very active + 1600 calories = nothing!

Options
2»

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    eat more! net 1600 and you should get somewhere!

This! As you are so active, you are probably not netting a very high amount of calories at all. :flowerforyou:
  • mikkieup
    mikkieup Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.

I had a few minutes and looked briefly at a TDEE calculation...definately need to eat more. I guess my biggest worry is that when i eat more, I tend to bloat up very quickly...so my goal is to keep it clean, but eat more calories....>CLEAN CALORIES!!! which is a struggle for me..when i hear "eat more" i think of all the junk out there i could eat!

And as for my students....i try to be a good role model, I work with them on setting goals and acheiving goals and not focusing on a number on the scale...in fact we do body fat %'s not weights for all of them. Our "gym" is a full fitness center and the great outdoors, so we do a lot of real life teaching, and not a lot of old school "gym class" stuff. Right now they have the choice of playing basketball or walking/running laps with their friends (we are taking advantage of the sunshine and getting their vitamin D)

So bottom line, i need to stop and think of the advice I'd give to others and give it to myself!

And my other problem is I need to find a workout plan and COMMIT to it....instead of just doing a little of this and a little of that, i need to find something and be consistant!

Oh, and not pigging out or cheating too much the weekend will help too! :)
  • mikkieup
    Options
    oh, and my goals (other than a number on the scale) are to fit into a pair of pants in my closet that I have set aside from that past and I have a 5K coming up the first week of June...maybe I'd actually be able to run the 10k!! That's scary for me!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.

I had a few minutes and looked briefly at a TDEE calculation...definately need to eat more. I guess my biggest worry is that when i eat more, I tend to bloat up very quickly...so my goal is to keep it clean, but eat more calories....>CLEAN CALORIES!!! which is a struggle for me..when i hear "eat more" i think of all the junk out there i could eat!

And as for my students....i try to be a good role model, I work with them on setting goals and acheiving goals and not focusing on a number on the scale...in fact we do body fat %'s not weights for all of them. Our "gym" is a full fitness center and the great outdoors, so we do a lot of real life teaching, and not a lot of old school "gym class" stuff. Right now they have the choice of playing basketball or walking/running laps with their friends (we are taking advantage of the sunshine and getting their vitamin D)

So bottom line, i need to stop and think of the advice I'd give to others and give it to myself!

And my other problem is I need to find a workout plan and COMMIT to it....instead of just doing a little of this and a little of that, i need to find something and be consistant!

Good call, you seem to be on the right track.

To confuse you a bit more wrt clean calories: http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html

Pick something that's reasonable and that you think you can stick to long term. Get a handle on what exactly you're eating and the macronutrient spread of your diet on a weekly basis and go from there. I honestly wouldn't worry about calories too much for the first bit. If you're actually eating 1600 that's pretty low, but two more weeks of it where you figure out how much protein, fat, and carbs you've got coming in and how accurate your estimates are won't kill you. Keep an eye on your performance throughout the day and your measurements and weight.

The issue with team sports is that it's too easy to downregulate. If you're tired playing bball you can pass more and run a bit less, it's hard to accurately measure. I love sports as much as the next guy, but I think you should also be doing some activities that you can track for progress. Some kind of basic cardio where you can monitor speed and endurance, and some kind of resistance training where you can track strength gains. Doing so forces you to push yourself, you can't downregulate trying to run a 5k at a 7 min mile pace or deadlifting 10 lbs more than last time.

The final note is just a reiteration of what you've said. You seem to already have a good host of information that you're teaching your students. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for you too.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Do you log these cheat foods? This could be the problem. Even if I have a terrible day, I make sure I log it all, so then I can pull back the overage on another day. Cheat days are fine, as long as your total week comes at your calorie allowance. EG My calorie allowance is 1700 a day, so 11900 a week. Some days I may eat 1300 cals, others I might eat 2200 calories. But as long as my weeek is 11900, then its fine. I find it really helps having high days, as keeps your metabolism going, and doesnt make me feel like Im depriving myself, and can still enjoy myself if I go out for dinner.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been tested for an intolerance to certain food stuffs? Most people have some sort of intolerance or even an allergen to things. I myself Have a slight intolerance to white flour and try to avoid it as much as i can.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

6) Maintain your exercise.

Will you stop quoting this in threads? It's mostly bad advice and sounds like you're just trying to generate hits on your website/blog.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you lost weight last week but didn't lose any this week, what are you complaining about? You still lost weight in a matter of two weeks.
  • mikkieup
    Options
    Not tested but have had a holistic doctor in the past tell me dairy was causing the headaches I was having at the time...that was years ago and haven't had problems wtih it since. I've often wondered though...what type of doctor would I see for this testing? My husband really wants us to go see a nutritionist, but I can't find one in the area, and I feel I am learning a lot from MFP.
  • mikkieup
    Options
    Have you ever been tested for an intolerance to certain food stuffs? Most people have some sort of intolerance or even an allergen to things. I myself Have a slight intolerance to white flour and try to avoid it as much as i can.

Not tested but have had a holistic doctor in the past tell me dairy was causing the headaches I was having at the time...that was years ago and haven't had problems wtih it since. I've often wondered though...what type of doctor would I see for this testing? My husband really wants us to go see a nutritionist, but I can't find one in the area, and I feel I am learning a lot from MFP.
  • mikkieup
    Options
    If you lost weight last week but didn't lose any this week, what are you complaining about? You still lost weight in a matter of two weeks.

because I feel the first week was water weight due to the fact that my measurements have not changed.
  • mikkieup
    Options

Do you log these cheat foods? This could be the problem. Even if I have a terrible day, I make sure I log it all, so then I can pull back the overage on another day. Cheat days are fine, as long as your total week comes at your calorie allowance. EG My calorie allowance is 1700 a day, so 11900 a week. Some days I may eat 1300 cals, others I might eat 2200 calories. But as long as my weeek is 11900, then its fine. I find it really helps having high days, as keeps your metabolism going, and doesnt make me feel like Im depriving myself, and can still enjoy myself if I go out for dinner.

I slack on the weekends with the logging...my goal is to improve this also
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    def. raise your carbs and calories and stagger and vary them:O)
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options

1) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

3) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high in fiber.

4) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every couple of days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.)

5) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Please Ignore this. All you need is a reasonable caloric deficit.

I suggest you set your activity level as very active and your weight loss goal/week at no more than 1 lb/week (this should give you well over the 1600 that you are getting now). Since you don't have a lot to lose a goal of more than 1 lb/week is much too aggressive and may lead to the loss of a large % of lean mass as opposed to mostly fat.

THIS.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

For the love...STAHHHHHHP posting this nonsense in every thread! The only thing that is true is #6. The rest is garbage.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Go to a dietician, not a nutritionist.
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Please Ignore this. All you need is a reasonable caloric deficit.

I suggest you set your activity level as very active and your weight loss goal/week at no more than 1 lb/week (this should give you well over the 1600 that you are getting now). Since you don't have a lot to lose a goal of more than 1 lb/week is much too aggressive and may lead to the loss of a large % of lean mass as opposed to mostly fat.

Agreed.