a little short all week, because I am going on a women's camping trip this weekend and KNOW I will eat and drink a lot more then I usually do and not feel guilty at all. Really enjoy myself :-) Monday I will eat a little short again and exercise alot to get off the water weight, and I will be good to go. Oh, I weigh in on Wed. mornings.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Both. I look at my daily and try to stay under. But if I have a bad day, I don't sweat it and look at the weekly goal.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I would like to do this, because it makes the most sense and is a good indicator of how on track you may or may not be. It's also important if you are tracking specific nutrients.

I actually put in a suggestion for the website to offer 7-day averages, perhaps when you complete your diary each day. Others replied that while the website doesn't do it, one or more of the mobile apps does this, but I don't use the app on my Android because the footprint is too large. I prefer the website, on a full-sized browser. The reports aren't particularly useful though.

I think I'll go poke that tech request. Meanwhile I guess I will start yet another life management spreadsheet and start copying and pasting every day like a caveperson :ohwell: