very active + 1600 calories = nothing!

Options
Good morning,

I'm a 31 y/o female. I currently weight 162.5 on my home scale and have been trying to get to 145/150 for the longest time. I often start to see progress, then something comes up, i fall off the wagon, then have to start over. This time I'm back for real.

I am a Physical Education Teacher. I teach is a situation that allows me to participate and stay active with my classes. Right now we are doing a basketball unit- so I am currently playing full or half court basketball 4 times a day..usually about 30 minutes each time. I will often walk at lunch time, and this past week I got 2 30 minute runs in during the evenings. I wear a pedometer and my lowest step count this past week was 18,000 and my highest was over 30,000.

I had my settings for MFP set up according to phase one of the p90x diet....50/30/20 p/c/f and had a total calorie intake of 1600 a day. I didn't hit any of the ratios though- had more carbs and figured this was ok due to my higher amounts of cardio

Last week I dropped weight, this week I stayed the same.

Any suggestions?? Not really sure where to go from here- less calories, different ratios, more exercise, etc

I did not eat back my exercise calories. Thanks!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The key is consistency. You need to give this a good 6 weeks before you change it. Personally I think your plan sounds great for your height and activity level. Keep up on it. Weight loss is not linear, you won't lose the same amount of weight every week even if you ate the exact same amount of calories per day.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out your TDEE and BMR it can be an amazing eye opener to just how many calories your body burns just by living not including exercise. HAve a read of the below link, it helped me sort my intake out and the results have been shocking fat and inches falling off, even now i've upped my calorie intake again by another 300 still seeing going results.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • nucgirl13
    nucgirl13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What does your TDEE work out to be? If its only been a week without losing and you lost weight last week, I wouldn't be too concerned. I have gone 3 weeks without losing and then lost 6 lbs the fourth week. I don't think weight loss is always linear.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

6) Maintain your exercise.

Please Ignore this. All you need is a reasonable caloric deficit.

I suggest you set your activity level as very active and your weight loss goal/week at no more than 1 lb/week (this should give you well over the 1600 that you are getting now). Since you don't have a lot to lose a goal of more than 1 lb/week is much too aggressive and may lead to the loss of a large % of lean mass as opposed to mostly fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat more! net 1600 and you should get somewhere!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not familiar with women's bodies or hormones?

I maintain a healthy diet, I track calories in and out accurately and eat a healthy diet (whole foods, easy on the salt and sugar, little wheat or dairy) and yet there are times when my weight will suddenly jump up by 2-3lbs and stay there for a week and then drop by 4-5lbs.

This happens pretty much like clockwork with my cycle. My diet doesn't change (I'm not a great believer in hormonal indulgences) but it still happens.

Why tell someone that the scale WILL go down every couple of days when that is setting them up for a disappointment?

ETA: Just read your article and you're seriously recommending frozen meals as a sensible option?
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out your TDEE and BMR it can be an amazing eye opener to just how many calories your body burns just by living not including exercise. HAve a read of the below link, it helped me sort my intake out and the results have been shocking fat and inches falling off, even now i've upped my calorie intake again by another 300 still seeing going results.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
    THIS
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

Definitely NOT this
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I agree 100% on IGNORING this... with your activity level you should be eating more most likley NOT less! Even if you ate the same things each day with the same activity you will not lose the same amount each week. Key is patience. But I do suggest checking out the TDEE-%...has worked wonders for so many!! If you lost last week and not this...do not panic it happens. I lost 3 lbs one week....then .6 (after busting my butt I was mad LOL) then I lost 1.2
    Measure yourself every couple of weeks too - sometimes that is my confidence boost. The scale may not move..but the measurements do which makes me just as happy!
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Why tell someone that the scale WILL go down every couple of days when that is setting them up for a disappointment?

Thank you for saying this! I have a HORRIBLE habit of stepping on the scale every day. I don't get overly disappointed because I know how much I fluctuate. But yesterday I was 192, had a decent day, and this morning I'm 194! Ugh!
  • Chlobsy
    Chlobsy Posts: 5
    Options
    See a dietician to see if you can start the Ketogenic diet. Dont just loose regular weight, loose fat!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Please please PLEASE ignore bob_day and totally check out the link SGSmallman recommends...that changed my life. :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The first step would be to figure out what your true maintenance calorie intake is. You might not be burning as much as you think you are (or you might be burning more), it's hard to tell without actually taking the time to test it.

The second step would be to confirm that your calorie intake estimations are accurate. It's VERY easy to underestimate calorie intake. Pick up a food scale, start weighing and measuring out EVERYTHING you eat. Don't just take the calorie counts from the MFP database, get accurate nutritional information.

The third step would be to incorporate some kind of resistance training into your exercise regime. It could be weight lifting, gymnastics, whatever. Just follow some form of reasonable, full body, progressive overload paradigm.

The fourth step would be to stop shooting for a specific weight and start shooting for real goals. Particularly when you're close to an ideal weight already, goals like running a 10k in X time or increasing your squat to Y pounds tend to result in more happiness with exercise and ultimate better success in the mirror. You might find that you're not the original weight you were looking for, but if you're eating a reasonable diet and are strong (and getting stronger), fast (and getting faster), and flexible (and getting more so) you can be sure you'll be looking better too.

The fifth step would be, after you've become comfortable with your own successes and the goals you have in front of you, to try to teach the students in your classes step four. Lord knows more people need to think that way and you're in a wonderful position to pass that on.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Please Ignore this. All you need is a reasonable caloric deficit.

I suggest you set your activity level as very active and your weight loss goal/week at no more than 1 lb/week (this should give you well over the 1600 that you are getting now). Since you don't have a lot to lose a goal of more than 1 lb/week is much too aggressive and may lead to the loss of a large % of lean mass as opposed to mostly fat.

^^^^ Yes
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you are close to your weight loss goal, so losing the weight can and will be slow. We all want to see instant results, but it's not always that way. I recommend ignoring what the scale says and using measurements to gauge your success. I've gained weight, yet still lost inches on my body. Any time my weight stays the same or goes when I weigh in, I remind myself that it can me muscle gain or is probably water retention, or many other factors. We are women, our weight can fluctuate 5lbs. in a day, if not more!

Also, I recommend upping your calories. Considering how active you are, you're probably not eating enough. Are you eating 1600 calories AFTER exercise calories are counted? If not, then you're way too low, and not eating enough can cause weight loss to stall, and even even weight gain. You can lose weight eating more. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less, there's a WEALTH of information there.

Using what information you gave (and I said your height was 5'6", not sure how tall you really are), I put it into the Scooby's Workshop calorie calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/), it says your Basal Metabolic Rate is (rounded up) about 1500. Even at a light/moderate activity level, you should be eating at least 1800 calories. And yes, those extra 200 calories a day do count in the long run.
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    delete
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I entered your data into a calculator,
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    using (very) conservative estimates where there was no information and it came up with a TDEE of:
    3,263 cals.

Most people estimate losing 1lb a week by cutting back around 500 cals a day. This takes you to around 2700. That's quite a lot more than your current 1600. Someone as active as you needs fuel, and lots of it. The theory being that if you don't then your body will try to conserve what it's already got and your weight loss will stall (sound familiar?). There is another point of view that if you have just a little weight to lose then 1/2lb a week is more achievable.

There are a lot of topics on here on the eat more and lose weight theme - they make eye opening reading. I really think that you should read them and then decide for yourself what a sensible amount to eat is.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I feel as though you're so active that 1600 is way too low. your lack of weightloss this week could be because of a plethora of things - TOM, sodium, what have you, but I also think that 1600 is likely MUCH less than your BMR (the amount your body absolutely needs daily) at your activity level.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

The fifth step would be, after you've become comfortable with your own successes and the goals you have in front of you, to try to teach the students in your classes step four. Lord knows more people need to think that way and you're in a wonderful position to pass that on.

Well said, we need education on this, not to get into a bad state in the first place.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

#1. Not necessary. One, two, three or more meals, snacks, -doesn't matter. Find a pattern that works for you & your schedule.
    #2. Again, not necessary to totally give up sugar like that.
    #3. Not necessary. Eat the exact same meals every day? No. BORING.
    #4. Weigh yourself daily only if the fluctuations won't drive you crazy. Otherwise, no.
    #5. Why not have variety now?
    #6. Yes, I can agree with you on ONE point. Keep up your exercise, it's good for you.