How to start eating meat again?

Options

Replies

• kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Well,the truth is.I started being a vegetarian for the wrong reasons and now it's making me sick(vomiting,hair loss,blackouts,low blood sugar).I started it to restrict my intake and now that im not doing that I see no reason not to.I understand the animal rights thing though,my father is a rancher and he raises his cows in a humane way.(even though raising something right & then killing it isn't any better).
    I just think I wasn't cut out for this:/
    I'm not doing something right but tbh,I'm tired of focusing all my attention on food,I just want to get all my nutrients in one place and not worry about protein & b-12 etc.
    It's just that I now associate vegetarianism with my eating disorder and I want a change.

I'm totally an advocate for a no-meat lifestyle, BUT it sounds like you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

If you know where your meat is coming from and that it is fresh, by all means!

On the other hand, please do not think that you can "get all my nutrients in one place" by eating beef. You must eat a balanced diet. Keep eating as many vegetables as possible and add a little bit of meat. Meat should be a side dish, not the focus of every meal.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    dont do it
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    dont do it

....this.
  • HealthLover007
    Options
    Meat is a difficult thing for the body to consume. It is kind of toxic and takes a lot of energy by the body to break it down. That's why people feel tired after consuming a lot of meat. However, if you consume meat with green vegetables, it helps with your stomach acid and makes it easier for your body to break down not only meat, but any food you might consume with it.

According to the documentary film "SuperSize Me", as stated by the dietician experts they interviewed, a serving size meat is approxiamtely equal to the volume of a deck of playing cards.

Think slice, not slab, when figuring out reasonable serving sizes of meat. The allure of a steakhouse or barbecue joint relies on a hunk of beef atop a sizzling plate, but in reality you should not consume more than 6 oz of meat per day, according to the American Heart Association and the USDA Food Pyramid. A 3-oz portion is about the size of a deck of cards or a bar of soap.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Go to 5 Guys, order a burger. Done.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for three years.
    The first meat I had was a double cheese burger from McDonald's. It didn't make me sick.

You need a food scale. You can get a good one for under twenty dollars. Go by what the food package says, most will tell you to go by the pre-cooked (raw) weight of the meat.
  • sunnysweetpea
    sunnysweetpea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hadn't eaten meat for 8 years and just threw myself back into it with a big burger. I had no side effects whatsoever!!
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    Meat is a difficult thing for the body to consume. It is kind of toxic and takes a lot of energy by the body to break it down. That's why people feel tired after consuming a lot of meat. However, if you consume meat with green vegetables, it helps with your stomach acid and makes it easier for your body to break down not only meat, but any food you might consume with it.

According to the documentary film "SuperSize Me", as stated by the dietician experts they interviewed, a serving size meat is approxiamtely equal to the volume of a deck of playing cards.

Think slice, not slab, when figuring out reasonable serving sizes of meat. The allure of a steakhouse or barbecue joint relies on a hunk of beef atop a sizzling plate, but in reality you should not consume more than 6 oz of meat per day, according to the American Heart Association and the USDA Food Pyramid. A 3-oz portion is about the size of a deck of cards or a bar of soap.

6 oz? That's not even a third of my daily protein requirement.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what some people say you know your body best and you know what works for it. Some here say they didn't get sick which is great for them but others like me I had to reintroduce meat very slowly. My stomach would get very upset in the beginning and I would have cramps if I ate too much. My daughter on the other hand was one who didn't get sick at all, she just went back to eating meat like she had never stopped and she was vegetarian for about 2 years longer then me. Everyone is different and you have to figure out what works best for you.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Go to 5 Guys, order a burger. Done.
    ^^^^^^This.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have be a pscetarian (eating seafood) for 4 1/2 years. I am trying to reintroduce myself back into eating some meats. I have ate small pieces of meat (twice) just to see if it will make me sick. I have gotten headaches sometimes but nothing major. However, I wouldn't jump back into it. One step at a time. :-)
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for three years.
    The first meat I had was a double cheese burger from McDonald's. It didn't make me sick.

You need a food scale. You can get a good one for under twenty dollars. Go by what the food package says, most will tell you to go by the pre-cooked (raw) weight of the meat.

I eat meat daily... and McDonald's would still make me sick. That food be nasty.
  • Ade2013
    Ade2013 Posts: 28
    Options
    dont Go have a kentucky fried cruelty burger etc, get a real quality piece of meat if you feel you must. I am still wondering why you feel you need to eat meat ? maybe have an omelette instead ?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why you want to eat meat again? I was veggie for years, then started eating meat again but went veggie again about three years ago. With current farming methods (cruelty plus all the chemicals they pump in them plus the nasty abbatoirs) I couldn't see myself ever going back to eating meat. It would have to be wild caught with no trauma or at least raised naturally with access to outdoors, given a normal lifespan and killed humanely. I truly believe if you can't look something in the eye and kill it yourself then you shouldn't eat it.

I know none of this helps your original question but was just curious as to the reasons for beging veggie in the first place and what has changed your mind?

Well,the truth is.I started being a vegetarian for the wrong reasons and now it's making me sick(vomiting,hair loss,blackouts,low blood sugar).I started it to restrict my intake and now that im not doing that I see no reason not to.I understand the animal rights thing though,my father is a rancher and he raises his cows in a humane way.(even though raising something right & then killing it isn't any better).
    I'm not doing something right but tbh,I'm tired of focusing all my attention on food,I just want to get all my nutrients in one place and not worry about protein & b-12 etc.
    It's just that I now associate vegetarianism with my eating disorder and I want a change.

It sounds like the eating disorder was making you sick, not being vegetarian.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was raised vegetarian. I never at any meat at all from birth until I was about 12 (pre-teen rebellion). I ate a pretty rare hamburger at a friend's house and didn't get sick. I have a really good digestive system, too. No sensitivities to anything (gluten, dairy, etc.)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why you want to eat meat again? I was veggie for years, then started eating meat again but went veggie again about three years ago. With current farming methods (cruelty plus all the chemicals they pump in them plus the nasty abbatoirs) I couldn't see myself ever going back to eating meat. It would have to be wild caught with no trauma or at least raised naturally with access to outdoors, given a normal lifespan and killed humanely. I truly believe if you can't look something in the eye and kill it yourself then you shouldn't eat it.

I know none of this helps your original question but was just curious as to the reasons for beging veggie in the first place and what has changed your mind?

I don't think that matters much - what matters is that she associates a vegetarian lifestyle with an illness and if she feels that eating meat will help her break away from an eating disorder then we should support that.

OP: Start with something light, like fish, and then work your way up to poultry and then red meat if you want to go that far.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I don't think that matters much - what matters is that she associates a vegetarian lifestyle with an illness and if she feels that eating meat will help her break away from an eating disorder then we should support that.

OP: Start with something light, like fish, and then work your way up to poultry and then red meat if you want to go that far.

Well actually it does matter to an extent because it appears the op is blaming their health issues on a vegetarian diet, not an eating disorder which likely was the culprit of it.

OP: If you decide to stick to vegetarianism there is a group here of vegetarians/pescartians and vegans that can help you learn to eat healthy http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for six years and went right back to meat with no issues at all.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I would suggest to start and slow and see how your body reacts. I am a vegetarian and my digestive track knows when I might have mistaken ingested red meat or poultry when eating out. I have always had a sensitive system and giving up red meat and poultry wasn't that difficult.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    dont Go have a kentucky fried cruelty burger etc, get a real quality piece of meat if you feel you must. I am still wondering why you feel you need to eat meat ? maybe have an omelette instead ?

cruelty burger?

tumblr_m8rxckxM6W1r9rdxs.gif